Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Vancouver reader
Vancouver reader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, I'm a new member with questions

I'm hoping someone can help me make a decision about which ereader to buy. i have an ipad but i find it too big to fit in my purse and too heavy so I am looking at the new Kobo vox and the kindle fire as devices that i can carry with me.
I need help figuring out
1. If the Kobo can access magazines and newspapers when I travel in France,
2. How well does it handle movies. Is there a connection yet with netflix in Canada?
3. When do you think the kindle fire will allow downloads in Canada
4. What would your recommendation be betweem the two?
thanks so much for any and all insight you can offer
Vancouver reader...
Vancouver reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I don't own a Kobo and just bought a Fire. But have you browsed the Kobo sub forum? You may find answer to some of your Kobo questions there.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I don't think we'll see native Kindle Fire downloads here in Canada any time soon. It's a _very_ complicated issue, with digital rights and the ever present CRTC.

That being said, there are workarounds, including US proxy/vpn servers but you'll need to load an unsupported app onto your Fire for that to work.

No Kobo here, so no idea what they support in this space, but ask in the Kobo forum.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome VR!

Are you picking the Lions and giving the points?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote