Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #241
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I would pay a premium to get a 950-esque replacement (as my primary 950 battery is dying a slow death).
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #242
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Yeah, Sonys are nicer than Kindles and Kobos. Still use a T2. I think the software on the T1 was a bit iffy. It was known to go wobbly for no known reason.

A Kobo Aura HD is not a bad replacement for a 950. H2O too, I expect.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #243
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Yeah, Sonys are nicer than Kindles and Kobos. Still use a T2. I think the software on the T1 was a bit iffy. It was known to go wobbly for no known reason.

A Kobo Aura HD is not a bad replacement for a 950. H2O too, I expect.
I wonder if you are referring to old firmwares. We've got three T1's we've been using heavily for the past few months and not experienced anything you'd call iffy.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #244
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i also have a t2 and would love to use it full time. but it doesn't have a built-in light. that's why i also purchased a kobo aura hd.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #245
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Also own a T1 and T2 and use both full time w/Mighty Light! Takes one AAA battery and lasts a week or two before requiring replacement w/another battery. Amazon carries them: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_949z1qv2dx_e
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #246
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
Also own a T1 and T2 and use both full time w/Mighty Light! Takes one AAA battery and lasts a week or two before requiring replacement w/another battery. Amazon carries them: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_949z1qv2dx_e
thanks. i do have a separate light for use with the t2. however, it would be so much more convenient if it was built-in (just living in fantasy land here).
Old 07-28-2015, 06:29 AM   #247
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I own a PRS-650. As of today, it seems very difficult to find a replacement device for it.
I really like how this ereader is built, how premium is the material used and how open it is to load sideloaded ebooks.
I'm curious to know which device replaced this ereader for some of you.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #248
rem736
purpose priority passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
I own a PRS-650. As of today, it seems very difficult to find a replacement device for it.
I really like how this ereader is built, how premium is the material used and how open it is to load sideloaded ebooks.
I'm curious to know which device replaced this ereader for some of you.
honestly, most devices are open to sideloading books. i haven't encountered one yet where i'm not free to sideload. yes. sony did go with plastic after the x50 series of readers (and now out of the market completely). i have the ancient 500 and the T2. at one point i had the 505 and the 950. i gave away the 505 to get the 950 and i've sold the 950 because it wasn't large enough for technical pdfs. the 500 i keep because i want to keep my very first ereader (oh, the nostalgia). the T2 i got because it was a very cheap $30 promotion. i also have the kobo aura hd because it was larger and has a front light. and a kindle voyage for kindle format books from amazon. i replace the 950 with the dpt-s1 for technical pdfs. all of these devices allow sideloading. if you have to stick to only one device, i would choose the kindle voyage. it's not difficult to convert epubs to kindle format using calibre and it can handle pdfs with its zoom feature (though i would not use it for pdfs unless i had no other choice).
Old 07-29-2015, 05:29 AM   #249
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Thanks for your answer.
That's right that the Kindle Voyage is the only device that seems to match the PRS 650's quality design.
I usually don't take a look on Kindle devices, as they aren't as well implanted here (in France) as they are in US.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #250
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Thanks for your answer.
That's right that the Kindle Voyage is the only device that seems to match the PRS 650's quality design.
I usually don't take a look on Kindle devices, as they aren't as well implanted here (in France) as they are in US.
I seriously considered the voyage kindle, because of build quality, but the lockin with amazon is annoying. The use of calibre is way easier.

But if you like amazon.. it can work side load your mobi files, or email your amazon account. very flexible.

For me the Kobo Aura at 100.00 is ok. 200.00 well amazon kindle voyage.

300dpi of course is better but I am ok at 212dpi for now.
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #251
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
The Kobo Aura - build quality is really nice. I think a bit nicer than the Kindle Paperwhite. Both are good.
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #252
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
I compared my Sony PRS-350 to a Paperwhite 2 (with its light tuned to zero) today at the beach on a sunny day. What a difference, the Paperwhite's background is so much lighter, not grayish like the Sony's. OK, the Paperwhite's light doesn't really turn off completely, but still...

Despite the screen preference, I happily read on the Sony, because I preferred the book that was on there.

Once the screen comparison was put aside, the little Sony just feels more robust and more appropriate for outdoor use, like tossing onto a beach chair or towel.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #253
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Well, since you ask...

I have (or had) a 505, 300, 350(s), 650, T1(s), 2 and 3. What I want is a T3 with the 650 software.
What I don't want is WIFI or front lighting. As near as I can tell, the only purpose of WIFI is to turn the reader into a POS (point of sale but the other interpretation is also correct) device and I have yet to see a good implementation of front lighting. When I looked at the Kobo the lighting was uneven and to make it even worse the leds were the cheap white units with a strong blue cast. If I really want to read in the dark, I'll use a tablet.

My T1's are very flakey and prone to crashing. The T2 is functional but the software sucks dead bunnies through a straw. But Sony's software has always been poor on all their devices. The software on the T3 is just barely acceptable, especially compared to PRS+ on the 650. But the screen and hardware of the T3 is much, much better. The size and weight of the T3 is also better than the 650. The only reason I use my T3 instead of the 650 is the smaller size of the T3 and the better screen.

The T3 covers have been problematic. I bought my wife a red T3 at the Sony Store. The cover keeps coming off. When I looked at a red T3 at Factory Direct, the cover on that unit fell off as well. I bought a black T3S from Factory Direct and was able to get a cover with light from Best Buy. That cover has stayed put. I also bought a white T3 at Factory Direct. The rubber/plastic material is disintegrating around the edges. I haven't been able to find any local source of covers for the T3. Factory Direct has never had them and when I was there a week ago, they said that it was unlikely that they will get any more T3s.

I expect that I will move to a tablet when my readers are no longer useful. The only problem I have with reading on a tablet is remembering to charge them daily instead of monthly.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #254
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Sorry Grumbles, but have to disagree with you on the T1 and T2. Have had my T1 coming up on 3 years in December, have had the T2 little over 15 months and no problems from either one. They work, charge, and boot flawlessly. So from my prospective, don't have any complaints about either one.
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #255
IorekB
IorekB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T3S
@grumbles: Hey, if you're still looking for a decent cover for the T3S, you may want to have a look a these:
http://www.geckocovers.com/sony-prs-t3s-cover.html
I got my T3S shortly after it was released, and one of the above covers to go with it. I like the build quality and another nice touch is that they did integrate the necessary parts (magnets?) for the sleep cover functionality to work.

I still hope my T3S will last a long time...
IorekB is offline   Reply With Quote