Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
jankovicgood
Connoisseur
jankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enough

Device: sony
Fujitsu to set up color e-book reader production plant in Taiwan

update

Last edited by jankovicgood; 12-16-2009 at 09:32 AM.
jankovicgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
That would be cool for comics and the like, but for basic book reading, I really do not see the point in a color display. It's only when you throw in images that it starts to matter.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
Yeah, but wouldn't it be great to be able to read magazines in color on it?!
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Oh, heh, didn't think about magazines. Those tend to be fairly image heavy, and would be awesome for a device with color
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
very low volume

Note that they're talking about producing only 10,000 units a year at full production capacity once they're set up. That's not a whole lot. It's either going to be for fairly specialized devices, or we won't be seeing this in the mainstream for a number of years.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
jankovicgood
Connoisseur
jankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enough

Device: sony
I think that color displays could open a new market for ebook readers. Children books have color drawings, also comics and manga. I guess if kids are learning to read, why don't get them used to read on ebook reader devices?
jankovicgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
excellent news...color needs to and will happen fairly soon I imagine and by soon I expect to see decent color options next year. I thought we might see them late this year or very early next year but with the economy and energy costs, the cost to build new plants is just out-there right now. So, development slows in terms of actual production.

As for why color, for me I want to be able to carry my tech references with full color references (photo's, diagrams, etc)...I don't see myself ever subscribing to magazines. I mean I already do not subscribe to any unless they are free and those I donate to our convalescent care center here in town without ever reading them. Better info on websites dedicated to what ever area of interest.

And while viewing web content would be a really nice thing and I know it will also happen for this type of display, I am content with static content readers of I get all my reference manuals and such on a single device...and I want a good 11" in display cuz these eyeballs just ain't what they usedtawuz... So, for me pocket portability is not a must have, unless of course we get a "scroll" sort of reader that rolls up into a cylinder with some sort of flip out frame.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:12 AM   #8
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Note that they're talking about producing only 10,000 units a year at full production capacity once they're set up. That's not a whole lot. It's either going to be for fairly specialized devices, or we won't be seeing this in the mainstream for a number of years.
Given the sluggish refresh rate of this technology (even when compared to eInk), I'm not sure I could see there being much demand outside of specialized areas anyways.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:42 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
In other news, it doesn't look like any Flepia units shipped yet. In March, when it became available for ordering, they said "expected end of May". Now site says "expected end of August". I could only find one review of a unit besides the PR photos:
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2...7/fujitsuf.htm
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Given the sluggish refresh rate of this technology (even when compared to eInk), I'm not sure I could see there being much demand outside of specialized areas anyways.
Oh, is this the tech that takes ~8 secs for a page refresh?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
ma2tak
ma2tak began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
In other news, it doesn't look like any Flepia units shipped yet. In March, when it became available for ordering, they said "expected end of May". Now site says "expected end of August". I could only find one review of a unit besides the PR photos:
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2...7/fujitsuf.htm
I read this Japanese page. http://www.frontech.fujitsu.com/serv.../paper/flepia/. We can buy it. It costs 99,750 yen(about 1000 $). Very expensive. If you order now, it will be ship the end of august 2009.Do you buy it ?
ma2tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Oh, is this the tech that takes ~8 secs for a page refresh?
Unless this is talking about something new, then yes. The device Fujitsu has been talking about for a while now is the Flepia, based on a variant of LCD. The article doesn't say that the new manufacturing plant is for the Flepia, but I would assume so.

Last time I saw any specs on it, in full color mode it had an 8 second refresh.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jankovicgood View Post
Fujitsu to set up color e-book reader production plant in Taiwan

Japan-based Fujitsu will work with a Taiwan-based company to set up a plant in Taiwan to produce cholesteric liquid crystal color e-book readers, according to Liao Chi-Chang, manager of FLEXLCD, an organization dedicated to promoting flexible LCD display.

Fujitsu will help the Taiwan company transform its STN and roll-to-roll equipment for cholesteric liquid crystal display production, and will set up an R&D center in Taiwan, Liao noted.

Fujitsu will first set up back-end e-book reader module production lines in 3-4 month, and then a complete line incorporating front- to back-end production in one year for an annual output of 10,000 color e-book readers, Liao said.

FLEXLCD, established in 2007, is managed by Liao from the Electronics and Optoelectronics Research Laboratories (EOL) of the Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI). FLEXLCD members include LCD panel maker Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO), equipment maker Contrel Technology and Kuo Sen Enterprise, and flexible copper clad laminate (FCCL) maker Taiflex Scientific.

Source: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090818PD215.html
It's on the Frankfurt Book Fairs: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...32&postcount=1
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Unless this is talking about something new, then yes. The device Fujitsu has been talking about for a while now is the Flepia, based on a variant of LCD. The article doesn't say that the new manufacturing plant is for the Flepia, but I would assume so.

Last time I saw any specs on it, in full color mode it had an 8 second refresh.
hahaha...nothing like a reader you can time page turns using a sundial.

e-ink as not exactly quick when it was new either, am I remember that right? I think it took a few seconds per page turn originally??
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote