Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy quotes?

I borrowed a Mobipocket edition of The Road by Cormac McCarthy from the library. What I want to know, is it true that it has no quotes at all? It's a very oddly formatted eBook. But as I've seen an eBook before that had no quotes or apostrophes, I thought I'd ask just in case the eBook is defective.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I had a look in Google Books. I found no quotes.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is going to be an odd read I would expect.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No apostrophe's in contractions either if I remember correctly. And I don't think there's much in the way of punctuation except for a period at the end of sentences.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
willijt
Zealot
willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willijt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Nook
The Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No apostrophe's in contractions either if I remember correctly. And I don't think there's much in the way of punctuation except for a period at the end of sentences.
Just a few moments ago finished reading this book. Totally unique. Incredible imagery with such economy in words and style. And it packed a message. It is something that I will be mulling over for many days to come.

It kind of put me in mind of a book I read a long time ago: "The Last Canadian" is a 1974 science fiction novel by William C. Heine. But this one really gripped me. Couldn't put it down, even though none of it created smiles and warmth within me.

I highly recommend this book. But don't pick it up at a time when life has got you down.

~jim
willijt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It doesn't have much punctuation. Here, let me sum up the whole story for you: I'm scared. I know, I'm sorry. I'm scared. I know, I'm sorry. (repeat 10,000 times) The end.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess
It doesn't have much punctuation. Here, let me sum up the whole story for you: I'm scared. I know, I'm sorry. I'm scared. I know, I'm sorry. (repeat 10,000 times) The end.
Ouch. That was a little harsh.
I much preferred willijt's review.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
It has no quotation marks, but I'll tell you, it didn't win a Pulitzer Prize for nothing. When I read that book, I couldn't put it down. Whatever I was doing that day, it didn't stand a chance until the last page of that book was read. It will be strange in the beginning, but once you get used to it, you in all likelihood will get lost in the story. I never read a book like that in my life. Just recently bought my own copy in paperback. It was the least I could do. You'll see.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Lack of punctuation, etc... was the author simply being lazy, or was it a stylistic choice that is unique to this particular book and not reflected in his other books?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #10
upplepop
upplepop is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Lack of punctuation, etc... was the author simply being lazy, or was it a stylistic choice that is unique to this particular book and not reflected in his other books?
It's a stylistic choice that I found to be appropriate and quite effective. The Road is a bleak novel set in a barren, dreary world. Likewise, the writing itself is bare -- devoid of any extraneous ornamentation or flourishes (such as quotation marks).
upplepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

McCarthy's minimalist approach to punctuation had nothing to do with the stark themes of The Road (although it did happen to compliment them quite nicely). That's just how he writes. Blood Meridian, No Country for Old Men, Suttree, Child of God, and The Road all exhibit the same style.

I wouldn't want everyone to do it, but it works for him. I'm in awe of his talent.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
How about a spoiler warning.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I don't think he was being lazy, he probably just never learned to punctuate properly. Amazing he ever got published really.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks everyone. Now I know my copy is not botched. That it really is as it is.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Ouch. That was a little harsh.
I much preferred willijt's review.
I am going with queentas' review. I got 100 pages into the book before I decided my life was too short to waste it on this book.

As for the Pulitzer.. all I can say is that the Emperor has no clothes.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote