Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #31
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I have never been in an Apple Store where the iStaff did not outnumber the
consumers. Unless you are counting employees, the Apple Stores where I live are empty between product launches.

FWIW, my college kid and my high school freshman both want Samsung phones. I'm pushing back to see what Amazon does.
Total opposite... and just as useful as any other anecdotal comments ever posted on MR - subject to attack in a later post... oh and you did notice the sarcastic smiley, didn't you???
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
alissacallen
alissacallen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Interesting article! I live in a rural area of Australia and so we are no doubt behind the times but apple ( ipads and ipod touches) are a 'must have' teenage accessory.
alissacallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #33
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
subject to attack in a later post... oh and you did notice the sarcastic smiley, didn't you???
You cannot attack my observations without calling me a liar -- smiley doesn't insulate against personal attacks.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #34
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
You cannot attack my observations without calling me a liar -- smiley doesn't insulate against personal attacks.
Did NOT dispute your observation of a store near you, was talking about a store that I pass several times a week, sometimes several times a day hence my post, "Total opposite... and just as useful as any other anecdotal comments ever posted on MR - subject to attack in a later post... oh and you did notice the sarcastic smiley, didn't you??? "

To explain simply - "Total opposite" means my experience is the total opposite of yours and is NOT a personal attack on you... "and just as useful as any other anecdotal comments ever posted on MR - subject to attack in a later post... " means exactly what it says, it's an anecdote like your comment and as such would be subject to attacks on its value/validity... hmm, rather like you attacking what you think I said as opposed to my actual words - see what I mean about anecdotes... and the smileys were intended as punctuation not insulation as I didn't expect to need insulation with a simple comment...

Still, with sensitivities as exposed as some seem to be, please accept my sincere apologies if you feel that you were being attacked... you weren't.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #35
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
It's OK. I don't mind. It's just that when people say, "with all due respect," they usually mean none (I do, anyway).

Don't worry about it.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #36
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
EDIT: Deleted--Decided I didn't really add anything of value here.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:57 AM   #37
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I was beyond amazed when my 10 yo nephew adamantly refused an Apple notebook for Christmas. He really, really wanted a Windows. Go figure. His parents tried to play the coolness card, also because they just replaced their laptop with an Apple one, but he refused and is happy with his Win 8 ultrabook.

He has an iPad3 and an iPod Touch 5th gen (not like there is any competition for it), so he is not immune to Apple, but I still found his laptop choice intriguing.

Last edited by xendula; 01-13-2013 at 03:00 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #38
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Wouldn't most teenagers want a pc because the gaming choices / options are better?

I'm not a gamer but the one time I saw a game that interested me it was PC only, still is.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #39
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I remember when my youngest brother (now 43) was in school, they all had Apple's (commodores, I think). I was jealous they had computers in the school.

I believe that most school systems these days use Windows though, so I wouldn't be surprised he'd want what he's used to.

When the time came for me to buy my own personal computer for the first time, I was partial to the Apple Macs, but I also knew I'd be using Windows 3.1/DOS at work, and I didn't want to have to learn two operating systems at the same time. So I chose the PC.

My middle brother works in printing, and he's Apple all the way. But that's what *he* uses at work. Never fails to give me major grief about my Windoze . But it seems to me that a lot of people just choose the one they're used to, unless to "other kind" has something special they really want.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #40
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I remember when my youngest brother (now 43) was in school, they all had Apple's (commodores, I think). I was jealous they had computers in the school.

I believe that most school systems these days use Windows though, so I wouldn't be surprised he'd want what he's used to.

When the time came for me to buy my own personal computer for the first time, I was partial to the Apple Macs, but I also knew I'd be using Windows 3.1/DOS at work, and I didn't want to have to learn two operating systems at the same time. So I chose the PC.

My middle brother works in printing, and he's Apple all the way. But that's what *he* uses at work. Never fails to give me major grief about my Windoze . But it seems to me that a lot of people just choose the one they're used to, unless to "other kind" has something special they really want.
Apple not make Commodore.
IIc, IIe were first Apple I think
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #41
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
Apple not make Commodore.
IIc, IIe were first Apple I think
Okay. I'm sure they were Apples at the school. The Commodore must be the game console he had at home.

My school thought it was hot when we got Selectric II typewriters.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #42
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Okay. I'm sure they were Apples at the school. The Commodore must be the game console he had at home.

My school thought it was hot when we got Selectric II typewriters.
commodore C64 nice small computer of time

typewriter ball typing heads wonderful
change to get different language
character

I use personally mainly for "resume"
many times for different country

much easier now with printers

Last edited by forsooth; 01-13-2013 at 05:01 AM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #43
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Wouldn't most teenagers want a pc because the gaming choices / options are better?
I am not so sure.
At the very beginning of the computer revolution only a small handful of people had PC. Those were people that had actual use for PC. They wanted to do some work on PC, make a program, create content, do some analysis in spreadsheet, do bookkeeping ...
Later on, general public started to get PCs, so they could do some light browsing, look at some photos, listen to music, look at video from netflix, have a skype call ...
Today situation is changing, because there are appliances - such as Kindle Fire, iPad, Android tablets, ... that provide most of the functionality that a non-programmer, non-geek ever needs. So the general public doesn't need to have PC anymore. They are happy with a iPad or whatever that "just works" (TM). And PCs are again just for a handful of geeks that have meaningful use for them. We have once again made a full circle.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #44
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I was beyond amazed when my 10 yo nephew adamantly refused an Apple notebook for Christmas. He really, really wanted a Windows. Go figure. His parents tried to play the coolness card, also because they just replaced their laptop with an Apple one, but he refused and is happy with his Win 8 ultrabook.

He has an iPad3 and an iPod Touch 5th gen (not like there is any competition for it), so he is not immune to Apple, but I still found his laptop choice intriguing.
Good for him!

Damn rebellious pre-teens anyway!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #45
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I've been an Apple fan forever, but I am becoming seriously bored with the never-changing design of the devices (with the exception of size). Due to its past history, I keep waiting (in vain) for a bit of revolution instead of the continual evolution.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote