Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #1186
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
OK, I installed the patch successfully. I'm on a Paperwhite 5.3.3. One of the features I'm most interested in is using multiple dictionaries. I have 3 items in the Dictionaries collection that was created automatically in my KPW. When I tap and hold on a word, however, I onl get the definition from one of the dictionaries, the stock New Oxford American Dictionary. I also have the WorldNet 3 dictionary and thesaurus - How do I get my PW to show definitions from that?

ETA: I also tried to make the default margin smaller - changed 50 to 60 - but nothing seems to have happened. My screen looks just the same as always.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 02-02-2013 at 03:59 PM.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #1187
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Becca - Did you do a framework restart after changing your settings?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #1188
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
OK, I installed the patch successfully. I'm on a Paperwhite 5.3.3. One of the features I'm most interested in is using multiple dictionaries. I have 3 items in the Dictionaries collection that was created automatically in my KPW. When I tap and hold on a word, however, I onl get the definition from one of the dictionaries, the stock New Oxford American Dictionary. I also have the WorldNet 3 dictionary and thesaurus - How do I get my PW to show definitions from that?

ETA: I also tried to make the default margin smaller - changed 50 to 60 - but nothing seems to have happened. My screen looks just the same as always.
Did you restart the framework after making changes? You usually have to even for the smallest change. It is a option in JBPatch, third tab, bottom - restart framework. Also to make the margins smaller, you have to decrease the number as the number says how many pixel of white is there before the text starts.

Edit: forgot to add, if you change margins, you might have to open the aA menu once after a restart and select a different setting, and back to where you want to be. Sometimes when you change the margins from 50-100-150 to say 25-50-75, then as the margins were at 50 before for the smallest setting, the PW sees that, and sees the middle option as closest and your setting might end up at 50 for the new middle.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-02-2013 at 04:28 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #1189
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure what's meant by a "framework" restart. I did do the Menu > Settings > Menu > Resttart, if that's what you mean.

I'm mostly interested in getting my multiple dictionaries to work - there didn't appear to be any configuration for that needed, and that option is checked.

(please pardon my ignorance. I'm not terribly technical.)

Thanks for any help I can get.

ETA: thanks for the pointer to the third tab - I'm just trying that now. Nope, no change, and no additional dictionaries.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 02-02-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #1190
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DuckieTigger - Beat ya!! (though your answer was a little bit more comprehensive )
Old 02-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #1191
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I'm not sure what's meant by a "framework" restart. I did do the Menu > Settings > Menu > Resttart, if that's what you mean.

I'm mostly interested in getting my multiple dictionaries to work - there didn't appear to be any configuration for that needed, and that option is checked.

(please pardon my ignorance. I'm not terribly technical.)

Thanks for any help I can get.
A full restart would do fine as well. I meant inside the Kindlet (the JBPatch active content). Framework restart is faster than a complete system restart.

For the dictionaries, it will only show multiple dictionaries if the word is found in different dictionaries.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #1192
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

@Becca- framework restart is a less in depth restart and takes less time than doing a full restart...you will find it in the JBPatch gui (as Duckie said, under the system tab, lower right)
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #1193
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

@Duckie - you type faster than I do....I'm going to stop now!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #1194
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I changed non-PDF margins to 25, hit save, and then did the framework reset. Still nothing appears to have happened.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #1195
DuckieTigger
Wizard

@BeccaPrice: oh one more thing - if you don't see << and >> in the bottom of the dictionary lookup (left and right of "show full definition"), then it did not install right. They should be there even if only one dictionary is available, but grayed out.

Another thing, did you install the right version of JBPatch? For 5.3.3 you need jbpatch_3.2.0_fw531.zip from first post.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #1196
_Abahd_
_Abahd_ can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip._Abahd_ can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip._Abahd_ can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip._Abahd_ can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip._Abahd_ can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip._Abahd_ can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip._Abahd_ can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip._Abahd_ can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip._Abahd_ can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip._Abahd_ can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip._Abahd_ can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Touch
@ beccaprice:

the margins will change if you reselect one time between the three different set margins. before nothing will happen.

grz
_Abahd_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #1197
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I did install _FW531.bin.

When I look at the dictionary page, I only see > and <, not << and >>.

If it didn't install right, how do I get it to install right? I do see the JBPatch entry in my home page. When I look at Device Infor, I see JBPatch 3.2.0.

Also, for what it's worth, on the pages where there's a scroll bar, I can't get the scroll bar to work very well.

The settings I have under Modify Reader Margins are:

Default Words Per Line Margin (non-pdf) = active:25

Do I need to uninstall it and reinstall?

Note: I did another Framework Reset and now I see the << and >> and can scroll through dictionaries. I apparently needed to do that a couple of times for it to take. themargins are still wider than I like, however.

ETA: I played with the margins in another book, and now they're tighter than the standard default. It's much better now.

Question: I understand that this version doesn't give the progress bar, is that right? I do see now Location XXX of YYY, which at least is something

I guess it now works and I appreciate everyone's help and patience!

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 02-02-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: eta: new information
Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #1198
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
OK, I've tried to change JBPatch configuration options on my PW (5.3.3) for the first time ever and think I've hit a bug. I changed the default margin width down to 20 to see what it looked like, hit save, framework restart, hm, too narrow. So I tried boosting it to 30 and resetting the other two to 50 and 70 (making all three margins actually useful for the first time ever). Save, framework restart, why has nothing changed? It's still set to 20/100/150! OK, try hitting reset, save, framework restart. Still no change! What about reset, save, sync, framework restart? Nope, that won't change it either!

On further investigation, it looks like the first change made via the JBPatch GUI writes out (/mnt/us)/opt/jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.margins.txt, but subsequent changes refuse to overwrite it (normally I'd guess due to permissions, but everything on the Kindle runs as root, so that can't be it). If you change it by hand over USB mass storage or usbnet and do a framework restart, things work.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #1199
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
OK, I've tried to change JBPatch configuration options on my PW (5.3.3) for the first time ever and think I've hit a bug. I changed the default margin width down to 20 to see what it looked like, hit save, framework restart, hm, too narrow. So I tried boosting it to 30 and resetting the other two to 50 and 70 (making all three margins actually useful for the first time ever). Save, framework restart, why has nothing changed? It's still set to 20/100/150! OK, try hitting reset, save, framework restart. Still no change! What about reset, save, sync, framework restart? Nope, that won't change it either!

On further investigation, it looks like the first change made via the JBPatch GUI writes out (/mnt/us)/opt/jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.margins.txt, but subsequent changes refuse to overwrite it (normally I'd guess due to permissions, but everything on the Kindle runs as root, so that can't be it). If you change it by hand over USB mass storage or usbnet and do a framework restart, things work.
Q? Is (was) the USB cable connected during the above tests?
If so, repeat them without the USB cable connected.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #1200
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
EDIT: Scratch my previous reply, it was factually wrong.

@NullNix: The files on /mnt/us/opt/jbpatch/ always take precedence over the ones in /var/local/jbpatch. So because you performed a manual sync, you're now essentially stuck with the version that's on /mnt/us. Currently working on a fix which actually considers filetimes correctly.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-02-2013 at 09:00 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks