Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
nima1977
nima1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung I900
An Ebook Reader for Scanned PDFs

at first, sorry if i make a new thread. I couldn't find my answer in existing threads.
I'm looking for a reader with this specifications:
1- capability of displaying scanned PDFs
2-good indoor legibility
3-relatively large display (8" or larger) for displaying non-reflowable A4 pages.
4-easy file transferring from computer (for instance via USB cable or WiFi)
5-ability to display chm prc doc files as well as PDF
6-I want to make comments on my PDFS (for instance put underline, notes... on my PDFs)
7- working on battery at least for 4 hours
8-not heavier than 2 lbs (1 kg)
9- playing mp3 is not crucial but very favorable
10-a color screen is good but not a factor in my decision
thank you all
nima1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
I'm pretty sure the iPad meets most of the requirements you mention, though you'd need to buy a PDF app to be able to read them on it and annotate.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
nima1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
I'm pretty sure the iPad meets most of the requirements you mention, though you'd need to buy a PDF app to be able to read them on it and annotate.
thank u for your reply, I have two questions:
1- isn't iPad display too glossy for reading? (I have not any experience with it)
2- don't you have any problem in transferring PDF files to your iPad? I frequently hear that transferring files between PC and iPad is not as easy as Pocket PC or cell phone!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
exapted
exapted began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
I'm looking for an ereader, and, if I am not mistaken, my objectives are similar to yours.

First a disclaimer: I don't currently own a tablet / ereader.

It sounds like eye comfort and clarity/contrast are probably important to you. If so, then I think e-ink is the best idea. If you want something not too expensive, NOW, with e-ink, that displays pdfs, including scanned pdfs, acceptably well, then the Kindle DX is perhaps the only choice. Others are smaller or more expensive. I am not sure about annotating in the Kindle DX - I think that might not work That's one reason that I'm waiting. I am pretty sure I want something with e-ink. I am quite often at a computer, and I have a web-enabled smartphone, so I can read my RSS feeds and browse the web almost as much as I want. The slight inconvenience of not being able to get live updates of my blogs on my ereader would not be a big deal, especially considering that I don't plan to pay for another 3G plan or other 3G data service (I don't live in the US). The actual act of viewing text on a surface with my eyes, in comfort and with high efficiency and portability, is my primary concern. So, I don't really want a glossy screen. Other concerns are note-taking and portability. I would love to be able to write into my ereader - the PocketBook 902 will have stylus input. Also, the PocketBook 902 will be 3XX grams and will have a plastic non-glare screen. Unfortunately it will be out sometime around September or November! (The PocketBook 901 will also be out around the same time, and not include stylus input.) Finger touch-screen input doesn't make much difference to me.

If you are considering a tablet with LCD, and you can wait, then I think you should consider the Notion Ink Adam, with Pixel Qi technology (which should be nicer on the eyes than other types of LCDs). I do think that the ipad has a nice interface, but the Notion Ink Adam is probably going to be a better value, considering that it will have a Pixel Qi display, will run Android, and will be able to run a variety of Android apps, sort of like the ipad can run iphone apps. I might be biased, since I develop Android apps, but I am pretty sure that Android will have enough apps. The other thing is that Android is more versatile in some aspects, such as multi-tasking. (iPhone / iPad will allow a limited form of multi-tasking fairly soon, but Android has multi-tasking now and the multi-tasking works in a broader range of apps than the planned iPhone / iPad multi-tasking.)

There is also the Entourage Edge, but it seems like the e-ink display is sort of low quality (only 8 gray-scale levels?).
exapted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
nima1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapted View Post
I'm looking for an ereader, and, if I am not mistaken, my objectives are similar to yours.

First a disclaimer: I don't currently own a tablet / ereader.

It sounds like eye comfort and clarity/contrast are probably important to you. If so, then I think e-ink is the best idea. If you want something not too expensive, NOW, with e-ink, that displays pdfs, including scanned pdfs, acceptably well, then the Kindle DX is perhaps the only choice. Others are smaller or more expensive. I am not sure about annotating in the Kindle DX - I think that might not work That's one reason that I'm waiting. I am pretty sure I want something with e-ink. I am quite often at a computer, and I have a web-enabled smartphone, so I can read my RSS feeds and browse the web almost as much as I want. The slight inconvenience of not being able to get live updates of my blogs on my ereader would not be a big deal, especially considering that I don't plan to pay for another 3G plan or other 3G data service (I don't live in the US). The actual act of viewing text on a surface with my eyes, in comfort and with high efficiency and portability, is my primary concern. So, I don't really want a glossy screen. Other concerns are note-taking and portability. I would love to be able to write into my ereader - the PocketBook 902 will have stylus input. Also, the PocketBook 902 will be 3XX grams and will have a plastic non-glare screen. Unfortunately it will be out sometime around September or November! (The PocketBook 901 will also be out around the same time, and not include stylus input.) Finger touch-screen input doesn't make much difference to me.

If you are considering a tablet with LCD, and you can wait, then I think you should consider the Notion Ink Adam, with Pixel Qi technology (which should be nicer on the eyes than other types of LCDs). I do think that the ipad has a nice interface, but the Notion Ink Adam is probably going to be a better value, considering that it will have a Pixel Qi display, will run Android, and will be able to run a variety of Android apps, sort of like the ipad can run iphone apps. I might be biased, since I develop Android apps, but I am pretty sure that Android will have enough apps. The other thing is that Android is more versatile in some aspects, such as multi-tasking. (iPhone / iPad will allow a limited form of multi-tasking fairly soon, but Android has multi-tasking now and the multi-tasking works in a broader range of apps than the planned iPhone / iPad multi-tasking.)

There is also the Entourage Edge, but it seems like the e-ink display is sort of low quality (only 8 gray-scale levels?).
thanks for your informative response, what do you thing about iLiad?
I have downloaded a video from Youtube, comparing Kindle and iPad, I put the link in this post.
http://www.4shared.com/video/7mUUey2...Vs_Netboo.html
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nima1977 View Post
what do you thing about iLiad?
The iLiad is still sold by iRex, but there will be no new firmware enhancements from them. It is an older device, which is in some ways still unbeatable for PDFs. You can read (some) CHMs using the 3rd party FBReader app, and it is also one of the few EInk devices still supporting DRMed (encrypted) MOBI ebooks. The other option is to use Calibre (has its own forum here) to convert DRM-free ebooks from any format to MOBI for the iLiad.

The DR800S is the newer 8" device from iRex. The Public BETA of the DR800S seems to have addressed most earlier concerns, and in particular significantly improved PDF support. It includes Adobe Digital Editions for (DRMed) PDFs and ePubs. Once again you can install FBReader for other (DRM-free) ebook formats, and/or use Calibre to convert them to ePub off-line.

I have an iLiad, and eighteen months ago I would have recommended it highly for your needs. It is still the same device today, and still just as good. On balance, I think you would be better off with a DR800S - providing the final version 2.0 firmware lives up to expectations. This device is much faster, and with a much cleaner interface, than the iLiad.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
exapted
exapted began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nima1977 View Post
thanks for your informative response, what do you thing about iLiad?
I have downloaded a video from Youtube, comparing Kindle and iPad, I put the link in this post.
http://www.4shared.com/video/7mUUey2...Vs_Netboo.html
I just ordered a DR1000S. I'll post a review of it after a few weeks of use, and my first impressions soon after it arrives (in the iRex Forum).

I think that means I won't buy a high-end tablet computer or smartphone for a year or two. I'll probably buy one of the cheap (~100 USD) Android tablets that will be out in winter.

That video you linked to was a pretty good review of the iPad. I would like to say that the Notion Ink Adam allows multitasking, has a cam, HD output, and... it looks like it would be easy for them to make a keyboard that attaches onto the device. So it could be a tablet and a netbook. What might be the deciding factor is the available apps. I think iPad will have a slight head start in that regard. But I think it will be possible to run Ubuntu on the Notion Ink Adam (and also maybe Android - dual boot), and linux has plenty of productivity and graphical editing software for real work. Also, the Notion Ink Adam will allow video conferencing, which I think is a big factor.

I'm a sort of unpaid linux and Android evangelist.
exapted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
midnightrambler
midnightrambler began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by exapted View Post
cant wait for this device. was thinking that someone (maybe you? ) should develop a bookscanning app that uses the built in camera.
midnightrambler is offline   Reply With Quote