Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Cinderela
Enthusiast
Cinderela began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Collections glitch

I have a brand new Fire HD (2nd gen) and a brand new PW (2nd gen) (both less than 3 months old). Yes, they are registered to the same account.

Collection problem in a nutshell:

Collection created on PW shows immediately, in it's entirety on the HD.

Collection created on HD does NOT show on PW.

Collection created on PW, add book to collection from the HD, does not show on the PW.

Both Amazon help pages say they are both "cloud collection compatible".

It's probably something stupid I have to switch on or off, but I sure can't tell what it is. With 2,000 books in my library, I can't live without collections.

Has anyone heard of this before or have any suggestions for fixing the problem?
Cinderela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
Cinderela
Enthusiast

Hope this isn't considered spam, because quite some time has passed.

This problem is driving me !

Extensive time on the phone with Amazon has, of course, not solved the problem. Their answer (unspoken, of course) is that I must be unable to follow the insanely simple directions - it *can't* be happening, because it *shouldn't* be happening. As if they don't know everything about what I am doing with my Kindle.

As if they can't see I've purchased 6 Kindles from them in the last 2 years. And have additional Kindle reading apps on my phone & pc.

I can fine NO ONE that has any idea why it works from the PW to the HD, but won't work the reverse. Last page read synch works perfectly both ways.

I'll try any suggestion short of factory reset (I'll do that as a last resort only, if I'm sure it will work.)

Anyone have ANY ideas at all to solve this issue?
Old 09-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
First it is not you. I have experienced this problem as well, for whatever reason the PW does not accept changes easily from android type devices. Not only do I encounter this problem with the Collections, but the same with the last page read, though with the recent updates that has improved. As to the Collections problem, I only use my PW to create and change collections, to avoid this issue. Though if memory serves with the pw, the book whose changes you are trying to implement on the pw would have to be on the pw for the changes to take place with fewer problems, but that is not 100% either. Also I think I used to duplicate it on the pw to get it to work right.

But like I said, I find it easier to just use the pw to create/change collections because although Amazon states the Cloud Collections sync across all devices, it seems they are driven by the eink device and that one it seems they all update from, even though you have made the change on one of the android-type devices. I did not get any confirmation of this from Amazon, that is just from my personal observations.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderela View Post
Hope this isn't considered spam, because quite some time has passed.

This problem is driving me !

Extensive time on the phone with Amazon has, of course, not solved the problem. Their answer (unspoken, of course) is that I must be unable to follow the insanely simple directions - it *can't* be happening, because it *shouldn't* be happening. As if they don't know everything about what I am doing with my Kindle.

As if they can't see I've purchased 6 Kindles from them in the last 2 years. And have additional Kindle reading apps on my phone & pc.

I can fine NO ONE that has any idea why it works from the PW to the HD, but won't work the reverse. Last page read synch works perfectly both ways.

I'll try any suggestion short of factory reset (I'll do that as a last resort only, if I'm sure it will work.)

Anyone have ANY ideas at all to solve this issue?
In all probability all the collections are there, but you are seeing only collections that have 'Show In All Views' toggled. Collections created on other devices by default do not 'show in all views'.

On the Home screen, the header shows a dropdown list in the middle. If you touch that you should see a list appear: All Items, Books, Periodicals, Docs, Collections, Active Content (greyed out if that category is empty). Select Collections and you should see all of the collections listed. There might be some with stars (those are the ones you see in all views) and some without stars (those you only see in 'Collections' view). Touch and hold on a collection to bring up a menu to change visibility of that collection on that Kindle (it has no effect on other Kindles or Kindle apps).

Personally I prefer to see collections only in Collections view so none of mine are 'starred', and Collection 'sort order' is disabled. I just think it looks 'cleaner' not to have collections and items mixed together in the same list. Most of the time I keep it in Recent order, and the things I'm currently reading are all on page one or two. But I can also switch to Collections view to browse by collection.

If you have any collection 'starred' then you will also have 'Collection' sort available. That lets you configure things to look like they did before the Cloud Collections update.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
Cinderela
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
First it is not you. I have experienced this problem as well, for whatever reason the PW does not accept changes easily from android type devices. Not only do I encounter this problem with the Collections, but the same with the last page read, though with the recent updates that has improved. As to the Collections problem, I only use my PW to create and change collections, to avoid this issue. Though if memory serves with the pw, the book whose changes you are trying to implement on the pw would have to be on the pw for the changes to take place with fewer problems, but that is not 100% either. Also I think I used to duplicate it on the pw to get it to work right.

But like I said, I find it easier to just use the pw to create/change collections because although Amazon states the Cloud Collections sync across all devices, it seems they are driven by the eink device and that one it seems they all update from, even though you have made the change on one of the android-type devices. I did not get any confirmation of this from Amazon, that is just from my personal observations.
I am so relieved that it is not just me! After all the kindles I've had, I would have felt totally stupid if it was a simple error. I haven't researched the subject, do you know if we can just manage our collections from the cloud? Or from the PC app? The PW isn't overly friendly arranging collections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
In all probability all the collections are there, but you are seeing only collections that have 'Show In All Views' toggled. Collections created on other devices by default do not 'show in all views'.

On the Home screen, the header shows a dropdown list in the middle. If you touch that you should see a list appear: All Items, Books, Periodicals, Docs, Collections, Active Content (greyed out if that category is empty). Select Collections and you should see all of the collections listed. There might be some with stars (those are the ones you see in all views) and some without stars (those you only see in 'Collections' view). Touch and hold on a collection to bring up a menu to change visibility of that collection on that Kindle (it has no effect on other Kindles or Kindle apps).

Personally I prefer to see collections only in Collections view so none of mine are 'starred', and Collection 'sort order' is disabled. I just think it looks 'cleaner' not to have collections and items mixed together in the same list. Most of the time I keep it in Recent order, and the things I'm currently reading are all on page one or two. But I can also switch to Collections view to browse by collection.

If you have any collection 'starred' then you will also have 'Collection' sort available. That lets you configure things to look like they did before the Cloud Collections update.
Yes, I agree with the clean look. I have mine configured the same way. The problem is the PW doesn't recognize changes to collections made on the fire. New collections created on the fire don't show on the PW. Items added or subtracted from collections on the fire aren't reflected on the PW. Yet, the fire flawlessly reads all changes made on the PW.

I have an old 3G KB still registered on my account. I wonder if it could be of any help solving this problem. The KB was pretty collection friendly.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
New collections created on the fire don't show on the PW. Items added or subtracted from collections on the fire aren't reflected on the PW. Yet, the fire flawlessly reads all changes made on the PW.

I have an old 3G KB still registered on my account. I wonder if it could be of any help solving this problem. The KB was pretty collection friendly.
I've had no similar issues with my PW and or Fire.

Note that the problem could be on either device. If you can borrow someone's Android or iOS device you could try for a third opinion with the respective Kindle apps. The nice thing about cloud collections is that you can edit them without having to download any content.

Amazon CS would probably have you de-register and re-register. Have you tried that?

The Kindle Keyboard doesn't support cloud collections. It would be of no help.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
Cinderela
Enthusiast

Quote:
I've had no similar issues with my PW and or Fire.

Note that the problem could be on either device. If you can borrow someone's Android or iOS device you could try for a third opinion with the respective Kindle apps. The nice thing about cloud collections is that you can edit them without having to download any content.

Amazon CS would probably have you de-register and re-register. Have you tried that?

The Kindle Keyboard doesn't support cloud collections. It would be of no help.
Yes, de-register & re-register is the first thing they tried. What about Kindle for PC? Do you know if it supports cloud collections? I download everything there first to import to Calibre, because then my entire library is backed up to my external back up drive. I've seen collections on the PC app. Dragging & dropping would be awesome!
Old 09-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, de-register & re-register is the first thing they tried. What about Kindle for PC? Do you know if it supports cloud collections? I download everything there first to import to Calibre, because then my entire library is backed up to my external back up drive. I've seen collections on the PC app. Dragging & dropping would be awesome!
Do you de-register re-register both devices?

The PC apps support collections but they are not cloud collections.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
Cinderela
Enthusiast

Quote:
Do you de-register re-register both devices?

The PC apps support collections but they are not cloud collections.
I think so, but the conversation spanned several days. Couldn't hurt to try it again, just to be sure.

I'll try & report back. Thanks so much for the assistance!