Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Ok, hello from me to all of you.

Hi

I joined because I like joining things.

Also I am seriously considering an ebook reader and I normally regret buying a compromise so my current favourite is the irex iLiad edition 2 ebook reader.

Other than price anyone got any reasons why I would not buy one and any other options that are better?

Thanks

Peter

Last edited by peterbbb; 06-29-2008 at 11:17 AM.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Ah -- you see -- there's the rub. There are very few members of this forum who own more than one device and are prepared to give you an objective evaluation. Rather, you find people with particular preferences which are reflected in the device which they bought.

Now, me for example ... I own a Kindle from Amazon. Since I live in the USA, the device came closest to meeting my own requirements. I bought an eBook reader for recreational reading, therefore I didn't need the larger screen size or PDF-display capabilities of the iLiad. I am unwilling to try and use a single device for all purposes, so I could be happy with a device that doesn't even have Internet capability -- I own a computer for that -- and therefore the Sony was a good second choice for me. What won me over was the fact that Amazon has publicly committed to get the most current release content available as quickly as possible and at a low purchase price. And there you have it.

The best device for one user isn't the best for another so it's very good that there are choices.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, peterbbb. Enjoy the forum! Read what Elsi said, she is right on. Everyone here is very helpful and they will offer their best opinion based on their experience with their devices.
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

OK Peter ... I was intrigued by your avatar, so I searched and found the Manyana Education on the Internet. I enjoyed looking at the site, but I did not understand the word "inset" in this context. Please explain.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for quick replies

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I realise that folk have what they have and reviews are not what I want.

I just wondered if anyone had thought there was a better reader than the iLiad if cost was not the issue.

I have come to the conclusion that it does all I need it to and more but I am just being a little cautious before I part with the cash.
Advert
Old 06-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
peterbbb
BoyReader

INSET is IN SErvice Training.

It is the generic name for the training that schools provide for their staff.

I offer schools and individuals a range of training and development programmes. Such as data management, leadership, etc. As on my under development website.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbbb View Post
INSET is IN SErvice Training.
I had decided that it referred to in-service training from the context, but just didn't see the derivation of the "inset" term. I am from a family of teachers. At the time I was born, both parents were teaching school, though my mother resigned shortly afterward and went into accounting and data processing. My father taught mathematics in the high school. The year that I was seven, he took a summer job at a bank and decided to stay at the bank instead of going back to teaching. My degree is in elementary education and my husband's degree is in industrial education. I taught school for one year and then went back to university to get a master's degree in software engineering. Hubby started a graduate program in education, but abandoned it when he got a job installing and servicing mainframe computers. (This was 10 years or so before the first PCs came out!) Our daughter has earned her degree in mathematics education and has completed her first year of teaching. During the summer, she is tutoring at Sylvan.

A hobby is following education technology and trends. I'm intrigued with curriculum development -- particularly integrated programs for the secondary student.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
peterbbb
BoyReader

Things tend to go well with teachers on board...

There seem to be two versions of the iLiad. One with one without wireless.

I am hoping that it will be possible, in the future to use the iLiad as a kind of tablet PC and access the internet with it using a web browser. I also very much like the idea of downloading my daily newspaper and reading that in the train.

Just told my wife who asked "What are you buying now?" that I was spending "lots". So I guess its ok to go ahead and do so.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
Quote:
Other than price anyone got any reasons why I would not buy one and any other options that are better?
Welcome Peter. I think that apart from the price what would make me personally hesitate are the battery (you'll find a LOT of posts around this issue) and of course the vulnerability of the larger screen.
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
peterbbb
BoyReader

Had not considered the larger screen and its vulnerability.

Get a carry case????

15 hours battery seems ok. Is it enough to read a book a week? Is it that longer battery life devices seem to be better but that charging the device up is not really a hassle? Or...
Old 06-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Also I am seriously considering an ebook reader and I normally regret buying a compromise so my current favourite is the irex iLiad edition 2 ebook reader.

Talk to HarryT about the illiad... he used to have one and doesn't give it high marks. Of course, you use case for the reader will much affect the decisions. I think by this end of year holiday season there are going to be at least 1/2 dozen of good choices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
peterbbb
BoyReader

Will do. Harry T where are you?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi peterbbb and welcome to the Forum. I've got a Sony 505 and like it a lot. Very good battery life. Go to the 'Which One Should I buy' Forum for lots of advice and facts about all teh eBook readers. It's here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote