Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: December 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 10 10.53%
Walden by Henry David Thoreau 8 8.42%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 5 5.26%
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens 11 11.58%
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins 17 17.89%
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas 10 10.53%
A Room With A View by E. M. Forster 12 12.63%
War of the Worlds by H G Wells 16 16.84%
Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain 5 5.26%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Not that you'd ever try to manipulate the vote or anything.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Who mentioned December?

This book needs to be read by December 20th. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year are all after that. There is only one major holiday prior to that date, and that is Thanksgiving (which is a US only thing).

No need to be so touchy about it!
Hanukkah is December 1-9. So no, it is not after the 20th. Not in 2010. That means if you are celebrating or giving gifts to those that are, you'll need to get your shopping done before December. Also, in the USA, we do have Thanksgiving.

So given how busy things can get, the length of the book for December does matter. The longer it is, the less chance it's going to be finished in time. That was what I was trying to say and using maybe the longest book in the list was what I was doing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Not that you'd ever try to manipulate the vote or anything.
Not this time. I'm just saying, it is silly to vote for a book that may be too long to finish it in time given all that might be going on.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not this time. I'm just saying, it is silly to vote for a book that may be too long to finish it in time given all that might be going on.
That doesn't sound manipulative at all...
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I suggest we all vote for War of the Words and forgo actually reading it. Instead we all listen to Jeff Wayne's musical version of War of the Worlds. That would be different and highly enjoyable.
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #21
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Hanukkah is December 1-9. So no, it is not after the 20th. Not in 2010. That means if you are celebrating or giving gifts to those that are, you'll need to get your shopping done before December. Also, in the USA, we do have Thanksgiving.

So given how busy things can get, the length of the book for December does matter. The longer it is, the less chance it's going to be finished in time. That was what I was trying to say and using maybe the longest book in the list was what I was doing.
I stand corrected on the date of Hanukkah - sorry.

I understand that the shorter a book, the more likely it is to get finished. I just don't see that from now to December 20th is much busier than any other month (unless you are in America).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I stand corrected on the date of Hanukkah - sorry.

I understand that the shorter a book, the more likely it is to get finished. I just don't see that from now to December 20th is much busier than any other month (unless you are in America).
The UK has Hunkkah or at least shopping for it. Christmas & Boxing Day as well. There is also Kwanzaa for those who celebrate it. Plus there is all the shopping, all the cooking, all the traveling to or having others travel to you. It's is a lot busier then any other month of the year and this is not just for the USA. The only thing that's busy for the USA is Thanksgiving. December is not a holiday month just for the USA. It's world wide.

So yes, it can be a rather busy time and the longer the book, the less chance it will get read. The last time we took a family vacation we went in December to spend the holidays with family in Scotland.

Now if you have visitors coming, they will most likely be there before the 20th and you'll not be spending as much time reading.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #23
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:

Now if you have visitors coming, they will most likely be there before the 20th and you'll not be spending as much time reading.
I wish!

I, like many others here, don't even finish work till the 24th!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Of course, there is no requirement to finish the book by the 20th. Just ignore the thread until you have the book read... then jump into the conversation when you are ready.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #25
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Good point Bob. I've seen it on several occasions in the previous discussion threads so no point in why it shouldn't work this time.

Better to vote for a book you actually want to read than because of how many pages it contains.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #26
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Lets not forget Festivus for the rest of us. I so look forward the the Festivus pole and the Airing of Grievances. It is on the 23rd of December.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #27
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Musical War of the Worlds?? LOL, that would be different!!

Or just listen to the original, that's such a great piece of audio drama!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Musical War of the Worlds?? LOL, that would be different!!

Or just listen to the original, that's such a great piece of audio drama!
How does this grab you? We could listen to both.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #29
frq
frq doesn't litterfrq doesn't litter

Device: positivo alfa / n618
Dumas

The Count of Monte Cristo, first vote for it, I believe.
frq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #30
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
I voted for Woman in White b/c I just read it last week! But, it's even longer than Great Expectations (523 epub pages) It's excellent, though, very much in the same vein as Jane Eyre. I've read GE also and liked it but it's not my favorite Dickens.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote