Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do like the look of the buttons on the T3. Maybe they were changed because on the T1, with enough use, the silver paint does wear off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #32
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I actually like the idea that nobody wants the PRS-T3. So I can have them all for myself.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #33
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it has a light, and preferably a high res screen, I will be buying one. Hell I will be pre-ordering one. I would be more than happy to leave my Kobo Glo behind if only Sony can match the features of it.

Not beat. Just match a last gen reader. Is that too much to ask?
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing Sony has out done Kobo on is the stability of the firmware.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #35
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Stability is definitely not in the top ten list of descriptors I'd use in regards to the kobo. Others are likely to include "fast," "easy to use" and "recommend highly."
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
Stability is definitely not in the top ten list of descriptors I'd use in regards to the kobo. Others are likely to include "fast," "easy to use" and "recommend highly."
Buggy is maybe the top word I'd use to describe Kobo's firmware. You never know what's going to break in the next firmware release. And sometimes they break things and don't bother to fix them.

I was considering getting an Aura HD but then in one of the firmware releases, they screwed up big time and blew that sale. Then when I was back to considering again, the T3 is mentioned, so it's just time to sit back and wait and see what we get.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:45 AM   #37
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
If the PRS-T3 would have almost the same specs as the T2, then there would be enough time to get into this Aura stuff. We'll see.

Sony Reader are nothing you can use for internet forum talk a lot. You buy it, you put your Micro SD card into it, that's it. It works. Maybe we can subscribe the Sony Reader some day so that I would get the new version each year automatically.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #38
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
If the PRS-T3 would have almost the same specs as the T2, then there would be enough time to get into this Aura stuff. We'll see.

Sony Reader are nothing you can use for internet forum talk a lot. You buy it, you put your Micro SD card into it, that's it. It works. Maybe we can subscribe the Sony Reader some day so that I would get the new version each year automatically.
Maybe you should suggest some kind of annual lease program to Sony, lol.

As much as I want a front-lit version, the more I think of it, the more it seems that the biggest factor that would keep me from going to another company's reader is the easy access to public library lending. It doesn't seem like the other companies are in a big hurry to equal Sony in this area.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #39
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
If the T3 is front-lit, what would be the advantage to Sony to keep that information from leaking? It seems like it would only work in their favor in situations where someone really wants a front-lit reader and is considering jumping ship to get one. Especially after their own spokesperson has (allegedly) emphatically rejected the idea of Sony using that technology.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #40
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

I have been the -not so proud- owner of a Kobo Glo for three months. I am longing for the first opportunity to jump from ship because I am really fed up with Kobo software inconsistencies and regressions.

Not at any price though. I need two things,
- frontlight.
- true support of EPUB 2 standard.

Side-loading of fonts would also be an appreciated plus.

Let's hope.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #41
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Just bring back the PRS-650 with a hi-res screen and a front light and they'd have the perfect ereader.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #42
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
So, the anticipation game kicks off for the next 2 months. This is always a time full of angst for perspective buyers/upgraders. I believe the worse thing that Sony could do now is release the specs of their purposed new reader. That would give too much time for people to pick it apart and make it seem like it was a step backwards. Best thing to do is promise low and deliver high.

If it is frontlit, I'll be getting one.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #43
Kaitou Ace
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Just bring back the PRS-650 with a hi-res screen and a front light and they'd have the perfect ereader.

This too would be my perfect e-reader. Same OS as it had, same hardware, just update screeen and add a light and NOTHING ELSE.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #44
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Whatever they come out with no matter how well-made, given that it's Sony, will be too little, too late to take away any market share.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #45
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
So, the anticipation game kicks off for the next 2 months.
It won't be that bad.
With the official announcement about 6 weeks away, the first wave of details should start leaking in a couple of weeks. The frontlight question (yay or nay) should settled before the end of july.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote