Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Is there a program that REALLY crops PDFs?

So, I wanted to get rid of headers and footers in a PDF document. I used Briss, but then when I convert the PDF to mobi or html, it turns out that the text is still there!
By the way, I use Ubuntu. Any ideas?
Thanks
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
If I understand what you want right, the important thing is not so much that the pages are cropped, but that certain parts of the pages are not converted -- and so it would be equally good just to remove parts of the page and leave them blank?

PDFedit can remove parts of a PDF so that they are completely gone, and hence don't get converted in with calibre. (I think that's an Ubuntu package so you can just sudo apt-get install pdfedit.) I don't know how easily it handles batch removal of headers and footers, though, I've never tried.

There might be some other options; I'll report back if I think of anything else.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Right, I want to remove the headers, regardless of whether the page is cropped.
I have PDFedit. I don't think you can remove headers from several different pages with it. I'll try to see if that's possible, though.
By the way, I used pdfReflow and the result was good. Not perfect, but good (better than using only calibre).
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're converting the PDF to a text-based format such as ePub or Mobi, would it not be easier to remove them after conversion?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
Francesco
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're converting the PDF to a text-based format such as ePub or Mobi, would it not be easier to remove them after conversion?
You mean manually? It would be easy, but time consuming. I trying to find a way to get me 80% there, meaning a decently formatted ebook, without having to spend more than 20% of the time it would take to get there. A kind-of-quick, but not-so-dirty method.

I maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying?
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I just converted a print file to ePub by exporting the PDF to HTML with CSS from Acrobat Pro. It left out the headers and footers. Although one or two did creep in it was better than manually removing the blighters. If you don't have Acrobat Pro someone here might do it for you. You end up with a reasonable HTML file that you can work with in whichever program you want. (I'll do it if you want) Unfortunately I only have access that export at work which will not be untill January 10 next year.

Anyone else out there with Acrobat Pro CS5 that can help out Fransceco?

PS: depending upon how they were originally created, tables etc. have unpredictable results and need to be recreated some times.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
hard13
Enthusiast
hard13 began at the beginning.

Device: none
well i know to crop page with adobe acrobat and delete page to. i will help. send me the file, maybe i can help you , message me
hard13 is offline   Reply With Quote