Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Thumbs up Jetbooks arrived today.

2 Jetbooks for parents, my wife and I are lucky enough to be in our 50's and have all 4 parents with us yet.

1 Jetbook lite for me, leaves us with a Jetbook with some 6 months wear and tear on it as a backup or spare. Which considering how dependent I have become on it is a very good feeling to have a backup.

I did have some tense moments when I put the new NiZn rechargeable batterys in as the Jetbook didn't seem to want to power up. I think I was just rushing it. Swapped battery's twice, third time just pushed the power button once for a second then set it down to answer the phone. Looked over a minute later and it was booting up.

So apparently, yes the Jetbook lite will run on the 1.6v Powercenix NiZn rechargeables. And yes I did get them from the Thomas distributing site in the rechargeable battery thread.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com

$24.57 1 Powergenix AA, AAA NiZn Battery Charger Includes Four 2500mWhrs Powergenix NiZn AA Batteries
$12.57 1 Powergenix 2500mWhrs AA Nickel Zinc Rechargeable Batteries (4)
$37.14 plus shipping for total of $44.74

NAMED WINNER OF POPULAR SCIENCE BEST OF WHAT'S NEW 2009 AWARD!

The Powergenix quick charger for NiZn batteries would be an excellent addition to your rechargeable collection! The Powergenix NiZn batteries are 1.6V which means improved performance from the 1.2V rechargeable batteries. The batteries have a small size and low internal resistance, which enables the delivery of more power during periods of use than a NiCd or NiMH battery. The Powergenix rechargeable batteries are completely environmentally friendly!

# These high voltage 1.6 Volt AA NiZn batteries offer advanced performance for high drain devices such as digital cameras.
# Approximately 30% higher voltage than 1.2V rechargeable NiMh
# Eco-Friendly- Nickel, as well as zinc, are non-toxic and recycled easily.
# The Powergenix NiZn battery has as much as 33% more energy density than the standard rechargeables.
# Input Voltage: 110-240V
# Charger will charge 1, 2, 3 or 4 AA NiZn batteries or 1 or 2 AAA NiZn Batteries independently in one hour.

# Charges in as little as 1.5 hours
* 110-240V
* Charges 1,2,3, or 4 AA NiZn batteries or 1 or 2 AAA NiZn batteries
* Will ONLY charge NiZn batteries
* Has a built in power supply which will automatically adjust to any voltage for international use.
#Batteries:
* Nickel Zinc
* 1.6 Volt
* 2500mWhrs
* Great for high drain devices such as digital cameras, MP3 players, toys and much more!

I'll be adding more to this as we see how they go through their first load cycle.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Bill, have you written a review for your free case? You deserve one!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Sounds good so far, hope they prove out.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Got 2 with the regular Jetbooks, and the wife & I really don't use them.
Wife has one she uses sometimes.
But I like mine straight up.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!

Jetbooks arrived thur's evening, I swapped the SD card and fired up the JBL about 9:00 Thursday night. Read off and on all weekend, I wouldn't say "more" than average, but probably not "less" either.

Here's my point, read for at least 5 hours yesterday, and when I put the JBL down last night the battery indicator was still showing 4 bars.

Regular Jetbook I'd of had to recharge by now for sure.

I think by the looks of it, I'm going to be VERY happy with these NiZm rechargeable's.
Going to the In-laws in Brookings SD this weekend so I'll have a better idea on Monday just how well they are going to do.
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!

Was reading this am, battery indicator shows 4 bars, then a low battery warning pops up, I hit the return key to get rid of the warning, battery indicator drops to a single bar.

So I swapped them out.

Still, 6 days on a charge for me is very good. I'd say it was at least 50% longer than I would have gotten with the Jetbook. And probably almost double the usage.
Still a very happy camper with the JBL and the NiZn rechargeable battery's.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Was reading this am, battery indicator shows 4 bars, then a low battery warning pops up, I hit the return key to get rid of the warning, battery indicator drops to a single bar.

So I swapped them out.

Still, 6 days on a charge for me is very good. I'd say it was at least 50% longer than I would have gotten with the Jetbook. And probably almost double the usage.
Still a very happy camper with the JBL and the NiZn rechargeable battery's.
Yes, it is a good result!
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Interesting, I'll get a charger and a couple sets of the batteries, and add them to my
current testing.

I'm still on the eMax+ 2500 mAh first run with 3bars at 12hrs 4min. of use time and
115hrs standby time. This after 222hrs shelf time following recharge.

(Of course the 3 bars means nothing really, it dropped to the 3 bars at the 6hrs of
use point.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Bill, it strikes me as odd that the indicator should drop from four bars to one so suddenly.

Last week mine dropped from three to two to one over the course of about an hour, but it had been on three for quite some time.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!

Me too Russell!

I had been expecting it to drop for some time.
And I had been reading for 2 hours when it finally did drop.

Either way 5 1/2 almost 6 days, or I would estimate about 1000 pages.
(seems to change page # only every other turn)
or about 2k page turns.

The thing I really, really, REALLY like, is that rather than having to plug the book in, and walk away, do something else for 4 hours. I was able to swap battery's, and in 5 minutes was back in my book again. That is why I switched, and for that reason alone, IMO the JBL beats the Jetbook.

Ohhh and one set of mom's and dad's came by today.
Shocked, then uncertain, then interested, then intrigued.
By the time I was done my dad was starting to show signs that this is going to work.

Mom has rather wider tastes and can still read regular print.
Dad after 45 years of farming is needing large print in order to read.
Set it to max size, and swapped it landscape style and he could read that easily.

Time will tell, but he's 85, almost 86, and the longer I can keep him sharp and interested the longer he'll be around.

Tags
jetbook, jetbook lite, powergenix, rechargeable