Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #91
grouphile
grouphile began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO H2O & PB626
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I misspoke myself in my last post. Starting with the next release (0.7.2), the first time that calibre detects that a book on the device is the same as a book in the library, calibre sends new metadata to the device. At that point, the collections for the book will be changed. Second and later attempts don't do this (for performance reasons).

If calibre does not detect that the books are the same or the 'second' caveat applies, then what I said before remains true. You will need to re-add the book. Although I don't see a firm reason for doing so, it is probably best to delete the existing copy before sending the new one.
Wonderful - thanks
One reason why erasing is a last option for me: I loose bookmarks. But one change is all I need to switch from unread to read.
I must say, the more I use calibre, the happier I am.
Phile
grouphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #92
lisa.m
Enthusiast
lisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Once again, fantastic improvements to this program. Something I've always wanted is a "read" column so that alone is worth its' weight in gold! All of the other goodies are icing on the cake.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work!
lisa.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #93
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I've seen several complaints about the slow speed of upgrading on Windows. I don't do binary upgrades very often, and when I do, I usually just start it and leave, so I haven't seen the speed. Do people really object to upgrades that take less than a 2 minutes? I though I was avoiding some big problem by running from source. Looks like the "big problem" was more of a tiny little mouse!
Well, it does take some time for reasons you already elaborated on earlier in this thread. But, at least for me, it's no big deal, and I'd rather you folks spend your time improving Calibre than messing around with the Windows installer.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #94
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
I love the new release, thanks for all the hard work!

I really like the custom columns and the new "On Device" and "In Library" columns, they are very handy.

Two "nice-to-have" features if they are easy to add would be the ability to "remove from device" on the main library screen and "add to library" from the device view.

Bob
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #95
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire

and Calibre!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #96
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I misspoke myself in my last post. Starting with the next release (0.7.2), the first time that calibre detects that a book on the device is the same as a book in the library, calibre sends new metadata to the device. At that point, the collections for the book will be changed. Second and later attempts don't do this (for performance reasons).

If calibre does not detect that the books are the same or the 'second' caveat applies, then what I said before remains true. You will need to re-add the book. Although I don't see a firm reason for doing so, it is probably best to delete the existing copy before sending the new one.
Okay, I am a bit confused here. I am using OS X and 0.6.54 combined with a sony 505. When I currently connect and change my metadata on a book in the library, usually my "unread" to "read" tag, I have to reload (not delete) the book onto my device to have that books collection tags change so that the book no longer appears in my unread collection.

From this post by Kovid, he states:

Quote:
"The only difference in 0.7 is that calibre automatically recognizes books on your device that are also in your library and updates their metadata. Most people would consider that a good thing."
which to me implies that if I change the tag in my library from "unread" to "read", then when I connect my device, the book's metadata will be changed automatically and the book will be shifted from collections appropriately without me having to reload the book onto the device.

However, several posts from other individuals and the above quoted one seems to suggest it only happens once instead of dynamically. If this is not the case where metadata can be updated "on the fly", then why would the "metadata process" need to change from 0.6 series to the 0.7 series other than there was a need to recode the whole thing for other reasons?

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but if it is, can someone take the time to clarify this for me. I guess I am wondering why the metadata would be updated only once when I thought most of us use calibre to load books to our devices which really would circumvent the whole process described above. For me, I love using the read/unread tag and having that change dynamically would be awesome.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #97
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
which to me implies that if I change the tag in my library from "unread" to "read", then when I connect my device, the book's metadata will be changed automatically and the book will be shifted from collections appropriately without me having to reload the book onto the device.
Sorry if this is a simplistic question, but how do you set up a tag for Read/Unread for application to use with multiple books? I can see how to create a single tag in metadata, but I can't seem to retain a second one.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.....

Many thanks
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia

Last edited by JBlyth; 06-08-2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Clarification
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:15 AM   #98
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Calibre (currently) changes the metadata on the device in two cases:
1) when the book is explicitly sent to the device (old)
2) the first time a book on the device is recognized by calibre as being the same as one in the library (new).

Subsequent metadata changes are not sent to the device.

It would be a nice feature to (somehow) determine that the metadata changed and resend it. We would also need to rebuild the Sony collections, which may or may not be something most people want. Regardless, I am not going to do anything about this until the performance issues with Sony devices is resolved, because sending more metadata would simply make it worse.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #99
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
thanks

Thank-you chaley for clearing that up. Not sure why calibre changed the way metadata handling was done to implement option 2, but it must be useful for other devices rather than mine since calibre is usually the program adding books to the device in the first place. Again thanks for the reply.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #100
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Well I just updated to 7 and I'm really impressed with the speed of the thing! Loading & converting & transferring to my device are so much faster now. Thanks for the great work!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #101
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlyth View Post
Sorry if this is a simplistic question, but how do you set up a tag for Read/Unread for application to use with multiple books? I can see how to create a single tag in metadata, but I can't seem to retain a second one.
Sorry, but I don't understand the question. Are you asking how to enter multiple tags? If so, then the are comma-separated. For example, entering 'Read, Terrible, Give to boss" (without the quotes) will create three separate tags.

I also suggest that questions like this go into their own thread. You will get much more response. Because of the traffic, they get lost here.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #102
Ter3
Ter3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
First let me say i love the new look in version 7.1, with the book pic on the side much better... But now for the strange problems having maybe someone can help.
I have a Sony 505 reader which takes 2 cards (memory pro stick and a SD card) and I have a card in each. On the older version 6.55 loaded books in library then when I sent them to card(s) either one, sometimes I got the symbols instead of last letter, But I was able to edit them by click on the card(where books were stored) and change them back to letters and it would update the reader. I was also able to edit the collections/tags on the cards in the reader.
After I updated to 7.1 and connected to ereader I got symbols back in the author name and titles, Now I change the author name but get an error when trying to change title that I didn't get in other version.
And ALL my collection/tags are gone on the SD card and when I load a new book w/tags the tags won't load to the SD card, but they did in older version.
Now if I load it to the Memory Pro card the tags/collections will load. I would switch all books to that card, BUT I can't edit the tags on the cards like I could before. And Even thou I edit the tags in the library sometimes the odd stuff publishes put on it get thru to the reader so I really need to be able to edit the tags cause I use them All the time.
So while I like the newer version I will have to format the disks and go back to older version .
Now I just connected it and it did it's Send Metadata to device and now I have the edited tags from collection on the discB (SD) and the ones from the publisher I got rid of in library, but they do not show up on the reader. Strange says they are there but not.
Only the tags on the books on the memory pro card are correct, so like I said I will have to go back to the older version for now.
Ter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #103
Dereks
Connoisseur
Dereks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
I noticed that now if you try to edit title of the book, that is already on the device, changes are saved in the Calibre, but not on the device. I remember previously it did work, i am not sure after which version this happened, but currently i am using 0.7.2
Dereks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #104
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereks View Post
I noticed that now if you try to edit title of the book, that is already on the device, changes are saved in the Calibre, but not on the device. I remember previously it did work, i am not sure after which version this happened, but currently i am using 0.7.2
That is how it has always been in 0.6.xx versions. Previously in order to change the book on my device I would delete the book from my device and resend it. I don't know if this changed in 0.7.xx.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #105
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Just updated source about 5 minutes ago. Running Vista, it fails to start. Calibre-debug -g messages below. It shows the initial flash screen, that disappears, then nothing. Task manager says it's running with a few parallel processes. Dropping back to the binary 7.2 works, as does source from 2 days ago.
Code:
Starting up...
link  hasn't been detected!
link  hasn't been detected!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Util\Calibre2\src\src\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 249, in initialize
    self.initialize_db()
  File "C:\Util\Calibre2\src\src\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 229, in initialize_
db
    self.initialize_db_stage2(db, None)
  File "C:\Util\Calibre2\src\src\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 198, in initialize_
db_stage2
    self.start_gui()
  File "C:\Util\Calibre2\src\src\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 153, in start_gui
    main.initialize(self.library_path, self.db, self.listener, self.actions)
  File "C:\Util\Calibre2\src\src\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 133, in initialize
    LayoutMixin.__init__(self)
  File "C:\Util\Calibre2\src\src\calibre\gui2\init.py", line 363, in __init__
    from calibre.gui2.status import StatusBar
  File "C:\Util\Calibre2\src\src\calibre\gui2\status.py", line 17, in <module>
    from calibre.gui2.book_details import render_rows
ImportError: No module named book_details
Ticket #5819

Last edited by Starson17; 06-13-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0.7.0, calibre, new release