Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
New Gen3 Arrived!

After reading HarryT's review of the new Gen3 I had to get one too! I have had the original Gen3 since Christmas and loved it, except for the Nav Button which tended to be a bit loud. The center "Enter" button once woke Hubby up.

I LOVE the new Gen3, the Nav Button is very soft and responsive, the center "Enter" button is a very soft click. It came with firware 1.0 build 674 and I haven't bothered to upgrade it yet. My files all seem to work well, I haven't put any new PDF files on, but the demo ones work well. I haven't had any problems with bookmarks that others have mentioned, but then I didn't have any trouble with bookmarks on the original Gen3 either.

Hubby is trying out my original Gen3 to see if he wants one. If he likes it I'll likely order a new one and sell the original on in the "Flea Market." Is anyone interested?
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:22 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Justy,

I agree with your conclusions - the change in internal memory is no big deal (I use an SD card anyway), but the nav button changes are very worthwhile indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
CiaraG
Enthusiast
CiaraG began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I also now have a new Gen3 and overall I am delighted with it. But I'm having to charge it every 2nd day - and I'm reading less than I usually do at the moment! With the old one I only had to charge it every 10 days or so.

It was at 60% last night. I fell asleep without turning it off. Auto power off should have occurred in an hour but didn't. When I looked at it this morning it was at 10%.

Anyone else having this issue?

CiaraG.

Last edited by CiaraG; 05-30-2008 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Forgot a bit!
CiaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:45 AM   #4
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Weird... It should only consume energy when fliping pages, right? So the battery should have the same energy as when you fell asleep.

What's the firmware?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Weird... It should only consume energy when fliping pages, right? So the battery should have the same energy as when you fell asleep.
It also always consumes some energy when its ON.

But it consumes a lot more energy for flipping a page, so it makes sense to give a maximum page turn instead of a time for the capacity.
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:23 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Weird... It should only consume energy when fliping pages, right?
No, of course not. The SCREEN only consumes power when the image changes, but the CyBook is a computer - the CPU and memory are constantly consuming a small amount of power all the time that it's on.

If you leave the machine constantly switched on, the battery should last 4-5 days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaraG View Post
It was at 60% last night. I fell asleep without turning it off. Auto power off should have occurred in an hour but didn't. When I looked at it this morning it was at 10%.
I haven't noticed any faster battery drain in my new Gen3, but since it's new I would expect that it will take a while for the battery indicator to be accurate. This could be part of what you are seeing. But certainly it should last longer than 2 days on a full charge even if you leave it on all the time. As HarryT said, the Cybook typically lasts about 5 days on a full charge when not turned off.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
CiaraG
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLausPetersen View Post
It also always consumes some energy when its ON.

But it consumes a lot more energy for flipping a page, so it makes sense to give a maximum page turn instead of a time for the capacity.
Not sure what my page turn is, but I do know that I've been reading a lot less since I got the new Gen3. Was reading significantly more on the old Gen and had considerably longer battery life. Have just finished charging it again, so will note pages & length of time.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
but since it's new I would expect that it will take a while for the battery indicator to be accurate.
Sorry, what? Why would it take a while? Is it tired when you first get it?

Sounds like the person above has a bad battery and should request a new one from Bookeen support.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
CiaraG
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I haven't noticed any faster battery drain in my new Gen3, but since it's new I would expect that it will take a while for the battery indicator to be accurate. This could be part of what you are seeing. But certainly it should last longer than 2 days on a full charge even if you leave it on all the time. As HarryT said, the Cybook typically lasts about 5 days on a full charge when not turned off.
Not sure about that Justy. The old Gen3 worked perfectly after the first charge and there wasn't any 'running in' period for the battery indicator. I would imagine either the battery works or it doesn't! I think I may have just gotten a dodgy one
Old 05-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hi Justy,

I agree with your conclusions - the change in internal memory is no big deal (I use an SD card anyway), but the nav button changes are very worthwhile indeed.
I think the additional memory is useful for staging eBooks permitting larger PDF files for example. The old memory was a bit tight to be used as temporary ram if you have a big dictionary in RAM and a few other things.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
Justy
Fanatic

Quote:
Not sure about that Justy. The old Gen3 worked perfectly after the first charge and there wasn't any 'running in' period for the battery indicator. I would imagine either the battery works or it doesn't! I think I may have just gotten a dodgy one
I was (mistakenly) thinking about the %s being wrong at first, 40% after the first charge really being less. But that wouldn't account for the battery only lasting 2 days total.

Given the short amount of time you are getting out of your battery I would agree. Have you sent an email to Bookeen?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Swap batteries. If the problem moves to your old Cybook, then it's the battery.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
CiaraG
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Swap batteries. If the problem moves to your old Cybook, then it's the battery.

-Jeff
Unfortunately as I damaged the screen on my first one, that won't be possible. The new one is it's replacement. Wish that I (like Harry!) had two Cybooks!
Have fully charged once more, but will be looking for a new battery if this doesn't last any longer.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Unfortunately as I damaged the screen on my first one, that won't be possible. The new one is it's replacement. Wish that I (like Harry!) had two Cybooks!
Have fully charged once more, but will be looking for a new battery if this doesn't last any longer.
So you sent the old one back...? I'm just thinking the broken one should still have a good battery if you still have it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote