Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
More wood on the fire...

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat...del_151128.asp

In an email to agents this evening, Hachette Book Group USA CEO David Young announced a shift to an agency model for eBook pricing.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
In related news, torrent sites, usenet, and irc see a surge in users.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat...del_151128.asp

In an email to agents this evening, Hachette Book Group USA CEO David Young announced a shift to an agency model for eBook pricing.
So it's all right for the big publishers to steal from the ebook customers?

What saddens me is that the only people that will be hurt by their actions are the authors as more and more once-upon-a-time customers make the switch to the darknet and ebook piracy.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post

What saddens me is that the only people that will be hurt by their actions are the authors as more and more once-upon-a-time customers make the switch to the darknet and ebook piracy.

Derek
How is setting a price for a product stealing? that's frankly ridiculous.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:12 AM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Don't be ridiculous.

Right now, my most desperate hope is that publishers are not keeping an eye on Mobileread. Because if I were a publisher looking at this forum I'd be sorely tempted to walk away from the tiny ebook market in disgust.

If anyone from the industry is reading this forum, I can only hope they take it with a huge pinch of salt and realise that people who read ebooks are not in fact a bunch of self-opinionated cheapskates with entitlement issues who will use the slightest excuse to justify pirating authors' work.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
charleski "If anyone from the industry is reading this forum, I can only hope they take it with a huge pinch of salt and realise that people who read ebooks are not in fact a bunch of self-opinionated cheapskates with entitlement issues who will use the slightest excuse to justify pirating authors' work."

You are a corporations dream come true, and I do realize that most are like you. I am of course their worst nightmare as I am as you call "self-opinionated". Yes, a pesky individual....... why can't they all just obey the corporate state? The cattle must be kept in line!!!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
In related news, torrent sites, usenet, and irc see a surge in users.
What evidence do you have for that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
charleski "If anyone from the industry is reading this forum, I can only hope they take it with a huge pinch of salt and realise that people who read ebooks are not in fact a bunch of self-opinionated cheapskates with entitlement issues who will use the slightest excuse to justify pirating authors' work."

You are a corporations dream come true, and I do realize that most are like you. I am of course their worst nightmare as I am as you call "self-opinionated". Yes, a pesky individual....... why can't they all just obey the corporate state? The cattle must be kept in line!!!
Well played sir, karma to you!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #9
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:

Derek
Well don't take advantage of your customers in the first place then and they won't take advantage of you.

There is a reason Baen and other authors who have embraced the digital world are doing so well and why their books aren't overloaded on the torrent sites.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Well don't take advantage of your customers in the first place then and they won't take advantage of you.

There is a reason Baen and other authors who have embraced the digital world are doing so well and why their books aren't overloaded on the torrent sites.
Unfortunately I saw a whole catalog of Baen books on torrent in one download file . If I could have I would have taken them out of there..... there is no good reason for their products to be on torrents, and I urge everyone to not punish the good with the bad!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #11
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post

Do you have some evidence to show that baens policy is helping them do better than oooh say Macmillans policy?

if you do then great unfortunately I doubt it's the case.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Unfortunately I saw a whole catalog of Baen books on torrent in one download file . If I could have I would have taken them out of there..... there is no good reason for their products to be on torrents, and I urge everyone to not punish the good with the bad!
But to be devild advocate for a second all baen are doing is selling less popular products cheaper. and with no drm to try and differentiate them in a market where they sell a 'on paper' anyway a less valuable product.

Why should Baen charge anymore than a couple of Dollars for an Ebook?? after all there are no printing or advertising or storage costs etc, surely $2 would be more reasonable.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #13
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
But to be devild advocate for a second all baen are doing is selling less popular products cheaper. and with no drm to try and differentiate them in a market where they sell a 'on paper' anyway a less valuable product.

Why should Baen charge anymore than a couple of Dollars for an Ebook?? after all there are no printing or advertising or storage costs etc, surely $2 would be more reasonable.
If you are being a devils advocate, then the devil needs to take a few ethics, business and economics classes.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #14
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
If you are being a devils advocate, then the devil needs to take a few ethics, business and economics classes.
Too busy fiddling
Old 02-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Do you have some evidence to show that baens policy is helping them do better than oooh say Macmillans policy?

if you do then great unfortunately I doubt it's the case.
I for one would love to know if this is really the case, is Baen's combination of the free library and webscriptions actually successful? Everyone keeps pointing to them as the bright shining light of how things should be done, but is it really a vialbe model for more than the admittedly niche market Baen is in?

Personally, I fall right into there market, so whether it is successful or not I hope they keep it up.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote