Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #46
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
UPEDR....

Hmm. Incredibly accurate, but lacking a bit in concision. However, I would ask permission to use that phrase in the future (citing the source, of course, of course).

;-
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #47
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
"That newfangled electronic thing for reading books"
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #48
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
If UPEDR is an option, you might as well go with Star Trek's PADD, personal acess display device. One syllable.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #49
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jadon:

That would be a cromulent acronym provided these devices had native support for colour, video, audio, and internet.

Sadly, as so few--if any--of the current crop of digital text machines do so, I doubt that we can apply the term.

Plus, while I like a neat acronym, I feel uneasy appropriating one from that mythos.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #50
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i like the french term "liseuse" very much as a generic word, which can be translated as "reader" quite simply. however i suppose you are probably looking for an english term...
I like liseuse, and lets face it, English is full of words that have been acquired from elsewhere. That's what makes it so great, that it has words like dinosaur, mana, kilometre and Eskimo in it (Greek, Polynesian, French and Eskimo respectively). It's not as though one more French word in the language will hurt the situation, our spelling is already atrocious. I'm sure we could Anglicise the spelling enough that the French would disown the term Perhaps lissoose so that merkins can pronounce it properly :P
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #51
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
If UPEDR is an option, you might as well go with Star Trek's PADD, personal acess display device. One syllable.
...and we come neatly full circle back to Prospect's orginal (almost) suggestion !

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I like liseuse, and lets face it, English is full of words that have been acquired from elsewhere. That's what makes it so great, that it has words like dinosaur, mana, kilometre and Eskimo in it (Greek, Polynesian, French and Eskimo respectively). It's not as though one more French word in the language will hurt the situation, our spelling is already atrocious. I'm sure we could Anglicise the spelling enough that the French would disown the term Perhaps lissoose so that merkins can pronounce it properly :P
that's true ! english is the richest language because it has "borrowed" from every other language. i fully support the idea of lending yet another french word.

i should specify that if you want to anglicize it, a closer transcription would be "lizooze" (it's not quite the real french pronunciation, the vowel sound in "euse" is pronounced more like the "e" in "her", but it's closer).

maybe between the two of us, we could start using it here, start a trend and launch our very own neologism ! it could be our 15 minutes of glory...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #52
Christian Pujol
Christian Pujol began at the beginning.

Device: N95
I call it "telefonino", Cell-phone in Italian.
And in fact in general i do not believe in the future of a a "text only" reader.
I can't imagine future reader who cannot access the web, and if i can access web, i want to do it with an unique device with which i can read text, listen music, watch video, call friend...
And if the French "liseuse" have a nice sound, it smell a little: "I CANT call it READER it's an English term and I speak FRENCH" symptom of an old French illness which have give us "mèl" for not using "mail"
Christian Pujol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #53
Cthulhu
Technologist

Oui Oui.

Find it interesting that the French as a nation are so stringent with their language trade, going so far as to erect monumental tariffs and creating a governmental organisation whose sole purpose is to transmogrify non-Francais words, and retro-actively 'retire' those that all ready made it into the country.

As a people, I find them quite tasty though.
;-
Old 02-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #54
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Oui Oui.

Find it interesting that the French as a nation are so stringent with their language trade, going so far as to erect monumental tariffs and creating a governmental organisation whose sole purpose is to transmogrify non-Francais words, and retro-actively 'retire' those that all ready made it into the country.

As a people, I find them quite tasty though.
;-
Cthulu, remind me never to accept, if you invite me for dinner...

Christian : in fact, the original idea of this thread was searching for an alternate word for "reader" because of the confusion with the format with that name (although personally i do think that for simplicity and convenience eventually "reader" or "e-reader" will become the genericised term, like now we say "kleenex" for a paper handkercheif).

i do like the term liseuse but not specifically because it is french ; i say "mail" not "mél" (in french also) and i think that just as english is richer for borrowing from other languages, so is french ; sometimes, it is much more cumbersome to create a franco-français paraphrase when there exists a shorter, precise word in english, so why not use it.

personally, i do not want my liseuse and my telefonino to be the same device : i want my telefonino to be much much smaller than my liseuse (or maybe i should say, i want my liseuse to be much bigger than my telefonino), and i want my liseuse with a nice e-ink screen (or better, with future technology...), to give me a pleasant reading experience. in the métro, i read on my telephone sometimes, but i will never *prefer* that : tiny screen, ugly text, no illustrations...

i do beleive in the future of a "text-only" device or at least a "text-principally" device (even if it incorporates other features in the future) because multi-media (video etc.) and reading need much different technology, unless there is a way to make a screen which can switch between e-ink and regular cellphone / computer screen. i hate reading on my computer, the light hurts my eyes.

maybe for some people there is no need for a specific device for reading, but i think it is completely worthwhile and i suspect there might be a few more as well...

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 02-24-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: found a typo
Old 02-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #55
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Actually, I rather like "liseuse" as well, but I doubt it will catch on. Unless someone starts a very popular website or format or something using the term.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #56
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i should specify that if you want to anglicize it, a closer transcription would be "lizooze" (it's not quite the real french pronunciation, the vowel sound in "euse" is pronounced more like the "e" in "her", but it's closer).
The problem is that people will think you're talking about the output of the queen of Australia (and Wales and Zimbabwe), Liz-ooze. That's why I prefer lissoose or maybe lizoose, it's not as accurate but I think more people will accept it. We might even get to four people! Lots of English-speaking people struggle with spelling Francais, even without accented letters (they also struggle to spell English).

I shall start a website with the name and see what happens

Last edited by moz; 02-25-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added lizoose (a type of lizard?)
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #57
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
The problem is that people will think you're talking about the output of the queen of Australia (and Wales and Zimbabwe), Liz-ooze. That's why I prefer lissoose or maybe lizoose, it's not as accurate but I think more people will accept it. We might even get to four people! Lots of English-speaking people struggle with spelling Francais, even without accented letters (they also struggle to spell English).
I will defer to your judgement on the spelling matter, especially since i am a pretty good speller in french and english (maybe it's a benefit from reading so much ).

Quote:
I shall start a website with the name and see what happens
I will visit this website and spread the word (literally)
Old 02-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #58
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I think we should call them Zeldas and be done with it! It's certainly an easier name to say than liseuse - for me, anyway.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #59
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I think we should call them Zeldas and be done with it! It's certainly an easier name to say than liseuse - for me, anyway.
i hardly know what to reply to that.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #60
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I quite liked Nate's 'Vera'.

'Qui verra Vera l'aimera.'
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth of the cool, farking and lower farking, hugo and lefty, liseuse, ongoing saga, saga, screaming mad adrian, the birth of the cool, the goose, unutterable silliness, vera