Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
First impressions of Kobo's newest ereader

Comparing with Sony Pocket Edition, nothing else

Positives

P1. Almost as good as Sony pocket edition small size and weight wise
P2. Wifi that Sony doesn't have
P3. Bigger screen than SONY
P4. Lower price
P5. Chapters sells simple sleeve covers

Negatives

N1. Cumbersome highlighting method that doesn't always take (maybe mine is a reject or highlight shows up only in text size put on originally?)
N2. I prefer combination of mechanical buttons and touch screen of Sony
N3. Strong flashing/ghosting when change pages. Sony has none of this distracting ugly image wierdness.
N4. No scribbling feature (not a big deal for me)
N5. If it has a bookmark feature it isn't obvious to me
N6. Instructions how to delete highlights not obvious (and not even in user guide).
N7. No customer service by phone in Canada (email/web only). USA?
N8. Poorer book selection
N9. Sleeve covers are pig leather, so will offend vegetarians, Hindus and especially Muslims. And they are overpriced, at about 25% price of ereader!

A difference (neither good nor bad really) is that Sony looks like a work of art. The Kobo ereader looks functional.

I see that local Sony Store has brought down price by 10% to compete with release of Kobo's new model. When it comes down another 10-15% I will probably buy a Sony again.

Last edited by hermes; 06-14-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: additional info
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From the Kobo Reader website:

Quote:
QUICK HELP Call 1-866-204-4714 (8am-12am EST) Email: help@kobobooks.com (24 hours) or use our online Help
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes View Post
Comparing with Sony Pocket Edition, nothing else

Positives

P1. Almost as good as Sony pocket edition small size and weight wise
P2. Wifi that Sony doesn't have
P3. Bigger screen than SONY
P4. Lower price
P5. Chapters sells simple sleeve covers

Negatives

N1. Cumbersome highlighting method that doesn't always take (maybe mine is a reject or highlight shows up only in text size put on originally?)
N2. I prefer combination of mechanical buttons and touch screen of Sony
N3. Strong flashing/ghosting when change pages. Sony has none of this distracting ugly image wierdness.
N5. If it has a bookmark feature it isn't obvious to me
N6. Instructions how to delete highlights not obvious (and not even in user guide).
N7. No customer service by phone in Canada (email/web only). USA?
N8. Poorer book selection
N9. Sleeve covers are pig leather, so will offend vegetarians, Hindus and especially Muslims. And they are overpriced, at about 25% price of ereader!

A difference (neither good nor bad really) is that Sony looks like a work of art. The Kobo ereader looks functional.

I see that local Sony Store has brought down price by 10% to compete with release of Kobo's new model. When it comes down another 10-15% I will probably buy a Sony again.

I do have to ask; with all the negatives against the kobo vs the sony; why did you return the sony? not meant to be a snotty question by any means, but it seems like you really do prefer the sony over the kobo...
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Every time you close the book, move to your home page, etc. bookmarking is automatic. I don't have my Touch in front of me, but I believe you can add bookmarks in other ways. You will see a dogmark fold in the upper right when you bookmark. In Canada, the six inch Sony is almost never available and cost over $100 more. The non-touch Kobo WiFi had no ghosting either. You are comparing oranges and bananas. And Hermes, if you are planning on developing a big library, you may want a reader that takes an SD card--the Sony 350 does not.

Kobo Help Line, United States and Canada: 1-866-204-4714 (8am - 12am EST)

Maybe you should take another look.

Last edited by taming; 06-14-2011 at 10:00 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Every time you close the book, move to your home page, etc. bookmarking is automatic. I don't have my Touch in front of me, but I believe you can add bookmarks in other ways. In Canada, the six inch Sony is almost never available and cost over $100 more.

Kobo Help Line, United States and Canada: 1-866-204-4714 (8am - 12am EST)

Maybe you should take another look.
Highlights are the only way that I could see as a way to add extra book marks, and of course, only on KEPUB books; there's an update bookmark option, again only for KEPUB, which updates your current bookmark to your online profile, but I don't believe it updates highlights; will check this when I get home. Interesting though, because the chapters site does tout multiple bookmarks on the touch compared to kobo wifi, which is separate from their mentioning highlights.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
How is it cumbersome? you hold down on the place you want to highlight, and you drag the perimeter balls the length you want to highlight, and then hit save. as for not always taking; that is an odd one. I've tried a number of different things (re-sized fonts, finished the book, etc) and the highlights were always there. until I deleted them. the only thing I've found is that the highlights you do on the e-reader will not reflect the highlights you have in the desktop software once you sync them.

As for deleting, again I'm not sure how it wasn't obvious, but the help option on the kobo itself did indeed have instructions on page 9:

to delete a highlight:
1. tap the middle of your page to see your reading options.
2. tap the menu icon (sorry, I don't have an icon to represent that, but there is one there)
3. select the highlights from the menu.
your ereader will show a list of all the highlighs
you've made in your book.
4. tap the check box next to the highlights you wish to delete
5. tap delete

it really can't be more plan than that.

Quote:
If this isn't a big deal for you, it shouldn't be considered a negative
Old 06-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you buy the Sony, will you post there and not here? Buy it!

I know this is rude, but when a person tries something in the store for a few minutes--and if it is like most store models, not necessarily one that has the update applied--misses some of the features (ummm no bookmarking), misstates other things (ummm phone support) and pays very little attention to the differences that have to do with the technolgy behind touch screen/no touch screen or notice the sd card/no sd card, then in my not so humble opinion, he should get more familiar with what he held in his hand before writing a review.

Last edited by taming; 06-14-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: probably still rude, but a fuller answer
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
If this isn't a big deal for you, it shouldn't be considered a negative
While the review is obviously just his personal opinion, I think the negatives and positives in a review should include anything that the reviewer thinks will be important to some of his/her readers, not just the things that the reviewer considers important to his or herself.

I haven't picked up a touch yet, and am using each of these user reviews and discussions to decide if its worth the upgrade at this time. I have a large amount of books that I would be sideloading through Calibre, so the lack of highlighting and dictionary on sideloaded books is a significant disappointment.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0AT View Post
While the review is obviously just his personal opinion, I think the negatives and positives in a review should include anything that the reviewer thinks will be important to some of his/her readers, not just the things that the reviewer considers important to his or herself.

I haven't picked up a touch yet, and am using each of these user reviews and discussions to decide if its worth the upgrade at this time. I have a large amount of books that I would be sideloading through Calibre, so the lack of highlighting and dictionary on sideloaded books is a significant disappointment.
I don't disagree you, in general; While I think some of his negatives are definitely valid, anything that he found different/lacking compared to the sony should probably be put in a separate "nice to haves" type of section, because he really didn't find it negative. I know I'm just splitting hairs, but I'm having a slow day
Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
I do have to ask; with all the negatives against the kobo vs the sony; why did you return the sony? not meant to be a snotty question by any means, but it seems like you really do prefer the sony over the kobo...
Can't speak for Hermes, but: 1) His broke (announced elsewhere) and 2) It's common to think that something else might be better and not know until you actually give it a shot.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
Can't speak for Hermes, but: 1) His broke (announced elsewhere) and 2) It's common to think that something else might be better and not know until you actually give it a shot.
Sorry, I don't follow all of Hermes' Posts, so I didn't know.

As for the second point you made, without knowing the first, one would assume that you'd purchase a second device to try it out, then return/get rid of the one you didn't like. Obviously if it broke, he returned and decided to try the kobo instead for shits and giggles, it makes sense, but in this particular posting, the one I read, he didn't mention his sony breaking. but thank you for informing me.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Sorry, I don't follow all of Hermes' Posts, so I didn't know.

As for the second point you made, without knowing the first, one would assume that you'd purchase a second device to try it out, then return/get rid of the one you didn't like. Obviously if it broke, he returned and decided to try the kobo instead for shits and giggles, it makes sense, but in this particular posting, the one I read, he didn't mention his sony breaking. but thank you for informing me.
No need to apologize. You do follow all of my posts, though, right?

And you're right about the normal method; it's exactly what I'm doing right now with the Nook Color*... if it ever arrives, that is (grumble, mumble, why send tracking information if it's never updated...). So, yeah, I get how that would look weird.

* Wow, a completely different direction from my previous consideration to switch to the Kobo Touch. Go figure.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
And you're right about the normal method; it's exactly what I'm doing right now with the Nook Color*...

* Wow, a completely different direction from my previous consideration to switch to the Kobo Touch. Go figure.
lol sorry, don't follow your posts closely either, but I guess it really depends on what swayed you to the nook

Myself, I couldn't go for an LCD ereader only; if I'm going to do that, I'll go full blown and buy a full featured tablet, because as an ereader only, LCD just doesn't cut it outside in full sunlight (although great for night reading).
Old 06-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT

Really, Really? What does that have to do with the kobo ereader? If it was made out of cow leather would it be a problem for someone, or if it is synthetic doesnt that tick off the environmentalists?

Sorry this is a bogus post Herme's is trolling
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post

Really, Really? What does that have to do with the kobo ereader? If it was made out of cow leather would it be a problem for someone, or if it is synthetic doesnt that tick off the environmentalists?
i briefly looked at the OP and then browsed through the replies, wish i would have seen this earlier to get a good chuckle earlier than now.

i don't see how that can be a negative against the reader itself, there are plenty of options for the kobo with regards to sleeves and cases.

Last edited by siraks; 06-14-2011 at 02:44 PM.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote