Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #151
harikamboji
harikamboji began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox
I'm also trying to get Briss to work on a mac. Same issue as previous posters. Double clicking the file briss-0.0.11.jar results in nothing happening. Opening from within the terminal gives the above listed errors.

Note that you can use the Preview application to crop pdfs, but it increases the file size. This is mainly the reason I'm interested in Briss.

Thanks!
harikamboji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #152
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Upgrading to Snow Leopard (10.4) made it rock and roll. I guess it just needs that current version of Java.
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #153
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi harikamboji!

BRISS doesn't work with java 1.5. If it is somehow possible for you to upgrade to java 6 I would suggest you to do so, otherwise I can't guarantee that you are going to be able to use BRISS in the near future...

greetings,
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #154
harikamboji
harikamboji began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox
Thanks laborg. Turns out my mac running leopard had Java 1.6 installed but it was set to run Java 1.5 by default. I had to change the order of the versions using "Java preferences" from the Utilities folder. Now it works! This page was very helpful:
http://www.javatester.org/version.html

Anyhow, as many people have undoubtedly told you, Briss is fantastic. Great idea superimposing all the even pages and odd pages against each other. Awesome!!
harikamboji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #155
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Is there a way to NOT superimpose all the pages and/or examine each page of a multi-page document?
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #156
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
Is there a way to NOT superimpose all the pages and/or examine each page of a multi-page document?
Easy one! From briss 0.0.11 version, you can exclude pages from being superimposed. If you want pages not to be superimposed, add all pages when it asks the dialog after loading PDF.

Well, you can copy paste the numbers upto required from attachment.(to save you from typing)
List_Of_Numbers_Upto_500.txt

Last edited by Nexutix; 10-19-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: file attached.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #157
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsaurabhr View Post
Easy one! From briss 0.0.11 version, you can exclude pages from being superimposed. If you want pages not to be superimposed, add all pages when it asks the dialog after loading PDF.

Well, you can copy paste the numbers upto required from attachment.(to save you from typing)
Attachment 59950
I thought you could type "1-500".

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #158
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I thought you could type "1-500".

Andrew
You can, but think if you want to drop more than 10 pages which are not in a sequence, then you could do it fast:

1. Know which are to be dropped.
2. Paste this strip.
3. Delete unwanted pages.

Now if I do like waht you say, you will have to form the "X-Y" phrases and type them all in. It will take more time; won't it? Pressing delete 10 times is lot easier.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #159
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I just tried Briss and I must say it is a wonderful piece of software. It really helps in reading PDF's on my 6" Kindle 3. Thank you so much for this.
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #160
theduder
theduder began at the beginning.

Device: None
Post Cropped pages not same width

I'm trying to crop the even and odd pages of my book to be the same size. I drew two rectangles in BRISS, selected both of them and then clicked the maximize height, then maximize width buttons.

The resulting crop regions look the same (see http://i.imgur.com/K6Cm6.png), but the even and odd pages in the output PDF have slightly different widths (maybe also heights, see http://i.imgur.com/WZFnu.png).

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
theduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #161
seol1500
seol1500 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for a great great programme!

I would like to make few suggestions to make this beautiful program even better ;
some E-books I own, have different format on some of the pages i.e. when it has diagrams, pictures, or in a new chapter.

They tend to occupy much more margin than any other pages therefore, when I make all the selected rectangles same width/height, normal pages looks too small in Kindle 3. While inputting exclusion pages numbers could solve this problem, it arises another problem by having me to know all the page numbers. This is especially difficult to solve when book is >=500 pages long.

So I believe by implementing some AI would solve this problem nicely, these are the two methods you could consider :

First method:
When input file is given, BRISS automatically analyses all the pages, and separates them.
con
1. Loading problem, could be avoided if BRISS asks the user about this option beforehand.
2. Cannot exclude some regions such as page number - this tends to be near the far front/end of the page. Resulting some anomalies.

Second method:
User loads up input file and draw two boxes (A) region you want to crop, (B) region you want to exclude BRISS to analyse. Then BRISS find any texts/colours outside the region (A) excluding the ones in (B) and separate those pages into new ones. User repeats until no pages left.
con.
This feature might also requires 'undo' function.

Finally include batch processing option so that user could open multiple PDF files to crop and save them separately.

Thanks again for a great program, I owe you a lot (saves time & money)
Would you ever consider putting a donation page, I would definitely support you.
Chris.

Last edited by seol1500; 10-27-2010 at 09:22 PM.
seol1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #162
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
laborg, I love the 'exclude from merging' feature in 0.11.

One feature suggestion related to the excluded pages: It would be nice to be able to tell BRISS to merge certain excluded pages as its own cluster. For example, let's say I exclude the following pages: cover, copyright page, table of contents (can be multiple pages for large books), chapter title pages, glossary pages.

Currently BRISS will show each of the excluded pages separately, and that requires a lot of cropping. It would be great if we could tell BRISS to merge certain pages as its own cluster. So we could have a table of contents cluster, a chapter title cluster, a glossary cluster, etc. This would dramatically reduce the cropping (i.e., box drawing) required. And of course BRISS is already set up to auto merge all non-excluded pages, so that part would remain unaffected.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:07 AM   #163
Nexutix
Reading and reading

Where are attached builds? I can't get briss running from the zip downloaded from sourceforge. How do I run briss from that zip in windows? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:05 AM   #164
Nexutix
Reading and reading

Old 10-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #165
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
There may be other ways, but I've unzipped the .zip, placed the directory in "C:\Program Fiiles" and added a bat file RunBriss.bat, containing just one line.
Code:
java -jar briss-0.0.11.jar
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cropping pdf, pdf