Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Softroot vs DRM

Why is it ok to have links to tools to softroot a nook and not links to tools to remove DRM?

Seems one is as bad as the other as far as gray areas go.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it ok to have links to tools to softroot a nook and not links to tools to remove DRM?

Jon, softroot allows you to install homebrew software onto the Nook device, software of any kind. Tools to remove DRM, well, they are solely meant to remove DRM. I don't see how the two relate to each other in terms of gray areas. What you personally do with either of the two techniques, and whether it is within the law of the country you live in, is not ours to judge. We only kindly ask you to accept that we do not want to nor cannot allow direct links to DRM cracking tools.

Thank you.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I know about DRM and linking to the tools. I was just using it as a comparison to say that softrooting a nook may be just as gray an area. It's the same sort of thing as jailbreaking an iPhone. For the iPhone/iPod, etc, I know Apple doesn't like it. I have no idea the stand of B&N.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Softroot for android phone never was a problem, i don't see why it would be the the nook.

There are some law that makes stripping off drm illegal in some county. As far as I know, softroot is illegal nowhere.

Quote:
It's the same sort of thing as jailbreaking an iPhone.
I'm not sure rooting do allows "hacking" apps. You can install external apps without rooting. (Well, not sure about the nook there, but for most android phones...)

Last edited by EowynCarter; 05-03-2010 at 11:19 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
It specifically relates to legislation such as the DMCA that makes it illegal to disseminate software or information that can be used to circumvent DRM.

Softrooting or even hard-rooting only invalidates your warranty, it is not illegal. If fact it is protected activity though Apple and others might like it if it were illegal and try to act as if it were.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
JSWolf brings up a valid point. I don't know why everyone just accepts on faith that breaking DRM is illegal and jailbreaking or rooting isn't. Neither of these have ever been challenged in court. Many people believe that stripping DRM for personal use would hold up in court and restrictions on it might be found unconstitutional. Furthermore, just last year Apple outright claimed that jailbreaking was against the DMCA. As the law is written, distributing jailbreaking software could also be seen as illegal. So it's not unreasonable to wonder why a forum censors one but not the other. Personally, I don't think either of these would hold up in court. However, the practical stance that I'm sure Mobileread takes is that they don't have the resources to combat a lawsuit and whereas take-down notices for DRM circumvention tools are ubiquitous, it hasn't been as widespread an issue for jailbreaking to rooting tools. But let's not pretend the two are completely different issues.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
It really depends on what you root. Apple claims jailbreaking circumvents DMCA due to their access control within apple devices that blocks unapproved iphone apps. It allows users to circumvent the apple store.

The nook softroot doesn't circumvent any B&N store limitation since there is no such limit. B&N hasn't tried to prevent the distribution of soft root software. Jailbreaking, rooting and hacking DRM are all subtly different. Conflate them at your peril.

PS. I don't agree with Apple's statement in any case but the that point is orthogonal to my main point.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:28 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Softrooting or even hard-rooting only invalidates your warranty
Oh, HTC better not refuse me warranty for HARDWARE trouble. I wouldn't accept it from dell either because I installed linux instead of windows.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Oh, HTC better not refuse me warranty for HARDWARE trouble. I wouldn't accept it from dell either because I installed linux instead of windows.
However if you do not restore to the 'factory' software - it is unclear if it is a hardware or software problem (ie is your Video acting up because the chip is fried, or because it is a bad driver.... or if I want to be really nasty, I could claim that the bad driver fried the chip and so is not covered).

Back to the topic, while not the goal of the policy (which is a to avoid legal hassles) it does make it easier for me to participate in the forums. If the policy were to allow the links my monitoring of MobileRead would be for entirely different (and objectionable to everybody) purposes.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
However if you do not restore to the 'factory' software - it is unclear if it is a hardware or software problem (ie is your Video acting up because the chip is fried, or because it is a bad driver.... or if I want to be really nasty, I could claim that the bad driver fried the chip and so is not covered).
Bad driver can hardly "fry" anything. (If that can happen, that is, IMHO, an hardware fault)

Plus I can always refers to default. The only things that would prevent it is a serious hardware failure. Or I totally screw up making backup (But there, I will know where the fault lies and accept paying for the mess I made.)

Last edited by EowynCarter; 05-05-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Exclamation

Quote:

I would say, having noted the remarks of those much more knowledgeable than I, it is at least partly due to the perspective of the company (-ies) holding the copyright/patent in question. No doubt softrooting your device (Nook or otherwise) violates the warranty, so if you make it suitable only for framing, use as a paperweight and instructive moral lessons regarding the evils of fiddling with things you know you should leave very well alone; the manufacturer, distributor, and whomever else has lost nothing.
An eBook publishers' perspective may be that, when you remove the DRM you are doing so for nefarious purposes, possible even freely distributing a product they sell. Others, on the internets, will download what you have sent out, and they, in turn, will distribute them as bit torrents. Pretty soon, you have the eBook equivalent of an offshore oil rig exploding, leaving the well to gush millions of gallons of oil -that could be refined and sold at a tremendous profit- into the Gulf of Mexico causing incalculable havoc to the planet, no to mention the lives and livelihoods of everyone in the world.

I might have exaggerated a little.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:

It's no longer an issue. According to today's (7/27) LA Times:

Quote:
The Library of Congress, as part of a regular review of copyright rules, has revised a 1998 position that banned phone owners from bypassing technical locks on the devices. The process, nicknamed jailbreaking, has been used by iPhone owners to buck AT&T Inc.'s exclusivity as the cell carrier for the device.
The complete article is at http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,4385067.story
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote