Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
NT reader app losing information?

Does anyone else have a problem with their NT losing ebook information?

It seems like every time I turn around, my NT is opening up to the front cover of the book I'm currently reading, rather than my last read location. I then have to find my place manually, which is frustrating enough, but I also lose all notes and highlights I may've made. My wife's NT seems to suffer from the same issue so I'm assuming it must not be something only mine suffers from.

Does anyone know what causes this or what we may be able to do to prevent it?

I haven't noticed a lot of patterns to this data loss yet but I have started to notice that it will definitely happen after having our NTs hooked up to our computers by the USB cable.

Any ideas?

On another note, on my Kindle 3, it would save all of my bookmarks, highlights, notes, etc. in a file called My Clippings. Basically this was just a text file with this information stored in it. I could go back a review notes I'd made, etc., even after the ebook had been deleted from my Kindle. Does the NT do something similar? If so, will someone please tell me the name and location of the file where this information is saved?

Thanks in advance for any information anyone may be able to provide.

Sincerely,
- Byron & Cari Followell
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Mine doesn't show this problem, but I would suggest you exit the book you're reading before you connect to the PC. I remember one of the nooks have this issue, the reader would not handle gracefully the media partition being unmounted (so it can be accessed on the PC), and would lose your current page - but that was supposed to be fixed.

Regarding the annotations, I don't use those, but I believe the data is stored internally, so you can't access it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
warstar
warstar began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook
Solution

Hi there.

I had this problem too..and the only way to solve the problem is to actually go to the book using the library. Instead of clicking on the picture of the book on the home screen, simply go to the library and then go to the book you were reading.

If you want to do it the way I do, then simply create a shelf that you name currently reading, and add 4 books that you are currently reading, and then you can simply go back and forth in the library as if it were your own home screen.

--
Kind Regards,
Warstar
warstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warstar View Post
Hi there.

I had this problem too..and the only way to solve the problem is to actually go to the book using the library. Instead of clicking on the picture of the book on the home screen, simply go to the library and then go to the book you were reading.
Thanks for the suggestion but I rarely went to a book from the Home screen anyway. It really seems to make no difference for me where I go to a book from. It just seems extremely buggy and rarely remembers any information for more than a time or two of opening and then everything gets wiped; bookmarks, notes, highlights, everything. It really makes it a waste of time to do anything.

The really odd thing is the occasionally, after losing all of my info, saving a new bookmark, opening and book five or six times, out of the blue, I'll lose mu current bookmarks, notes, etc. and all of my data from three or four times ago will suddenly reappear. It's all very, VERY strange.

As much as I love my new NT, I'm really thinking of going back to my K3 for novel reading and using my NT for playing.

- Byron
Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic

It sounds like this is an issue with the Nook Touch. There's a thread about it here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1467429

The issue they describe in this thread sounds pretty much exactly like what my NT is doing.

I've checked out the files listed and all but one of them exist on my NT in the same locations. I'm not sure if the fix they're discussing here would work on my Tablet or not but I may give it a try.

- Byron
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
Are your books in your my files/books folder? My NT kept losing my place in some sideloaded epubs until I moved them out of my download directory into this one.
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
bfollowell
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseeking View Post
Are your books in your my files/books folder? My NT kept losing my place in some sideloaded epubs until I moved them out of my download directory into this one.
Nope. I've never had mine anywhere other than the My Files\Books folder on my SD card.

- Byron