Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Kindle 4 PC non-responsive & pesky ....

I have a problem with my K4PC - I can't open it to use it as a reader, or see if purchases have arrived.
I can open my account OK , and I hit "Deliver to ..." but can't open the application itself.
[ This also means I can't Add stuff to my Calibre library, as any new buys have to go through K4PC - as far as I'm aware, anyway. That's a real bummer ...]

I am running XP(3) Home, dinosaur I know, but it was working fine at one time, and this is the only thing I've had trouble with so consistently.

I have had this twice before, and each time I've gone through Amazon Help, and - eventually - we've got one to "stick" and function.
The last time I "liaised" with Amazon, very recently, it took 6 uninstall /installs before one opened as it should. Until this, each new version would open a couple of times, then die.
The Amazon guys were mystified, as normally just one download does it.

This last one was OK for a few days, and I managed to catch up with importing books etc... but last night the damn thing packed up again ....

I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any ideas, before I try another ........ session of un/installs.

Is it possible it's the OS , and I need to finally upgrade ?
My malware/A-V etc.. shows no problems, and everything else works just fine.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Have you looked at the folder "My Kindle Content" to see if the books were delivered even though you can't open the app?
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've been running Kindle for PC on XP for a couple of years with no problems at all.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Gecko - yes, that side is always OK , they get into my account OK, but I then can't get into the appp to see, or read, or transfer it !
However, I have now (again!) uninstalled and re-installed a new one, and, naturally, it's working fine ..... And I've now got up to date again.

Watch this space, I think ! And I'll keep me fingies x-ed ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I've been running Kindle for PC on XP for a couple of years with no problems at all.
Yes, as did I, susan - it just seemed to pick on me, and decide to throw a wobbly for no reason I can find.
Wish it would pick on someone else ! (Not you, of course ... )

Anyway, I live in hope - at least, I try to !
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Hi Gecko - yes, that side is always OK , they get into my account OK, but I then can't get into the appp to see, or read, or transfer it !
However, I have now (again!) uninstalled and re-installed a new one, and, naturally, it's working fine ..... And I've now got up to date again.

Watch this space, I think ! And I'll keep me fingies x-ed ......

Yes, as did I, susan - it just seemed to pick on me, and decide to throw a wobbly for no reason I can find.
Wish it would pick on someone else ! (Not you, of course ... )

Anyway, I live in hope - at least, I try to !
When XP starts acting like this it's usually a corrupted O/S sometimes you can repair it but most of the times with XP a reinstall is in order but before I do anything drastic like that I would uninstall the program, then clean out the temp folders and anything in app data that is from Amazon. I would then go through the registry or if you feel comfortable enough you can use a registry cleaner one that let's you select what to clean. Another you could clean out is the Prefetch folder. In case it's something related to it. I can't tell you how many times I had to do this with certain programs when I was using XP.

You will need to redownload any books after this.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-24-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
If the books are in the "My Kindle Content" folder you can add them to calibre using the regular Add books option. That's how I always handle Amazon books.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard

No, died again, but after I managed to move some purchases into Calibre - but as soon as I bought another, down it went.
So I'm gonna try de=registering and re-registering, see if that helps.
It's seems to me obviously something from Kindle that's doing this, but what I don't know.
And Registry cleaning, not that I know what that is, sounds fairly tricky, to Mr TechDunce here, but I'd have a go. I'll Google it !
And, Gecko, thanks, but that is what I do too, but the problem is that because K4PC isn't opening, it's not (presumably) recieving any new purchases, so when I hit "Add", there are no additions there that have been passed on.
When I un/reinstall they mysteriously drift across and there they are - then K4PC seems to get tired and relapse !

But will attack it later today .....

Mumble, mumble. mumble .....................