Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #136
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Krystl, yay! (I need to just write a blog post about this, maybe.)

I haven't noticed any missing pages. I haven't read through every single book I've had scanned (they scan faster than I find time to convert), but I've converted several dozen and had no missing pages or problems.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #137
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
If only someone in the UK would start offering this sort of service. Nobody knows of one yet do they?

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #138
Krystl
Connoisseur
Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-t1
Anamardoll, why yes, you should

...and perhaps I should get myself in gear and start playing so that I can get this figured out. I am not against my PBB, and at first the thought of cutting books took some getting used to, but I plan on mixing and merging but there are just those books from college that are simply taking up space and unusable for research, as i cannot access them--such books are perfect for this!

Ab, about your experience with bookscan--have you noticed missed pages or so? As Anamardoll's process works with pdfs (without OCR unless she finds out otherwise) both companies seem to fit.

Right now I am setting up a serious plan of conversion, etc.
Krystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #139
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
What format are the scans in? pdf? do their pdfs convert well to epub or mobi?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #140
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
They're image based PDF's so you'd need to run them through OCR software like ABBYY Fine or Readiris to get them to a text based format like HTML, RTF or Doc and then do your conversion from there.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #141
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They're image based PDF's so you'd need to run them through OCR software like ABBYY Fine or Readiris to get them to a text based format like HTML, RTF or Doc and then do your conversion from there.
This. And ABBYY is $170 a license. It's not something that Calibre or whatever can automatically convert for free, I'm afraid.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #142
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
all of a sudden, that $1/book doesn't sound so cheap after all.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #143
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
This. And ABBYY is $170 a license. It's not something that Calibre or whatever can automatically convert for free, I'm afraid.
Is the cheaper ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Express Edition not as accurate as the ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition? http://buy.abbyyusa.com/content/free...d-2181f10feed1
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #144
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
All the inexpensive scanners I've bought or used at work came with OCR software, most often Textbridge, plus an interface software, usually Paperport. I've found Textbridge to be quite accurate. A customer sent us a clean, clear PDF (that had not been made from a Word file but was an image), and Paperport pulled it up okay and Textbridge OCR'd it very nicely.

Just for your info

ps: thanks to whoever got my avatar to show up I love taking pics of birds around here!
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #145
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I can't claim to know the difference between the two versions. Usually there isn't a lot of difference in the OCR engine, they may even be identical at times. Instead the full version comes with networking or collaborative tools, handles formatting and graphics more exactly, perhaps with the capacity to schedule jobs, support for paper fed scanners etc.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #146
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
It's not.

But when publishers cannot or will not release specific books as eBooks, the rest of us have an alternative.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #147
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
No, it's not. IMO it's most worth it for books you have a pretty good idea won't be coming out as eBooks anytime soon.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #148
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystl View Post
Anamardoll, why yes, you should

...and perhaps I should get myself in gear and start playing so that I can get this figured out. I am not against my PBB, and at first the thought of cutting books took some getting used to, but I plan on mixing and merging but there are just those books from college that are simply taking up space and unusable for research, as i cannot access them--such books are perfect for this!

Ab, about your experience with bookscan--have you noticed missed pages or so? As Anamardoll's process works with pdfs (without OCR unless she finds out otherwise) both companies seem to fit.

Right now I am setting up a serious plan of conversion, etc.
Hi Krystl, I scrutinized the first set of 20 books from bookscan.us very carefully (i.e. moved to each page and checked page numbers) and found no errors in there. I even did random keyword searches and they came up as expected. My second (larger) set is in progress right now and I will scrutize it carefully as well (at least for page numbers - it may sound tedious but using Foxit + side-by-side view ensures that I can skim through the smaller books quickly).

I have not noticed any problems with 1DS either though sometimes their scans come in as slightly faded for some of my books (but not bad and the text within such blocks OCR's correctly as well from my random checks).
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:14 AM   #149
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
Thumbs up

Quote:
Both services (bookscan and 1dollarscan) offer OCR for additional cost. Bookscan will do OCR for $2/300-pages (vs. $1/300-pages) and so far, the quality looks good to me.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #150
Arbait
Connoisseur
Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage pocket eDGe,Pyrus mini, NOOK HD+, KAO, S6, S8, KP4, Note 10+
Back with my report about BOOKSCAN.US

Fast and accurate scan and unbeatable support. I mention cheap?
(Fast = Book Received 02-15, List Sent 02-16, Scanned 02-17, Processed 02-17, Uploaded 02-17, Dropbox Notify 02-17)
300 pages per dollar, then increments of 200 pages per dollar, auto scan old books in color (yellow pages), files are named with human names (like Tarzan Alive_Philip J Farmer_312.pdf) and they are small - 312 pages = 32 MG.
Also they use Google Docs + Dropbox, so is easy to integrate with one workflow.

examples:
work list received from BOOKSCAN.US ->
page scanned ->
page OCR (ABBYY 11) ->
in work ->

Conclusion: I am very pleased with the result of collaboration with BOOKSCAN.US.
If you live - like me - in the EU, the cheapest way to send books to U.S. is the M bag, ask at the post office...
Arbait is offline   Reply With Quote