Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
oiver55
Enthusiast
oiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: kindle
Kindle E-book on Non Kindle Device

I just published a book on amazon for kindle, I downloaded a sample on to my win 8 phone, and it looks all wonky. It is still readable but somethings just look unformatted and some icons don't resize when their suppose to. When I download the mobi file from KDP to view it on my kindle previewer everything looks and is working just fine.

Do people have any grounds for complaining if the e-book doesn't look formatted on a non kindle device while purchasing it from amazon which states it is a Kindle Edition?

[Promotional link removed - MODERATOR]

This is my first published E-book.

Also I notice in the table of contents preview on the amazon website some of my links appear to be not working when in fact they do when I download it and view it on kindle previewer.

Also any other helpful tips would be appreciated.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-29-2015 at 06:09 AM.
oiver55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
A. If you have a Kindle app on your Iphone, Windows phone or Android phone the book should be fine.
B. If for any reason someone doesn't like the book they have seven days to return it, no questions asked.
C. In my opinion, you have no problem but I'm not a lawyer.
D. I am assuming your question is legitimate and not simply a way to try and get people to look at your book.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I know of no resizable icons in any of the apps.

Of course people have a right to complain if the book looks like cr*p on one of the apps. Did you perhaps try to over-control the formatting? Keep in mind that everything has to reflow, so tight control of formatting is not possible.

I do notice a couple of non-links in the TOC in the Look Inside view. Make sure your start and end tags are correct. You might want to run it through an HTML validator to double-check. There are dozens of free ones online.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
oiver55
Enthusiast
oiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windows

when I say icons I mean images. For my image sizes I entered them in as pecetages and when I go through the different viewers on kindle previewer the images re adjust but when I check it out on my phone via the kindle app some things that are suppose to have their own page don't and some images appear way too big
Old 05-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
oiver55
Enthusiast

Hey Susan what do you consider Over-Control?
Advert
Old 05-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Trying to force alignment, or what appears on a single screen - that kind of thing.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
oiver55
Enthusiast

Yeah that's exactly what I did, I edited it until it looked just the way I wanted it to on the kindle previewer.

Didn't know there was a such thing as over doing it
Old 05-29-2015, 01:30 AM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard

Yes, there is. You can never predict the font size or screen size on an ereader, so you just have to go with the flow.