Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #15241
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next up is my latest purchase Murder Most Holy by Paul Doherty. (As opposed to pdurrant who lets 5 years pass before reading, I read all my latest buys. )

My first with this author.
Writing was competent but the story had a few "wha?" moments. The clues were obvious because they stood out like a beacon. And so much drinking! Every paragraph someone was (over)drinking wine, mead, ale and watered wine. The book has three mysteries in the plot, none connected, which I found disappointing. I won't read any more from this author. Rated C- [2 stars]. A few OCR errors that any spell check would have located.

Next is a freebie. On Basilisk Station by David Weber. Immediately, I'm disappointed. The galactic map is truncated in the prologue. At least it is on my 650. The entire map is displayed on Baen's sample online so it must be due to ebook conversion.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #15242
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
(As opposed to pdurrant who lets 5 years pass before reading, I read all my latest buys. )
Hmph. I read nearly all my purchases quite soon. It's just a few that have slipped through that I'm catching up on now...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #15243
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Cat fight! Cat fight!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #15244
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Cat fight! Cat fight!

There fighting like cats and mice aren't they?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #15245
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or cats and birds or something....
Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #15246
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I can see a book from where I'm sitting that I've had for at least 25 years, and have never read, although I still kind of want to. I might have started it once. I'm thinking of reading it this year. I don't see what the hurry is.

I've read The Gun Seller. I seem to remember that I enjoyed it, but it wasn't anything really extraordinary. I used to have a bit of a thing about reading novels by TV comedians (UK TV, I guess I should specify), and Hugh Laurie is still half of Fry and Laurie, to me. I have novels by Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, Ben Elton, Nigel Planer, Alexei Sayle, Rob Newman, David Baddiel, Sean Hughes, Ardal O'Hanlon, Adrian Edmondson, Stewart Lee, and possibly others I can't remember right now. None of them are terrible, but some of them are ordinary.

Anyway, I managed to finish Mage-Guard of Hamor by L E Modesitt Jr, finally. The fifteenth Recluce novel, apparently, and the second half of Rahl's story. Kind of like a comfortable pair of slippers. My first completed book of the year.

Next up I've started The Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie. The second Poirot novel, and first of many Christie books I bought cheaply from charity shops last year (so a used paperback, rather than an ebook). Not much has happened so far, but I don't remember any key plot details from the TV adaptation yet, so maybe I'll manage to be surprised.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #15247
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hmph. I read nearly all my purchases quite soon. It's just a few that have slipped through that I'm catching up on now...
My apologies

I got the impression you still had quite a few from 2011 and 2012 still to be read. Agatha Christie for example.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #15248
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Or cats and birds or something....
Do seagulls eat mice?

I only ever see them eat fish, sandwiches and potato chips.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #15249
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Good thought, was hoping they'd be free for prime, but no-go.

99 cents per episode.

They had a sketch comedy show too, A Bit of Fry and Laurie.

Last edited by BenG; 01-15-2013 at 12:17 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #15250
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Tony Hillerman & Dana Stabenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I've begun Hounded and right now I'm just about to start chapter 5 and instead, I'm putting it on hold. I don't like Atticus at all. But I do love the locale. However I'm beginning to think that an unlikeable protagonist set in a familiar and appreciated locale is not enough to keep my interest, since I'm not yet at all interested!.

So to stay in the general Locale I've just begun Tony Hillerman's The Wailing Wind, the 15th Leaphorn/Chee novel.

The Wailing Wind was another great Tony Hillerman Navajo Tribal Police yarn featuring Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee. I guess that I'm on a Native American kick because I decided to next read the 16th of Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak mysteries, Whisper to the Blood.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #15251
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
My apologies

I got the impression you still had quite a few from 2011 and 2012 still to be read. Agatha Christie for example.
Ah, but those I'm deliberately keeping to savour over time. I have 38 of the Agatha Christies left, and about 40 Georgette Heyers, as I bought lots when there were some very good deals on.

But I suppose about half my current TBR must be from more than a year or two ago.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-15-2013 at 02:58 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #15252
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:

Next is a freebie. On Basilisk Station by David Weber. Immediately, I'm disappointed. The galactic map is truncated in the prologue. At least it is on my 650. The entire map is displayed on Baen's sample online so it must be due to ebook conversion.
Abandoned after 50 pages. This title was not for me. Too realistic space-wise. I don't like it when due to great distances you have to wait 12 minutes for light to catch up with real-time. Star Wars and Star Trek ruined it for me. I prefer the fake physics to the actual one.

Next, I'll try Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #15253
Joan M
Did someone say Python?
Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Tablet
Quote:
There are a ton of recommendations in several threads in this section of the forum.

Three I recommend here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=25

and this is one summation of readers favorites: http://scifilists.sffjazz.com/lists_books_rank1.html
Thank you! I see I have 2 of the 3 you recommended in my treasure trove. They seem like they'd both be right up my alley.

I started reading one thread here about recommendations for SF that would appeal to women. Have found it helpful.

Now that I think about it, I recall reading a couple of SF novels that people just handed to me years ago, both of which I liked: The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner and Black Milk by Robert Reed.

Well, I've gotten side tracked. I actually came online just now to look for a recipe for chopped liver. Wrong forum.
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #15254
kennyc

John Brunner is great. - Stand on Zanzibar is a fond memory for me.
Up the Line is his time-travel novel.

oh and reading is always better than chopped liver.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #15255
widuvarg
widuvarg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I'm currently reading the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. I'm a huge fan of SF, and Asimov is one of the best authors (to me). I'm also reading End this depression now! by Paul Krugman, and have some other books on my ereader ready to be read.
widuvarg is offline   Reply With Quote