Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Heathside Boy
HB
Heathside Boy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC / Calibre
New Computer

Happy New Year to everybody!

I now have a new computer and just wondered about the procedure to download my books from my old computer. Is it just a matter of downloading Calibre to my new computer and all the books that are shown in my old computer will automatically show up in the new?

If not, what is the correct procedure to make this so?

Thank you

HB
Heathside Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathside Boy View Post

I now have a new computer and just wondered about the procedure to download my books from my old computer. Is it just a matter of downloading Calibre to my new computer and all the books that are shown in my old computer will automatically show up in the new?

Thank you

HB
Please see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathside Boy View Post

Thank you

HB
Install Calibre, (remember the location of the Library folder) then shut down.

Copy the ENTIRE contents of your old Library folder Into the New folder. Start Calibre. Note: you may have to use 'Create/Switch' to point at the new location

If you want your other settings, do the same with the configuration folder ( use the button in Preferences: Miscellaneous to locate both) Note: you may have to use 'Create/Switch' to point at the new Library location on starting
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Copy the ENTIRE contents of your old Library folder Into the New folder. Start Calibre. Note: you may have to use 'Create/Switch' to point at the new location

If you want your other settings, do the same with the configuration folder ( use the button in Preferences: Miscellaneous to locate both) Note: you may have to use 'Create/Switch' to point at the new Library location on starting
I would reverse the first 2 steps.

When i set up my new computer, I first copied over my content. Then I installed calibre, and during setup I pointed it at the relevant folder. It found everything it needed.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I would reverse the first 2 steps.

When i set up my new computer, I first copied over my content. Then I installed calibre, and during setup I pointed it at the relevant folder. It found everything it needed.
How do you know where the configuration folder will end up (with a new OS)? That is why I did it that way. KISS, just replace the contents of folders.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
bb63
bb63 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
i was replying in an old thread, and glad you have the warning system! i too am im in the process of moving my calibre library to my new macbook...which is great and annoying at the same time. setting up dir on my external drive, and pointing to it in the setup process worked fairly easily. one note however, i did have to place it on my desktop, as it wouldn't recognize a dir off the computer.

i saw this entry when someone had asked about pluggins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open configuration directory

Note that copying configurations like this is not officially supported, but if you're lucky, it will just work.
as for this...should i just c&p into the pluggin dir on the new comp? it doesn't seem to ask me for anything when i open this menu. hope that makes sense.

thanks
bb63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
How do you know where the configuration folder will end up (with a new OS)? That is why I did it that way. KISS, just replace the contents of folders.
Mine was set to go in the Dropbox folder, back when I was planning to do the whole OPDS thing.

And as for transferring the content, I used an MS app to copy from a Win7 laptop to a Win7 laptop. Here is some more info:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...-a-new-laptop/

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-01-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:

Can somebody break this down into easier instructions for me please?

When you say 'copy that ENTIRE contents of--old library folder into the new folder.' Do you mean all the books in my original Calibre library? If so how do you do this?

Or do you mean a separate folder that will be on my old computer that needs to be put in a new folder that will be formed when you install Calibre on the new computer?

Perhaps somebody can break this all down into step-by-step instructions so that I do not get it wrong.

Thanks

HB

Last edited by Heathside Boy; 02-27-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I am very literal in my instructions for a reason.

Contents... EVERYTHING (Use Ctrl-A AKA: 'Select All'). 'Books' is only some things that are in the Library folder
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
1) Copy your entire calibre folder (library) to a usb stick
2) Find your calibre settings folder (optional) and copy that to the usb stick as well. You can find it by going to Preferences =?Miscellaneous and clicking the "Open Calibre configuration directory"
3) Install calibre on your new Pc
4) Copy the contents of your settings folder from your usb stick into the settings folder on your new installation (optional)
5) Copy the library to the desired location on your new Pc
6) Open calibre on your new Pc
7) Click Library=>SwitchLibrary and then click the Browse button to locate the library you've just copied over.
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Heathside Boy
HB

Thank you all! I'll be back if I muck it all up
Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
kenr276
Enthusiast
kenr276 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
@Heathside Boy: Did everything workout OK, any tips?

Ken
kenr276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr276 View Post
@Heathside Boy: Did everything workout OK, any tips?

Ken
Hi Ken,

Yes, everything worked out okay in the end. All the advice from the various people in this thread is good advice especially the link that is given about how to go about this procedure. The step-by-step instructions given in one of the posts is particularly helpful. If you follow the advice here, you won't go far wrong :-)

I hope it all goes well for you.

Good luck

HB