Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #76
mohawk
Enthusiast
mohawk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet, Tried the Fire, Currently, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
Oh, I don't know about that. Even the most archaic of us old timers know how to get a C prompt and enter input on the CMD line. Definitely not as easy as the original method but still possible to load all those apps everyone is claiming are not available now with the upgrade.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #77
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I DO know about that. As one of those "old-timers", d**ned if I'm going to jump through all those hoops just to load an app I can obtain from the Market with another vendor's tablet.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #78
mohawk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
I DO know about that. As one of those "old-timers", d**ned if I'm going to jump through all those hoops just to load an app I can obtain from the Market with another vendor's tablet.
makes perfect sense that some will find it tedious and others will load the apps they need and move on.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #79
boren
boren began at the beginning.

Device: none
Only to find these apps broken with the next firmware update...
boren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #80
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Lol, I just got one of these for Christmas, despite the fact that I have a Fire. But, I'm keeping it- it's a nice piece of machinery and I may root it.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #81
mohawk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boren View Post
Only to find these apps broken with the next firmware update...
The most recent firmware upgrade didn't break any apps. It just plugged the hole for adding new ones. It only took 4 days for the local devs to figure a work around.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #82
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Hmm....since there is only a handful of apps that I would use on it, this might be a way to get it to work.

The question is now...how easy are the apps to access...I actually like the stock reader, I just want to put my books in the "my files/books" folder to have them show up in the library if I download them from my dropbox cloud. And with support for CBR/CBZ files, I don't think I'd need Perfect Viewer anymore, so maybe just Astro or Root Explorer and I'll be golden!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #83
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
All you have to do to keep sideloading is roll back to 1.4.0, root, replace the device manager, stopping future OTA updates.

I'm not exactly thrilled with B&N either, and the prospects for things like CM, USB host and even microphone access are in doubt -- as well, those of us who cling to 1.4.0 will miss out on bug fixes, but this is a very good tab at a very nice price. Some folks focus on the storage and sd card advantage on Fire v. NT, but the killer spec is the ram. A year from now, I'm not going to feel a memory pinch. I'd be less certain with half the RAM.

If USB host (read: keyboard) makes the cut down the road, I'll feel pretty happy. Vote for it at the B&N forums here.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #84
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Also clinging to 1.4.0 - I haven't rooted/blocked yet, but I will soon. Those years of card-loading books on pocket pcs have come in handy these last few days, but I want my wifi and DropBox back.

Agreed on the RAM. I had thought the sd expandability would be my favorite feature, but I've seen zero crashes or force closes in the month I've had the NT. Video runs smoothly off my class 4 card, and the 'pretty graphics' game I picked up hasn't choked it yet.

Didn't one of those past bug fixes disable SD recognition? I think I'm okay with missing out.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #85
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
Going to take the plunge and follow David's 3-step plan later today. Love my NT, miss my free Amazon apps of-the-day...
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #86
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There's a beta process to retain root while updating to 1.4.1. I haven't tried it yet. I might wait until the next update to make sure the update block that works in 1.4.0 still works in 1.4.1. Staying one update behind is better than nothing.

In other news, users have been very vocal at the B&N official forums about sideloading, root and bootloaders. It's tempting to think nothing can come from that, but over the past year, a number of Android phone makers have succumbed to the demands of users and walked away from the locked bootloader model. Devs at xda are continuing to explore possible weaknesses in B&N's system in the meantime.

For now, I have a great tablet that does everything I need except USB host (support that request here), and virtually everything I want. Cyanogen would be nice, but as well equipped as the NT is, debloating isn't an immediate concern for me.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #87
jelabarre59
jelabarre59 is a jewel in the roughjelabarre59 is a jewel in the roughjelabarre59 is a jewel in the roughjelabarre59 is a jewel in the roughjelabarre59 is a jewel in the roughjelabarre59 is a jewel in the roughjelabarre59 is a jewel in the roughjelabarre59 is a jewel in the roughjelabarre59 is a jewel in the roughjelabarre59 is a jewel in the roughjelabarre59 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Nook Tablet (unfortunately)
I really don't want to root the device (especially since the in-laws were talked into buying an extended warranty) since I still want to be able to get it fixed when it breaks. What I want is for B&N, along with the multitude of other obnoxious companies (you listening, Sony?) to understand that WE have bought these devices, and how we use them is OUR business.
jelabarre59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #88
boren
boren began at the beginning.

Device: none
Jelabarre, would you pay another $100 or so for the same device without the limitations? I would, but I doubt many others would. The low price tag of the NT is based on the idea of getting users to purchase content. Without this, the prices would be similar to other similarly specified tablets, and these don't cost $250.
boren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #89
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelabarre59 View Post
I really don't want to root the device (especially since the in-laws were talked into buying an extended warranty) since I still want to be able to get it fixed when it breaks. What I want is for B&N, along with the multitude of other obnoxious companies (you listening, Sony?) to understand that WE have bought these devices, and how we use them is OUR business.
That isn't necessarily a concern. I rooted mine two days after Christmas but I can easily unroot and then perform a factory restore to restore the device back to out-of-the-box condition and no one will be the wiser. It takes all of about ten minutes. Anyway, I'm just saying don't let voiding the warranty stop you. If I need to return mine under warranty, I'll just unroot, restore and send it back with them being none the wiser.

I hate the thought of being shackled to B&N's measly little selection of apps (relatively speaking, of course)

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #90
mohawk
Enthusiast

I went out and bought a Samsung Galaxy tab 7 plus for 350.00. I'm using both the Nook T and the 7plus side by side now. The question for me is Do I want an ereader with some tablet features or do I want a tablet with ereader features.