Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Apple's iReader Launch

What if tomorrow Apple launch their own iReader. Will they monopolize and throw all the competition out of business? What kind of wow factor will they include with their eReader? Do you think Apple should even make an eReader?
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Anything that can put a dent in the dominance of Amazon would be welcome. (Yes, I have a Kindle.) Though not if they take over the market themselves.

What would be their wow factor? Design, firstly. Maybe it would look like a pbook. I could imagine that being popular. The device could morph into the book you're currently reading, complete with cover art and blurb on the reverse.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Wouldn't they just need to make a white plastic eInk device with an Apple logo on the back?

;-)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Do you mean an e-ink iReader? Because the iPad has already iBooks (and many other apps).

I guess they would do a shiny black iReader, touchscreen, only compatible with iBooks. It would cost 499$ (599$ with Wi-Fi and 699$ with wiFi + 3G) and have 8GB of disk space. No USB, you would have to synchronize with iTunes.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
iTunes actually manages to be a worse piece of software than Sony's Library.

They wouldn't produce their own screen-tech, so it would be the same product as everyone else, but in a hipster-case that Apple would deem worth an extra 40% price premium.

Apple's response to product defects is to lie until Jobs is blue in the face.

They would include software that 'bricks' your device if it detects any un-DRMed files on the device.

They put a premium price on all their hardware, despite using the cheapest Chinese parts, so I suspect they would have zero appetite to enter a market that is currently undergoing an aggressive price-war.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On a slightly more serious note, wasn't there some indication that Apple may release a model somewhere between the iPod Touch and the 10" iPad:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...7-2048100.html

Quote:
Digitimes was also the source of another rumor about a 7-inch iPad. If you believe the hype, the device will ship with a Cortex-A9 processor and an IPS (in-plane switching) display with a resolution of 1024x768.
That would pretty much fit the bill as an Apple eBook reader.

Graham
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
On a slightly more serious note, wasn't there some indication that Apple may release a model somewhere between the iPod Touch and the 10" iPad:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...7-2048100.html

Graham
I'll believe it when I see it, and I don't believe Apple will ever made a dedicated reading device, personally; why would they bother? As an aside the link above reminded me - haven't all the rumours about the RIM BlackPad gone rather quiet??

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
iPad mini - but we probably won't see it until January - they're too busy selling the big guy.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
I'll believe it when I see it, and I don't believe Apple will ever made a dedicated reading device, personally; why would they bother?
I agree that Apple won't make a dedicated reading device, but the link I posted wasn't suggesting that they would, it would be a multifunction 7" device. If competitors such as Samsung seem to be making inroads with their 7" devices, I would expect Apple to follow them into that format.

Graham
Old 09-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
_If_ Apple came out with an eInk-like reader...they still wouldn't be Amazon. Amazon is the big gorilla in this space. Amazon is the one claiming to have an 80% share of the ebook market.

As it is, Apple did release an ebook reader, and placed it's bet on LCD and a multi-function device. They are being quite successful - far more successful in device sales than Amazon could dream to be.

Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Borders, Kobo and soon Sony have all supported Apple's ereader. So unlike any of the eInk readers, Apple customers can buy their ebooks from any source....including Apple's own iBooks.

Those who prefer eInk devices will, of course, not opt for this Apple ebook reader. As it turns out, a rather large part of the market either prefers the LCD technology or finds it more than good enough. eInk readers have had their day at the top and will be selling more based on price, weight and battery life than "it's the only technology people can actually read on".

Still, even as Apple puts the kindle sales to shame (and it's done that since day one) -- there's no sign that Amazon's ebook dominance is in danger in any way. Already 20% of Amazon's ebook sales goes to people who don't have a kindle at all. That percentage is only going to increase.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
Emmaleigh
Enthusiast
Emmaleigh began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
They won't release anything which would take away from iPad sales, so it's highly doubtful this would ever happen.
Emmaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaleigh View Post
They won't release anything which would take away from iPad sales, so it's highly doubtful this would ever happen.
But they'd be getting the 7" device sales instead. They may lose some 10" iPad sales to 7" purchases, but they'd also end up selling 7" devices to people who wanted Apple but wouldn't have bought a 10" iPad, due to cost or form factor.

And they'd also sell some 7" devices to people who would otherwise have bought a competitor's product rather than an iPad.

They'd end up with more people on Apple devices buying Apple content.

It might not happen, but I'm sure they'd consider it.

Graham
Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaleigh View Post
All of their devices are just derivatives of each other. What is really the difference between the ipod and ipad. They all do more or less the same things, except one might be bigger or have a few more features that the other one will get in the next product release.

I can't see them going for an e-ink display, because the device wouldnt be apple like. I think it will be a touch screen, with a nice design, and wont stop at just reading books. Will have other features like audio and video play back, apps. Which sounds just like a lot of their other devices.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Odds are that Apple *will* do a 7in iPad. They'll price it at $399 with 8GB Flash Storage.
They sell a thousand and increase iPad sales by another 10%. ;-)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I agree that Apple won't make a dedicated reading device, but the link I posted wasn't suggesting that they would...
If competitors such as Samsung seem to be making inroads with their 7" devices, I would expect Apple to follow them into that format.

Graham
No indeed; I was (clearly badly!) aiming that at the OP and the thread title, asking for our opinions on an Apple eReader - which I assume to be a dedicated device, no?

I've no doubt that Apple will produce a smaller iPad, but I'd be very surprised if it was announced as early as the New Year. Buy hey, I like surprises And an announcement that early would certainly be a 'shot across the bows' to the competitors, especially if it was priced aggressively.

As for Samsung making inroads, well, bearing in mind that you can't buy one yet, you can't order one yet, and so far it seems like they haven't even decided how much to charge for it yet, let's see how that develops - though in my opinion if they had the price nailed down to undercut the iPad significantly, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops. <shrug> We'll see.

Cheers, Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote