Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #316
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
Oh yeah my T1 and Aura HD are both white so I don't think the check illusion was going on. Maybe that's why I think the Aura looks better than the PW though.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #317
beckybug3
Enthusiast
beckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Touch, a dead Kobo Aura HD, and a dead Kobo Wifi
Thank you David!

Adjusting the light timer and learning the trick with the library number thing will both make my reading much more enjoyable!
beckybug3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #318
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Spoiler:

To show different eink screen

The kobo 2012 glo I have not in picture is even clearer than the kindle

There are of my darker club still 2013 glo Glo

I showed with help of software the different background not to say it is because kindle is black, kobo is white.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-11-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: images mess up MobileRead's horizontal screen
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:01 AM   #319
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

I don't get it. They're both pointing to the same band of colour and it looks like the bottom half the kindle arrow is pointing to is whiter.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #320
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
I don't get it. They're both pointing to the same band of colour and it looks like the bottom half the kindle arrow is pointing to is whiter.
I think gouni created the circle, with the top part in the same colour as the glo 2013 version, and the bottom part in the same colour as the glo 2012/Kindle 4 versions.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #321
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I think gouni created the circle, with the top part in the same colour as the glo 2013 version, and the bottom part in the same colour as the glo 2012/Kindle 4 versions.
Yes that's it

It is a software that allows to compare colors.

This test is done with the Sun.

One important thing.

The 2013 glo kobo which is very dark, has lighting more pleasant than the Kobo from 2012.
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #322
guitarizt
Connoisseur

I'm not the most visual person, but the bottom circle with the older devices looks whiter to me.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #323
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Touch and Aura side by side:

Aura text close-up

Touch text close-up:

Side by side, Aura screen appears slightly darker:

Inset from Aura (right) copied on top of Touch screen (left), gamma adjusted to emphasize the difference.

Attempt to show white/black border illusion:

but I don't think it really works in this context.

Last edited by FJames; 05-12-2013 at 12:49 AM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #324
guitarizt
Connoisseur

Thanks. That shows what I suspected between my white T1 and white Aura. The text on the Aura seems darker with better contrast. I wasn't sure if it was a placebo before, and I doubt I would be able to accurately guess if I was looking at my T1 or Aura in a blind test with a high degree of accuracy. I get headaches with the T1 and not with the Aura, but that could be due to placebo as well. Whatever it is is working so I'll take the blue pill.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #325
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
For those with the black (I refuse to use Onyx) Aura, how is the fingerprint situation?
Nothing that Windex can't take care of..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #326
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I bought some books this weekend and when I did a sync of my Aura, seeing if it would download the 2.5.2 update, the device automatically downloaded the books without asking. Is there a way to stop it from doing this? I'd rather that I been the one to decide if something gets downloaded or not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #327
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I bought some books this weekend and when I did a sync of my Aura, seeing if it would download the 2.5.2 update, the device automatically downloaded the books without asking. Is there a way to stop it from doing this? I'd rather that I been the one to decide if something gets downloaded or not.
On the kobobooks web site you can delete the books from your library and then they will sit in the trash folder and will not sync to your device (just undelete them any time you want them back in your "I'm reading" list). Not exactly intuitive but it does work.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #328
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
On the kobobooks web site you can delete the books from your library and then they will sit in the trash folder and will not sync to your device (just undelete them any time you want them back in your "I'm reading" list). Not exactly intuitive but it does work.
Yeah, I know about that but I don't want to have to go in and "delete" stuff right after I purchase it every single time. I was hoping there was a setting I was missing somewhere.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #329
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question ... but can someone please confirm if Kobo Aura does have landscape mode for regular ePub books?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #330
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
None of the Kobo devices do landscape for epubs. They only do it for PDF and CBR/CBZ.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote