Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Scott479
male homo sapien
Scott479 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Kobo Touch or Glo? Thoughts?

It would seem my Kobo Touch is broken and I will need to purchase a new one. I've been thinking about the Glo because there have been several times where I couldn't read because of low light. I read a lot of PDFs on my reader, and the Kobo seems to handle these fairly well. I see also that the Glo has a microSD card slot, which is very important to me. Is the Glo everything the Touch is plus a light? I see its about $30 more, which isn't too much.

Should I buy the Glo?
Scott479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Definitely the Glo!!

It took me a while before giving in and buying a Glo, because I had a perfectly working Touch... But now, I love my Glo to pieces and my Touch is just lying around in a drawer. The Glo is absolutely worth the extra $30. It's faster, better resolution, and the light is just brilliant.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
The Glo for sure. The light makes reading a lot easier on the eyes.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I agree, my Glo is excellent
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
I agree go Glo! It is my favorite eReader right now. I was never as fond of my touch for some reason, it was always the last choice and gathered dust. But the Glo is another story. My Kindles and Nooks take a back seat to my new Kobo.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Glo

I agree... once you go Glo you'll never go back. Like the other posters, I leave my Touch in the drawer. The lighted screen makes such a difference.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott479 View Post
I read a lot of PDFs on my reader, and the Kobo seems to handle these fairly well.
Interesting, we've had other people on here saying that they don't like the way the Kobo's handle PDFs and threatening to return them because they were so unhappy with PDF reading!

I recommend the Glo too.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
I ♥'d my Touch but the Glo is superior to it. Faster, slightly smaller, crisper words on screen and the light is just fabby.

Wouldn't hesitate
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Get the Glo - the tech specs are superior to the Touch.

Display
Kobo - 6" XGA Pearl E Ink touchscreen; 1024x758 resolution; 16-level grey scale
Touch - 6" E Ink XGA Pearl screen; 800 x 600 resolution; 16-level grey scale

Processor
Kobo - 1 GHz
Touch - Freescale 508 Processor
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
At the risk of being accused a traitor I nearly suggested you buy a Kindle Paperwhite because of their superior PDF handling, but there is a forum thread in the developer's corner where someone has ported the Kindle PDF viewer over for Kobo readers, so go for the Glo. You'll love the lighting feature, it is hard to convey how much better it is than fiddling around with a booklight, batteries, lighting angles, blah, blah, blah, ad infinitum.

I don't read anything PDF on my Glo or Touch, mostly because I have an android tablet with a 10" screen, and a 12" Lenovo X41 tablet convertible PC that's simply quicker and better suited for reading and scaling PDFs, but haven't been impressed with trying to read PDFs on any e-ink reader as most PDFs I've run into are sized for larger displays, or if paperback book sized I've run them through Calibre and converted to Epubs.

Buy the Glo, it's a lighted Touch with a better display, what more could you want? Don't forget to buy a hard case/cover to protect that nice new display.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
BWinmill
Nameless Being

TechniSol's correct: tablets are much better for PDFs.

On the Glo vs. the Touch: you'll save 23% by buying the Touch. It's possible to save more if you're willing to buy a second-hand unit. That's a significant price difference if you are only a little bit interested in the improvements.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
Scott479
male homo sapien

Ghost image with PDFs

I picked up a Kobo Glo yesterday. After loading it with my books and PDFs I checked out a PDF. I have an issue: ghost images. Typically I view PDFs in landscape view to get the type larger and then scroll down as I read to view the entire page. However, unlike the Kobo Touch, when I drag the page with my finger, a serious ghost image remains, making reading the rest of the page near impossible. I was able to "fix" this problem by setting the e-reader to refresh the screen every single page, but I never had to do this with the older Touch. Is there something wrong with this e-reader, or is this just how this model works? Anybody know?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Buy the Glo! Much better !
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #14
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott479 View Post
I picked up a Kobo Glo yesterday. After loading it with my books and PDFs I checked out a PDF. I have an issue: ghost images. Typically I view PDFs in landscape view to get the type larger and then scroll down as I read to view the entire page. However, unlike the Kobo Touch, when I drag the page with my finger, a serious ghost image remains, making reading the rest of the page near impossible. I was able to "fix" this problem by setting the e-reader to refresh the screen every single page, but I never had to do this with the older Touch. Is there something wrong with this e-reader, or is this just how this model works? Anybody know?
Which firmware is it running? The new firmware 2.6.1 has reportedly fixed the ghosting PDF bug. See Geoff's first post here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215268

If you are running the 2.5.2 firmware you can either wait as the 2.6.1 is rolling out to everyone or you can manually sideload it by following the instructions here. Note that Kobo do not support manual sideloading.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

Last edited by Willa; 06-11-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
Scott479
male homo sapien

It's 2.5.2. I'll have to update this!