Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Mobile Mason
Resident Anglophile
Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
What Exactly Should I Write About While In Israel?

I'm going to be living in Israel on a six month long vacation. While I'm there, I want to have a go at writing an ebook. Problem is, I'm having a hard time deciding whether to write on the life of Israeli Arabs living in East Jerusalem, or on my own experiences in Israel. I'm going to have absolutely no distractions or responsibilities, besides a 2-hour Hebrew class once a week. This gives me a lot of opportunities to wander around the world's holiest city. Dreaming in the cafés, listening to Hebrew poetry...my mind is wandering.

I really do need help deciding, I can't make up my own mind.

Last edited by Mobile Mason; 11-21-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Mobile Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I would keep a diary/notebook of my own observations, including any which feature the conditions of arab people in East Jerusalem and elsewhere.
After a while, this might prompt ideas for articles, short stories or works in other genres. Sometimes one has to capture the impressions first, then let them gel into a definite form.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Mobile Mason
Resident Anglophile
Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

So maybe just keep a notebook of interesting things that I see, and then see where that leads?
Old 11-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Well, that's what I'd do. Then you're free to be open to all the new impressions without forcing them into a particular format.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Mason View Post
So maybe just keep a notebook of interesting things that I see, and then see where that leads?
You have a rare opportunity here.

Write what you see.... not just interesting things, the day to day things that happen, good and bad.

Write every day......write down everything you can, about everything you see.

Then come back and tell us about it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I think all of the suggestions so far have been excellent. I would also be on the lookout for individuals who are seeking to promote harmony and co-existence between Arabs, Jews, and Palistinians in ways big and small.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Mobile Mason
Resident Anglophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think all of the suggestions so far have been excellent. I would also be on the lookout for individuals who are seeking to promote harmony and co-existence between Arabs, Jews, and Palistinians in ways big and small.
I'm glad you touched in on the fact that there are differences between being Palestinian and Israeli Arab, because there are in fact many Arabs who wish to stay Israeli, and have no connection to the Palestinian cause.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
In addition to your observations of daily living, I would make note of those aspects of Israel (and government policy) that would come as a surprise to Americans.

For example, I recently learned that white slavery is legal provided that the women are not Jewish. And the restrictions of what are allowed to enter Gaza are so strict, that some foods are prohibited which the government considers to be minimum requirements for children.

I can't believe that the Israeli government would enjoy the support among American Jews it enjoys if the Americans knew everything that is going on. There are two sides to every story, and the American press only reports one side. I would like to know the other side as well.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
In addition to your observations of daily living, I would make note of those aspects of Israel (and government policy) that would come as a surprise to Americans.

For example, I recently learned that white slavery is legal provided that the women are not Jewish. And the restrictions of what are allowed to enter Gaza are so strict, that some foods are prohibited which the government considers to be minimum requirements for children.

I can't believe that the Israeli government would enjoy the support among American Jews it enjoys if the Americans knew everything that is going on. There are two sides to every story, and the American press only reports one side. I would like to know the other side as well.
It would be nice if you would post references to where you got your "facts".
Old 11-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
It would be nice if you would post references to where you got your "facts".
I have read both of these items recently in Culture Wars Magazine.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I have read both of these items recently in Culture Wars Magazine.
Edited.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 11-22-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #12
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Write about your experience while in Israel - all things big and small. Just your observation of daily life would be interesting. You have a great opportunity here, so please share it with us.

I'd be interesting to see if you point of view will change in the 6 months you spend there, i.e. things you perceive to be one way atm - will that change? what will change? and why?

Good luck on your journey . I hope you enjoy it immensly
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Edited.
why???
Old 11-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
why???
Written in anger - not entirely sure of facts (but pretty sure!).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Written in anger - not entirely sure of facts (but pretty sure!).
Did you go to the magazine? How about this article

http://www.culturewars.com/2009/O%27Connell.htm

GARussels post was racist and inflammatory, and will not be condoned.

By me, anyway.