Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
Fred
Edge User

Unhappy usable area einkt screen pocket edge

I'm a happy new uer of the PE but are strangely supprised about the small usable area of the einkt screen.
it seems that for reading an area of app 0.5 cm around the text on all 4 sizes is allways left empty. Add the used area for the menus on the bottom andd top of the page and the 6" screen is decresed to a 4" screen.......
this is a pity or is my PE faulty?

Also in the journal is the area of 0.5 cm no usable because writing in this area gives strange results, the characters are squeezed a little bit.

anybody else who experiened the same?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
sjarrel
Edge User

I don't know about the PE, I have the EE, but the erea around the text depends a lot about how the file (PDF) was saved. If I use reflow there is sometimes a lot of unused space. If I don't reflow I can zoom untill there is no space left: the whole screen is used. Maybe this will work for you too.

Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
borisb
Edge User

I'm guessing you're reading an EPUB on eInk as opposed to PDF. The margins used are controlled in the settings (on the LCD side, press Menu, then Settings - eDGe Settings - Reader Preferences - Reader Margin Preferences). Set the margins to "Small" so that the text fill as much of the screen as possible.

For the Journal issues around the margins, recalibrate the eInk screen (on the LCD side, press Menu, then Settings - Sound & Display - Reader Screen Calibrator). Calibration of both the eInk and LCD screens is required from time to time, basically whenever you notice odd response to your stylus/finger.

Finally, the loss of screen space due to the top and bottom menu bars is something we have to live with for now

Old 02-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Fred
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I'm guessing you're reading an EPUB on eInk as opposed to PDF. The margins used are controlled in the settings (on the LCD side, press Menu, then Settings - eDGe Settings - Reader Preferences - Reader Margin Preferences). Set the margins to "Small" so that the text fill as much of the screen as possible.

For the Journal issues around the margins, recalibrate the eInk screen (on the LCD side, press Menu, then Settings - Sound & Display - Reader Screen Calibrator). Calibration of both the eInk and LCD screens is required from time to time, basically whenever you notice odd response to your stylus/finger.

Finally, the loss of screen space due to the top and bottom menu bars is something we have to live with for now
Thanks for your advise, but I already did them both (calibration and control of the margins in the menu). I guess I have to live with the limitted area, it's just a pity.
Maybe we get an improvement in the upcoming Froyo update ? (if this ever happens pfffff)

Old 02-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Fred
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrel View Post
I don't know about the PE, I have the EE, but the erea around the text depends a lot about how the file (PDF) was saved. If I use reflow there is sometimes a lot of unused space. If I don't reflow I can zoom untill there is no space left: the whole screen is used. Maybe this will work for you too.
Hi Sjarrel,

No, even with reflow off and zooming in on an pdf the maximum zoom always leaves a margin between the edge (or menu) and the text.
I don't know if more PE users experience this ?
I like to know if this is normal behaviour or if the device needs adjustment.

Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
goodspeech
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Hi Sjarrel,

No, even with reflow off and zooming in on an pdf the maximum zoom always leaves a margin between the edge (or menu) and the text.
I don't know if more PE users experience this ?
I like to know if this is normal behaviour or if the device needs adjustment.
I have the PE and find the closer I get to the edge the less accurate/precise it becomes. I duo have a margin around the screen that does not like eink.