Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quick start guide translation/expansion

I've been talking with John Schember, the author of the Quick Start Guide for calibre which becomes shipped with every installation of the software. Since it was written in January and many things have changed since then, and I felt it was a good idea to translate the QSG into my mother tongue (Spanish), I asked him about the idea of translating and/or expanding the Guide.

John welcomed the idea of translating and/or expanding the Quick Start Guide, and he proposed a license to use for that. The license is, concretely, the Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike.

Therefore, I feel that, now that it's legally set and so on, it is a good idea to start a project for translating the Quick Start Guide. The Calibre team could then attach each translation to its correspondent language, which would improve the ease of use of Calibre.

I'm still working in the Spanish version of the guide, and I'll publish it as soon as possible. Nevertheless, I think the project can start now. Hereby I upload a copy of Schember's original text, with the new license added, which is the pattern for the rest of translations.

In order to translate it, the best idea IMO is to open the file with Sigil or any other .epub editor, switch on the "code view" and replace the English text with your language of choice's version.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Quick Start Guide for calibre.epub (127.4 KB, 253 views)
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Cool, ping me when you have a translation complete.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Nice idea. Since the Calibre translation, at the moment, is complete, I'll get started creating a german version of the guide.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Wish I could help with that, guys, but I'm sadly monolingual.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Wish I could help with that, guys, but I'm sadly monolingual.
You can still help The interface has changed a bit from the time when Schember wrote, so you can update the Guide with that information.

Last edited by Logseman; 11-03-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
You can still help The interface has changed a bit from what Schember wrote as well, so you can update the Guide with that information.
Yeah, about that... how are we going to handle translation of an updated guide? In my eyes, it would be senseless to retranslate the whole thing, so we'd need some kind of incremental updates. I have to admit, though, that I have no idea how to set that up.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
Logseman
Orisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Yeah, about that... how are we going to handle translation of an updated guide? In my eyes, it would be senseless to retranslate the whole thing, so we'd need some kind of incremental updates. I have to admit, though, that I have no idea how to set that up.
I had in mind that the translation and the localized updates could be done at the same time. E.G. at the same time that I'm translating the guide I could make one or two comments about the FB2 format which is very common in Spain and which calibre, a US-centric project, doesn't mention at all because FB2 is not common there. Or you, coming from Germany, could take out the Nook's comments because it's not being sold there, like the thing with PDB books. Perhaps in the European lands other brands like Cybook or Pocketbook can be mentioned since they have a firm foot here. I'd say that kind of comments can vary between the different lands. Of course, the functionality of calibre is still the same and it should be kept as it is.

And about the incremental updates... this is supposed to be a quick start guide for the tech-unsavvy. I think the size of the guide should not be much bigger than it is now, if possible. However, it is up to you in a sense. The QSG is a frame, but there should be some autonomy for each individual translator IMO.

Thanks for your interest in the project
Old 11-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

Okay, I see. I was thinking that the english version would be like the master copy and the translation just literal translations, but your way makes sense. So, in addition to translating, I'll see if I can improve or update the german version.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard

Due to Reallife interference, I'm unable to finish the translation of the guide in any sensible time. If someone else wants to take over, I'll gladly supply what little I've done until now.

(Crossposting to relevant thread in german subforum)