Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
lizzybeth05
lizzybeth05 began at the beginning.

Device: none
any tips for Ebooks on a MAC computer?

I am seriously considering switching to a MAC computer but one of my concerns is the use of ebooks.

I am currently working with a sony 505 but I typically purchase mircrosoft reader books and use convertLIT to remove the drm and calibre to convert to a usable format. I am also in the process of learning how to use MobiDeDRM in order to be able to convert .mobi books as well.

I do this because I don’t want to be stuck with book formats that are limited to a few devices. (but I do purchase all my books -- no pirating going on)

Will these programs/device work with a MAC computer? Now, I am pretty confident that .lit books wont work with a mac (seeing as it is a Microsoft product) but what about MobiDeDRM? And what about calibre? And Sony 505?

If they don’t work, is there a MAC version of the programs, or any other programs out there that are intended for MACs?

Also, I checked sony’s website, and it looks like there software is not compatible with MACs, does anyone know of a software that will work on MACs that can be used to load the books onto the sony reader?...I use calibre on my pc, will that work with MACs?

~Thanks in advance!

PS. I would like to apologize if this is an inappropriate forum for this thread. I couldn’t find a good place to post it.
lizzybeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre certainly works on the Mac as well as all the little tools inside it (rtf2lrf etc). You can also have a look at Stanza which is a nice Mac desktop software ereader.

At the moment, the Sony software is PC-only, but Calibre does a fine job of filling this gap.

If you are buying books in eReader Secure from Fictionwise, there are ways (which are discissed elsewhere) of stripping the DRM leaving you with a .html version that you can then edit or re-convert to lrf.

I have had my 505 for only a couple of weeks, but free ebooks, Fictionwise and Baen Webscriptions have given me plenty to read.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You can't download microsoft reader books on a Mac (well, without running windows in emulation or bootcamp), as they require Internet Explorer on Windows to download.

You can run MobiDeDRM on a Mac. Python comes pre-installed. And there are some neat AppleScript around that make it a drag&drop process.

Calibre works very well on a Mac, and will let you convert lit and mobipocket books to LRF format and then load on to your Sony.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
flowoeB
E-Reader Sammler
flowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheese

Device: plenty...
I'm a mac user too. I do most of my e-book related works using osx (calibre, etc) but some tasks (mobipocket creator, etc) are better done under XP (I use parallels desktop to emulate a pc - it's cheap and you can always get a cheap windows XP on ebay)... best of both worlds
flowoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
lizzybeth05

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowoeB View Post
I'm a mac user too. I do most of my e-book related works using osx (calibre, etc) but some tasks (mobipocket creator, etc) are better done under XP (I use parallels desktop to emulate a pc - it's cheap and you can always get a cheap windows XP on ebay)... best of both worlds
flowoeB, I actually have a fully legit copy of windows xp pro that i dont even have installed on my current comp, so using the software to emulate a pc is a good idea....thanks for the idea. I will definitely keep that in mind.

One question, is it possible to use windows to download .lit books or .mobi books and then save them on the osx side of the hard drive?...if so, do you have to strip the drm prior to saving on the osx side.

PS. I am novice at this, so if this is a dumb question, I apoligize. I'm not sure i fully understand what it means to partition the HD and run osx and windows on different sides.
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
In parallels, and probably the other emulators, you can see all the hard drive so you can convert in XP and immediately work with it in OSX.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
lizzybeth05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
In parallels, and probably the other emulators, you can see all the hard drive so you can convert in XP and immediately work with it in OSX.
pthwaite, Do you have a mac computer and do you actually use parallels?

I ask because I actually went by the Apple store today (i booked a time with a personal shopper) and the sales associate told me that it was not possible to save a file from within windows to the mac side of the HD. I realize that it is possible that the sales associate was mistaken, but i just want to be sure.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Lizybeth, I have a Mac, 2 in fact, and I run parallels. I generally just copy a file in parallels and then paste into the Mac folder I'm working with but, just dropping things to the desktop is quicker. Both parallel and the mac will see the same desktop and folders if you set it up that way.
Regards, Howard
Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
lizzybeth05

Howard, thanks for your reply! Its good to know it can be set up that way!

Thanks!!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic

Lizzybeth, there is an option when you set it up that allows you to see/share files in both "computers" If you get stuck PM me
Old 06-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do not use an emulated or virtual Windows to flash your Reader as you might brick it. Use a real Windows system to flash.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
lizzybeth05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do not use an emulated or virtual Windows to flash your Reader as you might brick it. Use a real Windows system to flash.
JSWolf:
I have a few questions:
- I am not familure with the terms "flash" and "brick it". Could you please clarify?

- when you say "Use a real Windows system to flash" Do you mean only use a PC, or do you think using bootcamp is ok?
to use boot camp, you have to partition the HD, and then format part of the HD for windows...so i think that this is different from emulating...but im not sure

Thanks

Last edited by lizzybeth05; 06-29-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
pthwaite
Fanatic

"Flash" means to install a new reader firmware in this case. Usually as a result of the manufacturer updating something or to fix a bug.
"brick" describes the use of a reader when the "Flashing" process goes belly up and you can no longer use your reader as a functioning device.

There have apparently been issues with "flashing" the Sony reader when using emulation packages such as parallels and so the suggestion is to only "flash" the device , if it ever needs it, from a dedicated Windows PC. At this stage anyway.

For normal use, ie reading/registering and transferring books it doesn't matter.

Howard