Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Question...

Has anyone begun to think of their Kindle as an e-library, not ebook reader? It may sound a little goofy, but I am beginning to feel that way.

I don't think e-library really fits. Does anyone have a better idea?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think of the Kindle as an electronic gadget. I think of the 505 as an electronic book reader.

An electronic library would be something I setup on my computer with a good program as the front end to manage the ebooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I have a bit. I don't think of it as a "gadget" at all. (Jon - Do you own one?) People make a huge deal out of the Internet access, but really that's more a means to the end of getting content and doing the occasional Wikipedia search. It's not suited for web surfing. It's suited for reading. My smartphone is way better for my "gadget" needs. The only thing that keeps the Kindle from fully seeming like a library is the lack of ability to organize content better. As it is now, I think of it more like a bookcase. At least it's sortable, which is one up on my bookcases, but I don't think I'll endeavor to fill my SD card until I can actually group things into categories.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I think of it as a magic book that could become any e-book I owned, and any e-book I wanted to buy from Amazon. "Library" is not quite the right word for that--I guess a combination of "bookshelf" and "bookstore" comes closest.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
After getting my forth or so purchased book on it, it did occur to me that "library" was a better term for it than "book", yeah.

Library may be a bit of a stretch, but "book" is way too singular to describe it. It happens to look like a book though. There's definitely room here for some new clever terminology (or at least marketing-speak).

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Zoot, Have to disagree with you... I think the 500/505/Gen3 look more like books then the Kindle. The Kindle looks more like some sort of hand held game.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I can see why that might be your impression of the look but I think us Kindle users are thinking more in terms of the experience of using them.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I can see why that might be your impression of the look but I think us Kindle users are thinking more in terms of the experience of using them.
Well, in terms of use, then I would say all the eink readers are about the same once content is loaded.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I meant only that it looks like a single book rather than a pile of books. No comment on the relative bookishness of the Kindle vs. the competition

I'm sure someone somewhere has already "modded" one of the readers into a hollowed-out real book, etc.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, in terms of use, then I would say all the eink readers are about the same once content is loaded.
I think this is where the content organization capabilities would really differentiate. This is why I said it was somewhere between a bookcase and a library to me. A library is organized. It's sortable and searchable which really helps, but I'd like to be able to go to a category and browse. I REALLY hope they add subfolders or something in upcoming firmware. I only have a couple hundred titles on this thing and it's already unwieldy.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Heh I am carrying around a 505 (which is full) and a Kindle. I switch between the two depending on which one has the book I want to read.

Kindle's software is, IMHO, more library-like than Sony's (but then I happen to think that Sony's software just really bites...).

The Sony is easier to carry around though, because it fits in my purse (the Kindle is too big).

They're both libraries to me though. I love them!!

I found a battery backup charger at Gomadic.com...it has interchangeable tips, and they have tips that fit each device, so I don't even need to worry about dead batteries. It t akes 4 AA batteries and recharges them as needed, even if I am reading at the same time.

It also works for my iPod and my Archos 605 WiFi (who's a gadget freak? Moi????) so I am all set 8-)

Someone please tell me why I feel compelled to have all this portable electronic gadgetry? I never actually *go* anywhere...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Gadget / device / gizmo / gear / stuff / its all rock 'n roll to me.

I have a Sony 500 and think of it as a portable library. Just selections from a larger stockpile somewhere else. Quite like just the stuff I need for this trip or this week.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think this is where the content organization capabilities would really differentiate. This is why I said it was somewhere between a bookcase and a library to me. A library is organized. It's sortable and searchable which really helps, but I'd like to be able to go to a category and browse. I REALLY hope they add subfolders or something in upcoming firmware. I only have a couple hundred titles on this thing and it's already unwieldy.
Without categories it is much less than a library. Maybe it is a bookshelf. That is the model my ebookwise emulates and it does support categories. It draws a little bookshelf on the top of the manager and shows me how much room I have left on the shelf for books.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote