Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #151
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
yeah i agree with kenny, the Fire has quite a few advantages over the Nook color, one being access to a massive music library, a massive book library, a massive movie and tv show library, and access to more than 100 times as many apps than the nook. im not syaing all the content is good in fact alot of it junk but. the fire device is a lil better than the nook color and with the fire you have acess to the largest media library on the planet.
A rooted Nook Color gives it the advantage.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #152
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kobo Vox $199 Andriod 2.3, MicroSD and it has full access to the Market.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #153
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Kobo Vox $199 Andriod 2.3, MicroSD and it has full access to the Market.
Here's a link to the Kobo Vox product page at Kobo's website.

I think we're going to be seeing a lot of interesting, new tablets in the coming months!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #154
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Here's a link to the Kobo Vox product page at Kobo's website.

I think we're going to be seeing a lot of interesting, new tablets in the coming months!
Thanks I was so excited I meant to link to the thread in News.
I am interested! Stability concerns are really the only issue I have.

If you order through Kobo before Oct 28th you get $10 off. Making it $189. I don't have the funds right now but I want to wait for hands on reviews anyway.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #155
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
If you're interested in the Kobo Vox please educate yourself on Kobo's replacement/warranty policy specific to this device.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #156
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
If you're interested in the Kobo Vox please educate yourself on Kobo's replacement/warranty policy specific to this device.
It says it comes with a 1 year Warranty for defects.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #157
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It says it comes with a 1 year Warranty for defects.
What does that mean?

Do they pay for shipping? Remember, you'll be shipping to Canada if they don't cover it. Also factor in the turn around time to get your device back.

I bring this stuff up because folks with a Kobo WiFi are encountering a situation where Kobo considers a messed up screen to be cosmetic and won't replace the device unless you purchased a warranty.

Also, they expect you to pay for shipping unless a specific exception is made. I've heard they have changed this policy. Don't know if it applies to the Vox.

For many of the things Amazon customers take for granted, Kobo requires you buy a warranty.

Last edited by SCION; 10-19-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #158
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
What does that mean?

Do they pay for shipping? Remember, you'll be shipping to Canada if they don't cover it. Also factor in the turn around time to get your device back.

I bring this stuff up because folks with a Kobo WiFi are encountering a situation where Kobo considers a messed up screen to be cosmetic and won't replace the device.

Also, they expect you to pay for shipping unless a specific exception is made. I've heard they have changed this policy. Don't know if it applies to the Vox.
Ah. SquareTrade will fix that problem. I can get ADH plan for like $30 for 2 years like I have with my K3. So I am not worried.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #159
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Ah. SquareTrade will fix that problem. I can get ADH plan for like $30 for 2 years like I have with my K3. So I am not worried.
That's fine.

When I say messed up screen I'm not referring to something that was damaged. It's clearly a screen defect, but because there have been so many complaints in that regard, they get out of it by saying it's cosmetic now.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #160
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
That's fine.

When I say messed up screen I'm not referring to something that was damaged. It's clearly a screen defect, but because there have been so many complaints in that regard, they get out of it by saying it's cosmetic now.

Okay good to know thanks. SquareTrade will refund you the money you paid if it can't be fixed. So You can just buy another or something else.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #161
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Ouch on Kobo's part! I'll definitely keep that in mind. However, if you're willing to, ah, buy your raffle ticket, you could win the Vox. Every book you buy between now and Oct. 31 is a chance to win the Vox. Hmm, I prefer the "give us your email and see what happens" contests - except I never win!

Scion makes a great point, though, on repairs and shipping. Coby would swap out my 7024 with its known defect, but I had to pay shipping both ways and it'd be 6 to 9 weeks before I got the new one - that might have the same defect. Amazon saved me on that one! But now with the A1 pre-order, looks like I'll be in the same waiting boat if I'd done the swap (and sunk more $$ in it). Sigh. I got spoiled by my work's Galaxy tablet lovely display and now I have a hard time going back to the budget friendly 1024x600 screens.

I could save $30 on the Vox and get it a week or so sooner, but after hearing about Kobo's screen policy, I'm not sure if that's worth it. Hmm.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #162
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Kobo Vox excites me more than the other 7" tablet options. Good price and open access to Android. If the screen ends up being great, I might be tempted. I need something that can handle PDFs well, as I read a lot of PDFs for work and am tired of being stuck in front of my desktop.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #163
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post

I could save $30 on the Vox and get it a week or so sooner, but after hearing about Kobo's screen policy, I'm not sure if that's worth it. Hmm.
You could get a SquareTrade ADH plan. There is always coupons all over the net for discounts on them. If Kobo refuses to fix the device SquareTrade will refund back your purchased price once you ship the device to them. Turn around is quick and it's pretty hassle free.

I have one on my K3 till 12/12
Old 10-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #164
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I wouldn't buy anything from a company that does not stand behind their product. It doesn't matter about Square Trade, if Kobo puts out a product and there is a issue they should fix it.

I was thinking about getting one for my son I'll stay with Amazon I know for sure that they stand behind there product.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #165
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
I wouldn't buy anything from a company that does not stand behind their product. It doesn't matter about Square Trade, if Kobo puts out a product and there is a issue they should fix it.

I was thinking about getting one for my son I'll stay with Amazon I know for sure that they stand behind there product.
Amazon does have good support now if they work on their android Market the Fire might appeal to me more. I am seriously considering never buying another app there. Mantano has updated 4 times in the last two weeks and the first update has yet to even appear in the App store. They really need to change their validation process on updating apps. This is the biggest downfall of their App store besides the DRM.