Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Stop Kindle for PC trying to open Mobi books

Sorry if this question has been solved on another thread.

Each time I try to open a Mobipocket book on my laptop it tries to open it in Kindle for PC and then tells me that I cannot open it and to remove and redownload it. These are books (DRM) which are not bought from Amazon and I dont want to read them in Kindle but in Mobi format?

Maybe there is a simple solution but where??

Any help appreciated
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
drl
drl began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800
I think you should open the application you want to us (I assume Mobipocket Reader) and open the book from within the application. Otherwise, you will have to go into Windows file associations and re-assign .prc to Mobipocket Reader. Then you could click on the file in explorer and it would open in Mobipocket.
drl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Try this:

1. Right-click on any Mobi book, and choose Open With, then Choose Program.

2. In the resulting dialogue, choose the application that you want to use to read the book (such as Mobi Reader).

3. Tick the box labelled "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

4. Click OK.

From now own, simply double-clicking on a Mobi file will open it in your preferred application.

If, in step 2, you can't see the application in the list of programs, click the Browse button, and navigate to the program in question.

Note that the above applies to Windows XP. The steps might be slightly different in other versions, but the overall approach should be the same.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Thanks for that, Its something that I knew how to do years ago, and had totally forgotten, another senior moment.
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote