Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
cfFairy
cfFairy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Getting Started

Hi, I'm pretty new to this, so this might be a bit of a dumb question but bear with me What software/programs would work best for writing an ebook. I'm familiar with InDesign and Word, but are there any other word processing programs that I should look into? Or does it matter at all?
Thanks!
cfFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Wouldn't you "write an ebook" the same way you write any other book?

InDesign is a page layout/design program not a word processor. If you're also laying out a book for print then using it to also produce an ePub might not be a bad option, but it seems like overkill if you're final production is going to be digital only. Also I can't imagine you'd want to do the actual writing in a page layout program.

Besides Word there is Open Office, Libre Office and IIRC the Writer 2 ePub extension works with both of those to output an ePub (don't know how good of a job it does). There is also Atlantis Word Processor and Scrivener is a popular program with many.

For good ePub editing tools there is Sigil and the editor in Calibre.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2015, 10:02 PM   #3
cfFairy

Thanks! I guess I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a complicated process that went way over my head
Old 12-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
It is my understanding that the hardest part is connecting the seats.

Or in other words backside in chair.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:16 AM   #5
JwkOKC
Enthusiast
JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD
No, the hardest part is disfiguring that blank page! All too often, it's a real challenge....
JwkOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfFairy View Post
Hi, I'm pretty new to this, so this might be a bit of a dumb question but bear with me What software/programs would work best for writing an ebook. I'm familiar with InDesign and Word, but are there any other word processing programs that I should look into? Or does it matter at all?
Thanks!

Write the book.
Write the book.
Write the book.
Write the book.
Write the book.

Then worry about the rest.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
^ What he said.

Often worrying about format is really a distracting protective thing because we're nervous about starting. Write your story. Get it down. Then figure out the rest. Good luck!

Last edited by pendragginp; 12-02-2015 at 01:54 PM.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
cfFairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Write the book.
Write the book.
Write the book.
Write the book.
Write the book.

Then worry about the rest.
Too true! I recently attended a Ron Carlson Master Class and that was his main topic. Write. Write. Write. A true writer stays in the room.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:31 PM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
When I'm writing, I write. Often, I use a pen and a college ruled, spiral bound notebook. When it's done I type everything into the computer -- the final file needs to be in .doc or .docx format -- but that's text entry, not writing.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
When I'm writing, I type. I can't read my own handwriting any more

But the consensus above matches everything I've read and my limited experience. Writing begets more writing. Answers to plot problems, character development and scene building come out by writing them. Finishing the book happens by writing. It doesn't matter how you write, it only matters that you write.

That tends to make it look like everything else is insignificant. It's not. Writing the story is less than half the job. Turning what you've written into something worthy of publication is a lot of work, but the point of all the advice above is that writing the story has to come first. And the really nice thing about that is: you can write using pretty much anything you want, which should make starting easy! (But most of us manage to make it difficult for ourselves, even if we have to work at it! )
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
creeon
Do This!!
creeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Don't worry about the technical side of the process on this stage. Just write.
creeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #12
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've self-published several novels . . . all done on Word. If you're already comfortable on Word, especially if you already have the program on the computer, there's no need to buy anything. However, it can't hurt to ask around like you're doing. Even though Word is the most popular choice, it's hardly the only game in town. A lot of writers swear by Scrivener. I've been told it's great for managing long mansucripts, viewing chapters at a glance, and overall organizination. I've never used it though, so I have no practical experience.

But I can speak for Word. It gets the job done. Places like Amazon, Smashwords and D2D are setup to convert Word documents to digital format. When you're ready to offer your novel for sale, your document will be good to go, but be sure to familiarize yourself with the DO's and DON'Ts of Word fomatting. I suggest reading the free for downloading Smashwords guide. It will save you a lot of headaches down the line.

If you're a beginning writer though, don't even think of publishing your novel to Amazon, Smashwords adn D2D at the moment. That's a long ways off. It's more important to hone your craft. Get feedback from other writers first. Join a critique group like Critters, Hatrack, Critters Circle or Litopia. Like the others have said, the important thing is to write, write, write. Don't wory about the technical side just yet . . .

Then again, if you prefer to write via the computer keyboard, it makes sense to begin where you're going to need to end--a program that's easily converted to ebook and paperback form. Hence, the reason you were asking in the first place. Right?

Last edited by Lima Bean; 02-02-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Lima Bean is offline   Reply With Quote