Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #181
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Excellent, having a local warehouse helps.
It does before last year everything came from KY or GA now we have a warehouse in Chattanooga. The last three orders from prime have all come the next day shipped.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #182
Ghiizhar
Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Paperwhite 4g, no adds + Fire 8.9 64gb 4g for me.

Just sold old Fire, Playbook, and Touch to help with purchase price.....
Ghiizhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #183
flowerprint
flowerprint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Trying to get my paper white in stores when I travel to California in 3 week's time for holidays. I'm from Asia, so hope to get one in the stores! Any idea which store can I get?
flowerprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #184
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
KPW 3G for me (might have already said that).

Not planning a Fire purchase this year.

Is there any reason Amazon won't have a software update to the Fire 1.0 to add (for example) Immersion Reading, FreeTime, etc.? Surely they don't want people to throw them in a drawer...

Also it appears Kindle Touch is now in last place in some respects: no KF8 fixed-layout support or the parental controls. Hope there's at least one more update coming.

The product page for Fire has a rather bad error (still has only 8GB, unless THAT is an error):
"All new - 40% faster performance, twice the memory, longer battery life"
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #185
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm tempted by the Paperwhite. I don't really need a new ebook reader, and I am more than happy with my Sony, but I've been thinking about getting a Kindle as a backup reader for a while and the added contrast and resolution is very tempting. The lighted screen would be a bonus.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #186
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
KPW 3G for me (might have already said that).

Not planning a Fire purchase this year.

Is there any reason Amazon won't have a software update to the Fire 1.0 to add (for example) Immersion Reading, FreeTime, etc.? Surely they don't want people to throw them in a drawer...

Also it appears Kindle Touch is now in last place in some respects: no KF8 fixed-layout support or the parental controls. Hope there's at least one more update coming.

The product page for Fire has a rather bad error (still has only 8GB, unless THAT is an error):
"All new - 40% faster performance, twice the memory, longer battery life"
No, it's not an error as far as I know, I believe they doubled the RAM to 1GB from 512MB - twice the memory, not twice the storage.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #187
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
No, it's not an error as far as I know, I believe they doubled the RAM to 1GB from 512MB - twice the memory, not twice the storage.
Oh, right.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #188
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
same as the number of iPads: zero.

perhaps next year I'll take a paperwhite or the damn affordable basic pearl model
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #189
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Well, my stepdaughter was over for a long overdue visit today. I discovered that the first reader I ever gave her bit it. So, as soon as I can, I plan to buy her a Kindle 4 when it comes around here. Probably before Christmas. She, too, expressed a STRONG preference for non-touch screens.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #190
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
As Amazon has dropped Audio features and TTS, Paperwhite is a No No for me. I'll stick with my Kindle Touch.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #191
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Well, my stepdaughter was over for a long overdue visit today. I discovered that the first reader I ever gave her bit it. So, as soon as I can, I plan to buy her a Kindle 4 when it comes around here. Probably before Christmas. She, too, expressed a STRONG preference for non-touch screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
As Amazon has dropped Audio features and TTS, Paperwhite is a No No for me. I'll stick with my Kindle Touch.
Yup. No TTS is the deal-breaker. No buttons keeps me from being sad about it.

Holding close to my precious K33G with trusty Mighty Bright Travelflex as a reader/light, and to my sweet new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for that and other stuff.

The Paperwhite looks very nice, otherwise.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #192
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Well I must think I'm rich. I've already ordered a KPW 3G and the 8.9 inch Fire HD 32GB. I had a 7 inch Fire previously and really loved the size (easy to carry in my purse). So I've been debating with myself on whether I should go stay with the 8.9 inch or get the new 7 inch.

Someone mentioned to me that today is the last day to place orders with amazon and not get charged sales tax in California. So, I've ordered the 7 inch Fire HD 16 GB and cover as well. When the 8.9 arrives in November, I'll take full advantage of the 30 day trial. If I like the 7 inch better, I'll return I'll return the 8.9. If I like the 8.9 better I'll sell the 7 inch (or maybe keep them both, I've been selling some older tech to justify my purchases).

So many choices.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #193
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The entire video of the conference is on youtube....someone posted a link on mobilread somewhere, and I think I saw it on techcrunch, too.

I agree with you, I really wanted that feature. I hope it's customizable, like how many to display per grid.

Think of how useful that will be to perusing one's archives! Assuming doing so doesn't completely bog down the device. I'll be testing that out. My archive is 5153 at the moment.
The paperwhites and all the new Kindle Fires come with the 'large archive fix' already in place - they cut off access to prevent blowing up the devices (according to Amazon support, at around 5K or so items). If you are over the limit, they only show the latest titles (rather than oldest, as all previous versions did).

It's pretty useless, anyway, unless you know the exact title or author you are looking for - no device since the original Kindle has sorted the archive by date.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #194
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
The paperwhites and all the new Kindle Fires come with the 'large archive fix' already in place - they cut off access to prevent blowing up the devices (according to Amazon support, at around 5K or so items). If you are over the limit, they only show the latest titles (rather than oldest, as all previous versions did).

It's pretty useless, anyway, unless you know the exact title or author you are looking for - no device since the original Kindle has sorted the archive by date.
Without decent cataloging capability no device or cloud will function well with hundreds of items, much less thousands. That is why it astonishes me that some people insist on installing a huge library on a device which can not adequately catalog them. Try going to a library without card files and where all the books are randomly placed on shelves. You might be there a while looking for that one book you need. At least the KPW, unlike the Fires, has Collections. But you really need more cataloging than simple one-tier collections when you have hundreds or more of books loaded.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #195
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
It's all part of a general move to queries rather than browsing as the model for finding files. Search-based navigation doesn't need things like collections. Unfortunately, those of us who prefer navigating hierarchies are finding ourselves more and more out of place.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote