Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #28426
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Nescafe decaf (black) in my cup.

dreams, this is for you: <snip>
great idea. I've never thought about using something like that. I think I will get some and have it ready for big yard work days.

Fresh sumatra coffee in my cup and tacos on my plate.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #28427
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
big mug of Peet's Anniversary Breakfast Blend tea. Aaaahhhhhh!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #28428
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Finally sitting down to my first tea.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #28429
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Of all the money that e'er I had
I've spent it in good company
And all the harm that e'er I've done
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eisW0...dm_e7Q&index=3 )

... and so she's gone.

Good morning, everyone. I'm a bachelor once again. My wife has departed for the Land of the Rising Sun to visit family for a few weeks. It's just Felicity and me for the next three weeks. I decided not to go this time. I want to stay here and train for the tournament next month. I'll miss my wife and I'll miss out on good sushi, but this tournament is important to me. It's my first in over 30 years... It's good to be young again! Is tea the reason? Maybe... So this morning I'll drink a mug of Viang Joom On's "English Breakfast" tea, then head out for a long fast walk before going to the fencing salle. It's good to have goals!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #28430
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fresh cup of coffee in my cup; I'm trying Folgers decaf and it's not too bad.
Advert
Old 05-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #28431
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Seriously!? Ugh! I'd rather go without
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #28432
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Seriously!? Ugh! I'd rather go without
Wouldn't be my first choice. Or second, or third, or...

Peet's Major Dickason's coffee. And now starting on a Peet's Anniversary Breakfast Blend mug of tea.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #28433
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Hey, it's a nice change of pace and really not as bad as people make it out to be.

Peet's anniversary blend coffee this morning, as I get ready for my dental appointment. *Popcorn is now totally off my list of late night snacks; I broke a tooth.*
Old 05-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #28434
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Bummer about the tooth! Even bigger bummer about popcorn. But really, if you don't try to eat the unpopped or barely popped kernels, what's the issue? Of course, I admit, we're spoiled. We gave up on microwave popcorn completely, and now use an old fashioned Whirley-Pop Popcorn Popper, and buy Bob's Red Mill popcorn. What a difference! It's now our standard afternoon snack.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #28435
dreams
It's about the umbrella

I know. I am usually pretty good about watching for the kernels, but I was reading and eating and didn't pay attention. I had thought about going back to using the stove again, but hated shaking the pot back and forth. That Whirley-Pop Popcorn Popper looks interesting, as you only have to turn the handle to keep the popcorn moving. Does it produce less unpopped kernels?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #28436
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First mug of tea for the day.

Popcorn is big at our house -- especially when our son's home. I buy it by the 4 pound bag. We have a "hot air" popper and, as long as it's not overloaded it's pretty good about not sending unpopped kernels into the bowl. Good luck with your tooth, dreams!
Old 05-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #28437
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I know. I am usually pretty good about watching for the kernels, but I was reading and eating and didn't pay attention. I had thought about going back to using the stove again, but hated shaking the pot back and forth. That Whirley-Pop Popcorn Popper looks interesting, as you only have to turn the handle to keep the popcorn moving. Does it produce less unpopped kernels?
Yes, much better about unpopped kernels. And FAST. Total time from turning on the burner (a typical glass topped electric ) to fully popped corn is about 2 minutes. Plus no burned kernels (always an issue with microwave.) Honestly, we love this thing. A tablespoon or two of oil (we use ghee or clarified butter), a 1/4 c. of Bob's Red Mill, and a minute or so of slowly turning the handle, and we have a nice snack.

I've seen other brands of this, but none that looked better. This is made of mostly aluminium, with wood gears and handle, and stainless for the actual whirley part. NOT dishwasher safe, but I only wash it out every week or so.

Lion Mountain Keemun.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #28438
cromag

Tea #3.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #28439
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Sittin' in the morning sun
I'll be sittin' when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
Then I watch them roll away again, yeah

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watchin' the tide roll away, ooh
I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyxLaHmOaYM )

Good morning, everyone! Easy, peaceful mornings... Gotta love 'em! Unbranded Keemun tea in my cup, getting ready to visit the Food and Fruit Ladies... Just a few chores to do today, then it's just relax and enjoy. I can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
We gave up on microwave popcorn completely, and now use an old fashioned Whirley-Pop Popcorn Popper, and buy Bob's Red Mill popcorn. What a difference! It's now our standard afternoon snack.
I make popcorn just about every night, and also use the Whirley-Pop popper 'clone.' I had an original one for years that finally gave up the ghost, but when I replaced it with a genuine Whirley-Pop, the one I received was an inferior product to the original, metal much thinner, gear tolerances sloppy, etc., etc. I ordered another brand, this time solid stainless steel (which works on my induction stove) and am a happy camper once again. For a popcorn glutton on a diet, it's the only way to go. A half cup of corn and a tablespoon of oil lasts me two evenings of snacking. As Charlie says, it's two minutes of crank-turning to turn out a big pot of popcorn!

In Japan I would buy only Orville Reddenbacher's popcorn in 8lb containers, which always popped up large, light, and tender. Unfortunately here in Thailand, I can't get that, and have to buy the locally packaged stuff, which has an inconsistent moisture content and a very tough outer hull. I found that if I buy two 1-kilo bags at a time, and add 1-2 tablespoons of water and seal them up for a couple of weeks before use, they pop much more consistently and with larger kernels resulting.

Time for one more cup of tea, then down to the feeding trough!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #28440
CRussel
(he/him/his)

You're right, the current version of official Whirley-Pop is very light aluminum. OTOH, it really doesn't matter and does mean it heats up and pops quickly. Of course, if you have an induction stove top, then you need something that works with induction, which most stainless will these days, since induction became so popular. IAC, this method is far superior to microwave or air-pop IMHO.

As for popcorn type/brand - I'm guessing Bob's Red Mill isn't available in Thailand. Too bad. It's way better than any other I've found, including Orville's. I buy it in a 4pack of 27oz bags from Amazon.

Dinner tonight: Oaxacan Mole Chicken Enchiladas which we make from the roast chicken we had Sunday. Last time I counted up how many meals we get out of a chicken, it came to >20 meals.

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?