Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Change K3 serial number and mac address.

I've managed how to change K3 serial number and mac. Could this be somehow helpful ?
If someone did this earlier, please say so, if not I can post some instruction, but also please consider that this is illegal.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
I've managed how to change K3 serial number and mac. Could this be somehow helpful ?
If someone did this earlier, please say so, if not I can post some instruction, but also please consider that this is illegal.
Yes, idme was discussed in the 3.2.1 jailbreak thread. I found that it's useful in disabling/enabling ads. I got my kindle DX to see ads. I also discovered that using 3.x on older kindles require a serial change to see active content. I don't think it's illegal, unless you have a stolen kindle, but even then, you still need a valid serial number.
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 03:07 AM   #3
linshi
Enthusiast
linshi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Please write the instructions. Thanks a lot!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
This would not be the kind of information that it would be appropriate to post to MobileRead.

Thank you.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
dhruvbhutani
dhruvbhutani began at the beginning.

Device: dhruvbhutani
Actually i'd love instructions for this. My friend is allowed only one MAC address to be registered on his hostel wifi network so cannot take his Kindle online. He'd be delighted to find that there is a solution.
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
I am guessing it is the changing of the serial number part that is not allowed on the forums, rather than spoofing of the MAC address.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Guess, I'm not allowed to post instructions for both serial and mac changing, because they're in the same tool. So if I post tut on how to change mac it will become obvious how to change sn.

Sorry
Old 06-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
I was going to post how to spoof the MAC temporarily via ifconfig, but the Kindle version of this command doesn't seem to do this.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Treah
Member Retired
Treah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdgarris View Post
I was going to post how to spoof the MAC temporarily via ifconfig, but the Kindle version of this command doesn't seem to do this.
I think it needs to be enabled in the kernel or its possible that the ifconfig command is being run from busybox.... if the kindle is even using that.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
smxfqh
smxfqh began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE 3
Today I changed my kindle3 sn successful by using idme command but
after I changed sn, the wifi MAC address seemd to be unavailable,does anyone know how to change k3's wifi MAC address?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:11 AM   #11
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
@smxfqh, Reset to factory defaults will fix this problem.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #12
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Deleted!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 06-15-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treah View Post
I think it needs to be enabled in the kernel or its possible that the ifconfig command is being run from busybox.... if the kindle is even using that.
Whenever in doubt with a *nix system, remember that the man(ual) command is your friend.
If you don't have a *nix system with the full set of manuals, web search engines recognize it.
Try:
http://linux.die.net/man/

For this thread, try:
man ethtool
http://linux.die.net/man/8/ethtool
man iwconfig
http://linux.die.net/man/8/iwconfig

* Kernel option? No, it comes with the network stack, unless you built the kernel without networking.

* An incomplete version of the command? In some cases, Maybe.

Also keep in mind that it is possible for the ethernet frame to indicate if the MAC being used is the factory unique value, as in:

Code:
Frame 874 (66 bytes on wire, 66 bytes captured)
Ethernet II, Src: Siara_10:1f:c0 (00:30:88:10:1f:c0), Dst: AsustekC_0e:88:0d (00:1e:8c:0e:88:0d)
    Destination: AsustekC_0e:88:0d (00:1e:8c:0e:88:0d)
        Address: AsustekC_0e:88:0d (00:1e:8c:0e:88:0d)
        .... ...0 .... .... .... .... = IG bit: Individual address (unicast)
        .... ..0. .... .... .... .... = LG bit: Globally unique address (factory default)
    Source: Siara_10:1f:c0 (00:30:88:10:1f:c0)
        Address: Siara_10:1f:c0 (00:30:88:10:1f:c0)
        .... ...0 .... .... .... .... = IG bit: Individual address (unicast)
        .... ..0. .... .... .... .... = LG bit: Globally unique address (factory default)
    Type: IP (0x0800)
The reason for that bit is because anything that "looks" like an Ethernet interface may have from 2 to 16 MAC address registers.

So if you don't want your interface to annouce itself as Kindle_bb:aa:dd or whatever...
Play with it, you can only break your own networking.

Keeping in mind, that your automagic IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are generated from the MAC address - you may have to compensate for the change in those when changing your MAC address.

PS: The USB interface, when in Mass Storage mode (at least) identifies itself with the Kindle serial number.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #14
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This would not be the kind of information that it would be appropriate to post to MobileRead.

Thank you.
There isn't anything illegal about changing the serial number of a motherboard, it's just that Amazon chooses not to support it because they'd rather sell you a new device than have you repair an old one. As far as illegalities go, removing the DRM from protected eBooks is a lot more "illegal" than changing the serial number of a Kindle motherboard.

If I'm wrong, quote me the law.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
ShalaMala
ShalaMala began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
My Kindle Keyboard 3G has been blacklisted from Amazon. As they don't sell this item anymore and I was occasionally enjoying the free internet on my trips to foreign countries, I decided to resolve the issue my way. I purchased a used motherboard with SIM on eBay and swapped the SIM cards, but Kindle doesn't register. So I found out maybe Amazon doesn't blacklist just the SIM, but also the MAC or serial - who knows?

I was searching over the internet for a solution and found this post. I didn't find any other instructions elsewhere and as I'm not so tech-savvy to change the MAC address myself I would ask somebody for help.

As I read here, the procedure isn't illegal, so I'm wondering why the instructions were not posted here. If you can not post them here, could you at least point me to a page with instructions or PM them to me?
Closed Thread