Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #241
pbrstreetgang42
pbrstreetgang42 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Glo
Had my KG for a few days, replaced my KT, upto now i am very happy with it, have not tried custom fonts as yet (not a problem with KT). my local WHSmith had both the mini and glo on display but the Liverpool branch had an area of the floorspace set aside for all things Kobo with a company rep there too,

The light was the main reason for purchase and its excellent, mine seems very even throughout the screen and havnt spotted any blotches or other issues! Loaded up my library thru Calibre with no issues, updated thru Kobo desktop again problem free.

I havent really noticed the higher res screen but the fonts and detail do seem a lot smoother, there are still things i have not looked at in detail as yet. It does however seem to be definatley quicker in operation and page turns (my
KT would sometimes seem to "bog down")

Have had a Kindle keyboard, kobo wifi, sony prs350 and a kobo touch and the Glo is upto now the best of the bunch

pbrstreetgang42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #242
hyperpiper45
hyperpiper45 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I just bought a Kobo Glo today and my first impressions have been good.

Good stuff:

1. It seems much more responsive than the Kobo Touch. When entering my wifi password and e-mail address I found the keyboard to be good. Page turns are also very responsive and I have had very few occasions where I have had to tap twice.

2. The screen is very good (apart from some issues which I will get to.) The light is even although there is some grey shadowing at the bottom but it is not an issue. I have been reading with the light on all the time and am enjoying the experience. The higher resolution is also noticeable, especially in images and book covers.

Bad Stuff:

1. I did have the device freeze up on me and require a hard reset when I was changing the font size.

2. My screen has two pin pricks where the light seems to shine through unfiltered. It is less noticeable when the light is on low but does become more obvious at the higher settings. I think I will try and exchange my device as it bothers me not being perfect. I tried to capture the problem in the below image.

Overall I am very happy with the device and it is clearly an improvement from the Kobo Touch. I would have liked to compare it with the Kindle Paperwhite but for now it is definitely the best ereader I have owned.

Last edited by hyperpiper45; 10-10-2012 at 05:29 PM.
hyperpiper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #243
book.p
book.p began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo glo
I bought the Kobo glo yesterday, and it's the reason why I'm posting here on mobilereads for the first time. This is my first Kobo reader, and I'm thinking of returning it.

As soon as I plugged the Glo in to set it up, it froze for over 30 minutes. It finally rebooted, but then went through multiple updates. When it prompted me to sign in to my account, the device reset itself and I had to go through the update process once again.

So by the time I could actually use the device, I was very grumpy and frustrated by the long process. But what I'm most unhappy about is the quality of the e-ink/font. As you can see from the images, words are fading in random areas, letters have different weights to them and it just looks very shoddy.

Is the poor e-ink down to the device itself, or the firmware? What I do love is the light, and I'm happy with how quick the page turns are.

I'm debating on whether to get a replacement, or simply get a refund and go back to my Kindle Touch until the Kindle PW is released in the UK. I am wary, though, of getting a replacement and having the same issues with the font.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fadingfont1.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	93854   Click image for larger version

Name:	fadingfont3.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	93855  
book.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #244
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
My experience with Kobo was a nightmare. These posts (even the ones only complaining about having to periodically reset) remind me of those days. I think I will pass.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #245
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by book.p View Post

As soon as I plugged the Glo in to set it up, it froze for over 30 minutes. It finally rebooted, but then went through multiple updates. When it prompted me to sign in to my account, the device reset itself and I had to go through the update process once again.

So by the time I could actually use the device, I was very grumpy and frustrated by the long process.
Someone in Kobo ought to grab this "user experience" and use it to educate their technical staff on what to avoid doing to a new customer. You are quite right to be grumpy, this is terrible.

Made worse of course by your fading font issue. Sorry I can't help you with that, except to say I have noticed some e-ink screens vary a little bit in blackness, and i thought it was temperature related (depending where I held the device, that area would be slightly warmer). If it's bad enough to annoy you, I am sure it should be replaced under warranty, or you could, as you say, get a refund.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #246
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Well after trying the 2.1.4 update on my KT and returning to 1.9.17 due to reboots after it wakes and reading about all the problems with the KGlo I decided, instead of buying the Glo, to get an air rifle instead. Wise choice on my part I think.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #247
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I was going through some old pictures I took with my phone the other day, and came across a couple I took of my Kobo Touch. They surprised me! I had completely forgotten this same low battery warning already existed pre-2.0.0. Image attached. However, indeed as you say XrXca, this warning doesn't show up when you're reading a book. Pretty useless, as that's exactly when you need it. I'm only on the home screen when I'm in between books, and I'm not going to check the book menu periodically to see how the battery is doing, especially not when the book is exciting!

So, I want a pop-up warning that screams at me for more juice.
yeah, i can understand that (though I have an edictionary which screams a little too loud, making the battery drain super quick and making looking anything up super annoying!)

you can also see the message if you tap at middle bottom to get the menu to show up, which is something i do do when reading (to check the time, etc) but as you say, if you are super into a book, hard to "unrivet" your eyes/mind.

quite funny that you found that in an old picture though.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #248
book.p

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Someone in Kobo ought to grab this "user experience" and use it to educate their technical staff on what to avoid doing to a new customer. You are quite right to be grumpy, this is terrible.

Made worse of course by your fading font issue. Sorry I can't help you with that, except to say I have noticed some e-ink screens vary a little bit in blackness, and i thought it was temperature related (depending where I held the device, that area would be slightly warmer). If it's bad enough to annoy you, I am sure it should be replaced under warranty, or you could, as you say, get a refund.
Thanks for your response, jusmee.

I kept switching the device on and off, hoping the font issues would miraculously disappear. It was wishful thinking on my part.

And to add to the crappy experience, a book has now disappeared from my shelf. I'll ask for a refund, and wait for the PW to arrive.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #249
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
So by the time I could actually use the device, I was very grumpy and frustrated by the long process. But what I'm most unhappy about is the quality of the e-ink/font. As you can see from the images, words are fading in random areas, letters have different weights to them and it just looks very shoddy.

Is the poor e-ink down to the device itself, or the firmware? What I do love is the light, and I'm happy with how quick the page turns are.

I'm debating on whether to get a replacement, or simply get a refund and go back to my Kindle Touch until the Kindle PW is released in the UK. I am wary, though, of getting a replacement and having the same issues with the font.
This has never happened on my KT or KG, except when I use the center-tap menus and close them, without triggering a full-page refresh. But I'm guessing that is not what is happening with your device. Based on reviews of both devices (and my experience with the Glo) I'd just return it for a new one rather than wait for the Paperwhite, but that's just me.

Last edited by kobokobe; 10-10-2012 at 09:40 PM.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #250
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
This has never happened on my KT or KG, except when I use the center-tap menus and close them, without triggering a full-page refresh. But I'm guessing that is not what is happening with your device. Based on reviews of both devices I'd just return it for a new one rather than wait for the Paperwhite, but that's just me.
I haven't tried a PW but, yeah, doesn't sound like owners are overly happy either.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #251
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm curious. Has anyone tried downgrading to pre-2.0 firmware on a Glo (or a mini)? Does that work?
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #252
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canorka View Post
I'm curious. Has anyone tried downgrading to pre-2.0 firmware on a Glo (or a mini)? Does that work?
There is no pre 2.1.1 firmware available for either. Given the hardware changes on the Glo, I don't see a way to downgrade without creating a trick. Ditto the Mini.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #253
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I had completely forgotten this same low battery warning already existed. ... However, indeed as you say XrXca, this warning doesn't show up when you're reading a book. Pretty useless, as that's exactly when you need it. I'm only on the home screen when I'm in between books, and I'm not going to check the book menu periodically to see how the battery is doing, especially not when the book is exciting!

So, I want a pop-up warning that screams at me for more juice.
I concur, not really sure how, maybe on the page refresh check the battery level and if at X level popup a warning, but how often does this pop up? and many other tiny details (always love this kind of 'simple' additions, always more complicated than they seem to be...)
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #254
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
I bought the Kobo glo yesterday, and it's the reason why I'm posting here on mobilereads for the first time. This is my first Kobo reader, and I'm thinking of returning it.

I'm sorry you're having such a horrible experience. That's just not nice at all. New things should be fun and work right away. Very dangerous if it doesn't, as, like what happened with you, it puts the user off and creates distrust in the device.

As for the font issue, have you tried the other fonts? Does it happen with all the fonts? Does it always happen in the same area of the screen (I can't see it very well on your second picture), or does that vary? And, does it happen to all books or just the one example?

If it happens with everything everywhere it's probably the device. I haven't read or heard anyone else have this issue, so in my opinion it would be worth giving the Kobo Glo another chance by exchanging it. Your device is faulty, it's hardly fair to swear off the Glo completely because you were unlucky enough to receive a broken one. Having said that, I do understand your frustration and wanting to stay on the safe side. Good luck.

UPDATE: Book.p, a similar font thickness issue has been reported in the link below. Advice given was to try and set page refresh from 6 to 1 (from within advanced settings in the book menu). https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88#post2259291

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
I concur, not really sure how, maybe on the page refresh check the battery level and if at X level popup a warning, but how often does this pop up? and many other tiny details (always love this kind of 'simple' additions, always more complicated than they seem to be...)
Mmm yes. I'd say, have it show up only once. Say, once at 20%, the user can say "OK" and the popup disappears. Then again at 10%, then 5%... and then maybe 2%? And after that if it switches off without any power, it's just the users own fault for being too lazy to get up and find a cable to charge.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 10-11-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #255
book.p

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
This has never happened on my KT or KG, except when I use the center-tap menus and close them, without triggering a full-page refresh. But I'm guessing that is not what is happening with your device. Based on reviews of both devices (and my experience with the Glo) I'd just return it for a new one rather than wait for the Paperwhite, but that's just me.
I kept it on for over 3 hours last night, and the font issue did seem to improve slightly. But then when I switched back to the book I was reading (the one in the images) the fading came back badly.

If I know for certain that there wouldn't be any font issues in a replacement device, I would ask for another. But I'm not sure that the WHSmith store would allow me try out each device checking for font issues lol