Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
shipairtime
shipairtime began at the beginning.

Device: Android
When do you tend to run into size problems ?

I am starting from a clean .txt file at the size of 1069 kb.

After i run it through the Calibre program to turn it into an epub it comes out to 404 Kb.

When I run the book checker i get the message :

"This HTML file is larger than 260 KB. Too large HTML files can cause performance problems on some ebook readers. Consider splitting this file into smaller sections."

It comes in at about 1000 pages when viewing it on my desktop.

So i am wondering , am i close enough to the recommended size that it should be fine or would i be better off splitting the text in half ?
shipairtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I would advise splitting to one XHTML file per chapter, for organization purposes.

As a side benefit it will almost always fit easily within the recommended limit.
Although the limit is really only relevant on older devices, so you don't really need to follow that advice unless you are distributing commercially for a large range of devices.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
shipairtime
shipairtime began at the beginning.

Device: Android
How much space can i save splitting the XHTML file like that ?

The full text of what i am working with is really 8mb I just split it up into different text files cause it was crashing all the editor programs. I would love to be able to work on it in one go.

I honestly have no idea what i am doing. This is my first time trying to make an ebook.

Any way thanks for letting me know how to split it up like that i am gonna test it out.
shipairtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:43 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipairtime View Post
How much space can i save splitting the XHTML file like that ?

The full text of what i am working with is really 8mb I just split it up into different text files cause it was crashing all the editor programs. I would love to be able to work on it in one go.

I honestly have no idea what i am doing. This is my first time trying to make an ebook.

Any way thanks for letting me know how to split it up like that i am gonna test it out.
You don't 'save space', the book gets a tiny bit bigger because of the HTML boilerplate
But smaller segments improves performance since you render smaller chunks at a time
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yeah, most serious editors do syntax highlighting and other fancy stuff. Trying to do that on an 8MB file is asking for trouble.

It's not about saving space. If anything, the combined total will be slightly larger because of duplicating the <head>...</head> content -- although standard EPUB compression will nullify that.
It is about handling each logical chunk of text in easily-digestible bites.

You can still use regular expressions on all the XHTML files in the book. The Editor's Search & Replace tool allows you to select the scope of files to affect.

Have you seen Pablo's quick and dirty EPub Tutorial?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I'm trying to convert one epub - Calibre raes it at 4 mb - which is too big for my e-reader. It freezes if I try to do anything past the first couple hundred pages. It has chapter headers, but no chapter breaks, so I've exported, made duplicates, and re-imported to try to cut it into four pieces.

On that note, is there any way to select and delete everything above or below a specific line? The page down button on my mouse doesn't work in the editor.

Last edited by MarjaE; 05-19-2016 at 06:19 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote