Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
JDavid
JDavid began at the beginning.

Device: iPAD 1
Question Copy and Paste

This is a first post. I'm old to computers, but new to Sigil so forgive a dumb question.

After downloading Sigil and reading the manual, I decided to try to simply use the mouse right click to copy a multi-page document I had written in Word - then use the same right click method to paste the document into Sigil. Then in Code view, I ran the two clean-up buttons and nothing changed. Then, after entering the title, author, and language in the Meta Editor, it 'validated'. Saving my validated EPUB file to my desktop, I Emailed it to my iPAD as an attachment. I was very surprised to find that it formatted and read perfectly in all four of my EPUB readers - with the exception that I did not have a blank line between paragraphs - something easily fixed.

From what I read, this is not the way to do it. I'll accept that, but since it is so simple, and seems to work fine, I'd like to know why not.

Thanks!
JDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavid View Post
This is a first post. I'm old to computers, but new to Sigil so forgive a dumb question.

After downloading Sigil and reading the manual, I decided to try to simply use the mouse right click to copy a multi-page document I had written in Word - then use the same right click method to paste the document into Sigil. Then in Code view, I ran the two clean-up buttons and nothing changed. Then, after entering the title, author, and language in the Meta Editor, it 'validated'. Saving my validated EPUB file to my desktop, I Emailed it to my iPAD as an attachment. I was very surprised to find that it formatted and read perfectly in all four of my EPUB readers - with the exception that I did not have a blank line between paragraphs - something easily fixed.

From what I read, this is not the way to do it. I'll accept that, but since it is so simple, and seems to work fine, I'd like to know why not.

Thanks!
Text, C&P does not always pick up all formatting subtleties
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
JDavid

Thanks for the response. I realized that when a blank line didn't appear between paragraphs. Perhaps my several tries worked as well as they did because my text was so simple. What I'm attempting to do is prepare an E-book of stories of my early life (at the request of my children). For the most part it will be simple text with inserted illustrative photos. Due to my inexperience with HTML and Sigil - and the fact that no errors were detected, it just seemed as though C&P, inserting the photos, and modifying formatting where necessary, would be a simple way to to about it.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavid View Post
Thanks for the response. I realized that when a blank line didn't appear between paragraphs. Perhaps my several tries worked as well as they did because my text was so simple. What I'm attempting to do is prepare an E-book of stories of my early life (at the request of my children). For the most part it will be simple text with inserted illustrative photos. Due to my inexperience with HTML and Sigil - and the fact that no errors were detected, it just seemed as though C&P, inserting the photos, and modifying formatting where necessary, would be a simple way to to about it.
For Word type (DOC), The WRITER2epub plugin for open Office/Libre Office does the job pretty good.

FWIW Paragraph Margins (top and botton is a great way to space paragraphs, not a blank line
Scene breaks are a special case, and I would creat a special style, just to control them.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
JDavid

Thanks again. I'll take a look at the plugin, although the last time I tried Open Office it was incredibly slow loading in XP. Yeah! I know XP's old - but so am I. I have much to learn, but back in the 80s and 90s I did a little simple programming, so I think I can catch on.
Advert

Tags
copy, paragraph, paste, sigil, word