Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I don't understand the screensaver (+ how do I disable it?).

I thought once a page was displayed, an electronic reader won't use more power until the next page turn. Why have a screensaver that moves around, then? Isn't that using MORE power? And I haven't heard of eink screen burn-in...

Any way to disable the screensaver?
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't think the screensaver moves around. When the Kindle goes into low power mode it brings up one of its "screensaver" images as a signal to you that it is in that mode. The same image stays on the screen until you exit low power mode.

As you say, this isn't saving the screen from burn in but "screensaver"is now a generic term for something that kicks in after a period of inactivity.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Some of the images definitely move. How do I turn it off?
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I'd be interested to know which one(s). You might double check that. I'm pretty sure none of them are animated.

One purpose of the 'screensaver' is to let you know that most of the controls are disabled. There are almost certainly people out there that would return their Kindle as non-functional if the keys just stopped working. Putting the info in the manual would have no effect. I think I may be one of the very few people that have ever read the Kindle User guide all the way though, based on the questions I see in the forums.

Last edited by JMikeD; 10-01-2008 at 05:09 PM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Images don't move, but they do change from time to time. Some of them feature the same objects, maybe that's why you thought they move.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
In the nine months I've had my Kindle, none of my images have moved. Let us know which of yours do, and just what moves in them.

Maybe by mistake you got a new test model of the Kindle that will be able to display movies.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I simply replaced my Kindle screensaver with a customized book plate image (with my name, address and phone number).

It was easy to do, and now it's really clear from the outset who it belongs to.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I simply replaced my Kindle screensaver with a customized book plate image (with my name, address and phone number).

It was easy to do, and now it's really clear from the outset who it belongs to.
I've been thinking of doing that. With your replacement, do the instructions on the bottom ("Hold down ALT and press [font key] to awaken") still show up?

And, now I can't recall the method of changing the screensavers. Somehow have to create a new folder when hooked up to the USB under the K. directory, and put them there. Was not this only for images, not a text documents, or can I do that too?

Last edited by KlondikeGeoff; 10-02-2008 at 07:10 PM.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
I've been thinking of doing that. With your replacement, do the instructions on the bottom ("Hold down ALT and press [font key] to awaken") still show up?
No, if you want the text you have to add it to the image yourself.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote