Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Unresponsive to button press

I noticed an interesting thing last night...

When I started to read battery meter was on 20%. Couple of hours into the book it started - when page down is pressed, led becomes green but nothing happens and I have to press it again and sometimes even for the third time for press to register.

Anyone else noticed this?

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe it needs to be charged for it to fully recognize your page turns. Could be that after the battery gets so low, it doesn't always recognize the page turns. This however is a total guess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:59 AM   #3
mattgam
Enthusiast
mattgam began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505,Cybook Gen 3, Astak Pocket Pro
For what its worth i see the exact same page turn problem even when the battery is fully charged. I absolutely love the size of the cybook but I've been hit by both the bookmarks problem people have reported as well as this one and it really is driving me nuts. I've found if I really crush the page turn button and hold it for what seems like a rather long time then 90% of my attempts will actually turn a page. Hopefully Bookeen fixes these issues at some point. Till then I'm pretty sure I'll be goign back to my prs-500 soon.
mattgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgam View Post
For what its worth i see the exact same page turn problem even when the battery is fully charged. I absolutely love the size of the cybook but I've been hit by both the bookmarks problem people have reported as well as this one and it really is driving me nuts. I've found if I really crush the page turn button and hold it for what seems like a rather long time then 90% of my attempts will actually turn a page. Hopefully Bookeen fixes these issues at some point. Till then I'm pretty sure I'll be goign back to my prs-500 soon.
What version of firmware you have? Mine came with build 538 and so far this is the only oddity I've noticed. I had only 2-3 resets due to XXXL pdf's...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:03 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I have it a lot of times, that when i press the pageturn button, the LED goes on, but nothing happens.
Bookeen are aware of the problem, and will try to have a fix with the next firmware update.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find that if you hold the button down until the screen blanks, it's 100% reliable. Just needs to be held in that little bit longer than one normally would.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I know, but that should not be. its a problem with the interrupt timing. Should be a solvable problem.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree. It's clearly a software problem, not a hardware one, because the "activity" LED lights with 100% reliability when you click the button.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree. It's clearly a software problem, not a hardware one, because the "activity" LED lights with 100% reliability when you click the button.

I've noticed that the more often I use the Cybooks and the more often I cycle through the charger, the lower the 'freeze due to insufficient power' level drops. On this most recent unit, I'm hovering at about 30%, but it was 40% fresh out of the box early last month. However, my 'engineering sample' unit - before I broke it - was down to 10% power level before freezing.

And yes, for those who are new, this 'freeze' indicates that you've run below minimum power and need to re-charge.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I've noticed that the more often I use the Cybooks and the more often I cycle through the charger, the lower the 'freeze due to insufficient power' level drops. On this most recent unit, I'm hovering at about 30%, but it was 40% fresh out of the box early last month. However, my 'engineering sample' unit - before I broke it - was down to 10% power level before freezing.
I strongly suspect that what's actually happening is that the battery meter's calibration is becoming increasingly accurate the more charge cycles it goes through.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
if Bookeen was to disable the LED light when you pressed the button, you'd have more battery life per charge.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if Bookeen was to disable the LED light when you pressed the button, you'd have more battery life per charge.
I don't think Bookeen's software has control over that. But we really won't know until we find out more about the OS, will we?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I really really love my CyBook ... oh the gods and my wife know that I do ... but I would very much like to smack the people responsible for the buttons on the device ... just once ...
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
I haven't had any problems operating my Cybook, but I only read about an hour or so a day (sigh, high school teacher!). I don't understand why they made the page turn dependent upon pressing a thin silver-colored square border around a larger, center button. Seems very silly to me -- I love the way the EB1150 handles buttons (well, and pretty much everything, except that it's so heavy.) I must say I don't have any problem at all on forward page turns -- my Cybook runs well forward with just one firm press. Paging back is trickier -- I often have to hold the silver rim down for several tries. I don't go back much, and I'm glad the forward rim works well, but still, it seems like it could have been designed better.

I've discovered that the flashing bothers my eyes somewhat, so I occasionally turn it off, until I can't stand the ghosting. I'm guessing this same problem would occur with most eink readers.

Other than that, I love the Cybook, the case, the weight, the screen, the font sizing, the availability of books, the elegance of the device. It's fantastic.

Lelah

PS About pricing: long long ago, when I was a girl, I remember my older sister being presented, at Christmas, with a hand-held calculator. It was the first any of us had seen -- there is a photo of us all clustered around looking at it. It was probably the early 60's. My brother-in-law paid some 300-400 dollars for it! Hahahahahaha.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie View Post

PS About pricing: long long ago, when I was a girl, I remember my older sister being presented, at Christmas, with a hand-held calculator. It was the first any of us had seen -- there is a photo of us all clustered around looking at it. It was probably the early 60's. My brother-in-law paid some 300-400 dollars for it! Hahahahahaha.
They did not exist in the early 60's. The first handheld calculator was developed by Texas Instruments in 1967 and that one output to paper. If it looked like the attachment then it was no earlier than 1972 and probably later.

Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TI2500.GIF
Views:	400
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	11276  
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote