Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
New Kindle Firmware?

I just heard from a user that his new Kindle has the version 1.0.8 Kindle firmware. Amazon has yet to announce it. Does anyone else have it?

P.S. If you don't know how to check: the version info is at the bottom the settings menu screen.

P.P.S Karma will go to the first person who posts a screen shot.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Houdini7
Houdini7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Houdini7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Houdini7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Houdini7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
My new Kindle (4/22/08) does indeed have 1.0.8

Since mine is part of those that are 'Available now' I'm assuming that some changes in manufacturing happened along with the greater inventory supply...?
Houdini7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Houdini7
Houdini7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Houdini7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Houdini7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Houdini7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Here's your screen-shot:

Last edited by Houdini7; 04-26-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
The new one (the spouse's) is 1.0.8 as well, my old one is 1.0.4 and I don't see any operational differences in them.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Houdini7

I also grabbed a cap of the 411 screen.
It appears a little funny, but that's the way it was captured by the Kindle (it looks fine on the kindle itself)

Notice the New compile date:
Advert
Old 04-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Thanks for checking.

Next question: Could someone post the user manual that came on your new 1.0.8 kindle? I want to compare the new manual to the old manual and see if there are any new features.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Shenzhov
Enthusiast
Shenzhov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Got my Kindle this week also and just checked. I have version 1.08.
Shenzhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
OlgaJ
OlgaJ began at the beginning.

All Kindles that were shipped in April have version 1.08. Mine was shipped 4/12/08 and is 1.08.
OlgaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
Houdini7

1.0.8 Manual (.azw format)

manual attached...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kindle User's Guide.zip (404.8 KB, 676 views)
Old 04-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
System 1.0.8

My Kindle just came yesterday, and it has 1.0.8 FWIW.

Nate the Great was asking for the User's Manual; I have attached the appropriate Kindle file to this post (I hope). There seem to be two files associated with it--the .azw file and a .mbp file.

Oh, drat--mobileread thinks neither of these is an allowed file type. Tell you what; I've copied the .azw file and renamed it to to "Kindle User's Guide 8.prc", so there will be no confusion. I'll upload this file and you can let me know if you need the .mbp file also and if so what I should name it.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Kindle User's Guide 8.prc (486.6 KB, 593 views)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
... There seem to be two files associated with it--the .azw file and a .mbp file.

Oh, drat--mobileread thinks neither of these is an allowed file type. Tell you what; I've copied the .azw file and renamed it to to "Kindle User's Guide 8.prc", so there will be no confusion. I'll upload this file and you can let me know if you need the .mbp file also and if so what I should name it.
I renamed the User's Guide .azw file to .prc so I could read it on my PC with Mobipocket Reader. Worked just fine. I *think* that the .mbp file is a side file with your current position & maybe some other control/usage information.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #12
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

1.0.8? Quick, see if you can create folders
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
Houdini7

Not really

While you can create a directory on the Kindle from the PC and put docs in it, there's no change to the Kindle's interface to let you know anything about the directory structure.

I tried folders on the Kindle and the SD card, no affect.

Bummer, I really wanted those too...
I guess Amazon thought it would confuse the average Kindle user....
Old 04-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #14
Toadmanor
Toadmanor began at the beginning.

How does one take a screen shot?

Toad
Toadmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
Houdini7

Alt-Shift-G

See here for Many more treasures!

http://igorsk.blogspot.com/