Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #61
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua.P View Post
What is your stance if I already have a paper copy huh? Isn't the creator already compensated and as such it shouldn't matter if I download the ebook?
Just like all the free Blu-Rays they gave out for everyone who had a VHS or DVD.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #62
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Why are you making such a big fuss HansTWN? I saw the movie at the cinema, so I already rewarded the creator. Whats the big deal if I download to watch it again? And piracy isn't hurting any industry in the slightest. Profits are bigger than ever these days. Just see how much The Avengers made.
Because it IS a big deal.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #63
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
It does effect someone. It effects you in that you feel that you have to justify your actions and hope to have them applauded by a bunch of strangers on an internet forum.
The same thing could be said about you.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #64
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Why are you making such a big fuss HansTWN? I saw the movie at the cinema, so I already rewarded the creator.

Quote:
What is your stance if I already have a paper copy huh? Isn't the creator already compensated and as such it shouldn't matter if I download the ebook?
A paper movie; this I have got to see. Is it a flip book of some kind?
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #65
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Making you only half guilty?
Of what? In the specific situation I laid out, just where do you see some horrible sin I committed?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #66
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Exactly like the way Disney use their vault system. Periodically re-release movies for a short time then lock them away again. Too bad if you miss out, there is always a next time at a higher price.

Keeps those DVD/Blu-ray prices nice and high.

In reality they are contributing towards what they complain most about.
Copyright is a right, not an obligation. The owner of a copyright has the right to publish or not at a time of their choosing. There is no obligation to keep something available.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #67
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why are you making such a big fuss HansTWN? I saw the movie at the cinema, so I already rewarded the creator. Whats the big deal if I download to watch it again? And piracy isn't hurting any industry in the slightest. Profits are bigger than ever these days. Just see how much The Avengers made.
Because you paid for ONE viewing. If you want to watch it again, you go to the theater and pay another admission, or you buy or rent the film, or you wait for it to show up on TV.

You absolutely do not have a leg to stand on. Your attempt at self-justification is ridiculous.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #68
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Nogle, what the hell are you talking about? Where in my post did I say it was a movie? In one of my earlier posts, I gave an example of a book and a movie. And you quoted two separate posts. You can't make a good argument against me so thus you must misquote me and make it appear as if I said something I didn't. Real mature.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #69
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Just like all the free Blu-Rays they gave out for everyone who had a VHS or DVD.
Except that there have been trade-in programs for VHS and DVDs that offer a significant discount for upgrading; sometimes they have only asked for the UPC and not required a return of the tape or DVD. Would be nice if book publishers could do something similar.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #70
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
However, I recently bought three used VHS tapes of movies not available on DVD, copied two of them to DVD for my own use, then my VCR stopped working. I found an online copy of the third film (not a torrent, BTW) and downloaded it. It had been recorded from a TV broadcast.

Am I supposed to feel guilty? Who got victimized here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Because you paid for ONE viewing. If you want to watch it again, you go to the theater and pay another admission, or you buy or rent the film, or you wait for it to show up on TV.

You absolutely do not have a leg to stand on. Your attempt at self-justification is ridiculous.
Your own attempt at self-justification is just as equally "ridiculous". Using your own apparent logic... should you not have bought the VHS again?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #71
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmgreen View Post
The value you should contribute (price) is often
set by the distributor, and usually decays over time. If you
feel the initial price is too high, then wait. If you must have
it now, pay the get-it-now price. If you don't want to pay,
let someone else pay, then ask to borrow (not copy) it - from
a library, from a friend, or a social group. If a creator *wants*
people to have free access to the work, then the creator can
choose to place the work in the public domain.
That's a lot of ifs

One good thing about ebooks, is that they are available instantly to anyone with a connection to the library/network.

If everyone used the library, would creators still create?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #72
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
That's format shifting. My purchase of a Depeche Mode CD back in 1986 does not entitle me to free upgrades in new formats in perpetuity. Why would ebooks be any different?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #73
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
If everyone used the library, would creators still create?
If everyone got their books from the library, then libraries would have to buy a lot more books, thus the authors would get more money. But if authors were forbidden to sell their books to readers (as you have advocated in previous posts), and instead could only sell them to libraries, that would be a monumental violation of free speech. Power would be taken entirely out of the hands of readers.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #74
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Your own attempt at self-justification is just as equally "ridiculous". Using your own apparent logic... should you not have bought the VHS again?
No, what I need is a new VCR.

The tape was bought used--no benefit to the creators there. A tape is not available new--obviously--nor, as I said, is it available as a DVD. The avi file I downloaded came from a TV broadcast, apparent because of the logos, so it's not even as if the uploader distributed a commercial copy.

I do not see how what I did was any different from waiting some indeterminate amount of time for this rather unknown film to be on TV again, or borrowing a working VCR from someone to format shift. I took a shortcut, yes.

If this film is ever available on DVD, I'll eagerly order it.

So tell me, where is the crime, when I ended up with the same VHS plus a digital file, which is what I would have ended up with if my VCR had worked properly.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #75
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight

I'm not saying there was a crime crazy cat lady, I am in agreement with you on this matter. I asked how it was any different to what I said in my earlier post, and which you seemed to have some issue with, saying it was "ridiculous to justify".

Why should it be any different if it was a TV broadcast? So the logo makes it all perfectly A-Okay huh?