Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
How to disconnect wifi connection

I see plenty of threads with people having problems connecting to wifi, but I am having the opposite problem - how do I disconnect? I thought when I exited the browser it would disconnect, but it doesn't. Do I have to let it sit for 10 minutes to go to standby instead of disconnecting? That seems like a waste of battery.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
You can turn the wireless off entirely using the switch at the bottom left of the reader. If you were to just disconnect from the wifi without turning the wireless off it would probably continue to look for connections (and reconnect if it could) until it went to standby.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks. I did know I could turn it off entirely or also turn off just wifi in the wireless control settings, but I didn't think about it continuing to look for connections. That would really use up the battery.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The other thing that I do to conserve battery is that in the settings you can have Wi-fi on and 3G off. It seems that searching for the 3G signal wastes more battery than just Wi-fi. I only turn 3G on if I am away from a Wi-fi connection and need it.

By the way, I love the photo of your kitty in your avatar. How cute!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks! Cute kitty is sitting right here with me, as usual.
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
The other thing that I do to conserve battery is that in the settings you can have Wi-fi on and 3G off. It seems that searching for the 3G signal wastes more battery than just Wi-fi. I only turn 3G on if I am away from a Wi-fi connection and need it.

By the way, I love the photo of your kitty in your avatar. How cute!
I'm glad Sony added those options because 3G coverage is terrible where I live. That was the first thing I did when I got my 950--I turned off the 3G via the menu options. Whenever I'm not using WiFi I turn it off with the bottom side button. I find that I seldom use WiFi as the browser is not very good, but then no browsers on eInk devices I have and/or have used are good.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I haven't bothered to turn off the 3G using the menu options. I find that just turning off WiFi with the side button also turns off 3G and the only time I turn the button on is when I'm planning to download a book.

I don't see the necessity of separately turning the 3G off. Is there one?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I keep wireless on all the time. I rarely use it to access the bookstore or browse the web. I mostly use it for Wikipedia, and I have a newspaper subscription delivered daily. I seem to get longer battery life with 3G off.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote