Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-31-2016, 10:47 PM   #16
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Dordale, you are right. I took it off. I never had one for my Fire and I always use some kind of cover for it in my purse, so I think it's just not needed.

mbkimberley, here are my thoughts. All the current kindles are more similar than they are different. Essentially, they are tablets specific for ereading (you can read in sunlight) with no apps. The low end one just lacks some features. I used a PPW3 and a Voyage side by side at Best Buy yesterday - the Voyage is slightly smaller, slightly lighter and has pseudobuttons and perhaps a more evenly lit screen (although I didn't really notice any significant difference there). If you hate touch screens, you will be happier with a Voyage. If you really hate touch screens, buy a used older kindle like a Keyboard Kindle OR a Nook ST or Nook Glo. Calibre will easily convert your library for you. I don't mention Kobo only because I have no personal experience with them.

Edited to add: I did not consider storage. The new models do have more storage space. A huge plus if you have books with illustrations or have a desire to keep a large library (hundreds of books) on your unit.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-09-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:58 AM   #17
Glukkkk
Enthusiast
Glukkkk began at the beginning.

Device: Forma _ KSM-9 _ vlasovsoft
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Check our wiki, there are other differences as well.
Dale

Why should I read the wiki?
I am holding the book in 2013 and the book 2015. As a user I do not see any difference.
Paperwhite 2013/2015 differ only in memory of 2/4Gb and screen 220/300. Backlight 2013 is very soft and pleasant. And it's a big plus.
To read books enough memory size of 1 GB and 220dpi screen.
Glukkkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glukkkk View Post

Why should I read the wiki?
I am holding the book in 2013 and the book 2015. As a user I do not see any difference.
Paperwhite 2013/2015 differ only in memory of 2/4Gb and screen 220/300. Backlight 2013 is very soft and pleasant. And it's a big plus.
To read books enough memory size of 1 GB and 220dpi screen.
You did not say "I do not see any difference", you said "there is no difference". That statement is just plain wrong, and misleading to the original poster.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #19
Glukkkk
Enthusiast

ok!
"....can anyone recommend the best for the job?"
... ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶(̶2̶0̶1̶3̶ ̶P̶W̶2̶ ̶O̶R̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶5̶ ̶P̶W̶3̶)̶
" For user there is no difference (2013 PW2 OR 2015 PW3)."
So do you like more?
Or should play more words?
The question was not technical.
The man said it would be better for the end user.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
ok!
"....can anyone recommend the best for the job?"
... ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶(̶2̶0̶1̶3̶ ̶P̶W̶2̶ ̶O̶R̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶5̶ ̶P̶W̶3̶)̶
" For user there is no difference (2013 PW2 OR 2015 PW3)."
So do you like more?
Or should play more words?
The question was not technical.
The man said it would be better for the end user.
There are differences between the two.
Did you possibly mean you saw no difference in how you personally use the device?
As the others have pointed out there are numerous differences and as to the resolution yes most users would notice.
Also being able to store more books is a huge difference to the user.
I am not sure if the menu has changed.
It seems the only thing that is the same is how one reads the book.

Last edited by issybird; 02-05-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #21
Glukkkk
Enthusiast

Smile

I repeat once again.
The question was asked by the end user to think about the purchase of an electronic device exclusively for reading books.
For the end user does not have significant differences in 2013 or 2015.
Yes. Specifications are not significant differences. But...
Higher resolution (220dpi -> 300dpi) and more memory (2GB -> 4GB) have no meaning when reading a book. Our unit is designed for reading books, is not it?
So.
One page of the book takes about 1,5kb.
The 1GB can store more than 0.5 million pages, or 1,500 books.
How much time you need to read this number of pages / books?
Why keep so many books available at any time on the Internet?
So why do we need + 2GB device for reading books? Not necessary. This is another game of marketing.
Much the same can be said of the resolution.
Most users do not see any difference between 220dpi and 300dpi. And never see if you do not buy a microscope.
Moreover, many do not like "cold" light a new screen with 300dpi.
Program shell in 2013/2015 completely identical. Up to each menu / submenu ...

Many letters... :-)
Old 02-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I repeat once again.
The question was asked by the end user to think about the purchase of an electronic device exclusively for reading books.
For the end user does not have significant differences in 2013 or 2015.
Yes. Specifications are not significant differences. But...
Higher resolution (220dpi -> 300dpi) and more memory (2GB -> 4GB) have no meaning when reading a book. Our unit is designed for reading books, is not it?
So.
One page of the book takes about 1,5kb.
The 1GB can store more than 0.5 million pages, or 1,500 books.
How much time you need to read this number of pages / books?
Why keep so many books available at any time on the Internet?
So why do we need + 2GB device for reading books? Not necessary. This is another game of marketing.
Much the same can be said of the resolution.
Most users do not see any difference between 220dpi and 300dpi. And never see if you do not buy a microscope.
Moreover, many do not like "cold" light a new screen with 300dpi.
Program shell in 2013/2015 completely identical. Up to each menu / submenu ...

Many letters... :-)
Some people will notice the resolution but others won't.
Now as to the book storage: some users collect certain types of books and would like to keep the entire collection on the device.
Extra storage is not a marketing ploy.
The OP did not specify the type of reader that he/she is.
So he/she may need lots of storage.
As per how long it takes to read, it depends on the book and the person reading it.

I think I understand what you are trying to say.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Are you trying to say that all books on all devices look exactly the same?
And that the OP should just grab any old reader?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #23
Glukkkk
Enthusiast

If I'm buying reader, then the PW 2013, PW 2015 and Voyage, I would have bought PW2013 (2gb or 4gb).

Books on these devices will look the same.

PW2013: nice backlight, a sufficient memory size, low cost.
PW2015: improved performance, will not affect the quality of reading. unpleasant backlight
Voyage: high cost. problems with touch-sensitive buttons.

What will choose OP I do not know. Optimal Quality / parameters / value option I called. Then it is necessary to go to the store and choose.

PS E-book is not a reliable storage system. I would not keep her 6000 my favorite books ... :-)
Old 02-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
If I'm buying reader, then the PW 2013, PW 2015 and Voyage, I would have bought PW2013 (2gb or 4gb).

Books on these devices will look the same.

PW2013: nice backlight, a sufficient memory size, low cost.
PW2015: improved performance, will not affect the quality of reading. unpleasant backlight
Voyage: high cost. problems with touch-sensitive buttons.

What will choose OP I do not know. Optimal Quality / parameters / value option I called. Then it is necessary to go to the store and choose.

PS E-book is not a reliable storage system. I would not keep her 6000 my favorite books ... :-)
Do you mean an ereader is not a reliable storage system or that e-books are not reliable for permanent copies?
Oh and I do have over 8000 ebooks. Most of them are cookbooks. Much easier to store 8000 digitally than physically.

There is also the $79 or $99 unlit kindle with a touchscreen.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #25
Glukkkk
Enthusiast

I mean: "...e-books are not reliable for permanent copies"

"...8000 ebooks. Most of them are cookbooks."
Ohhhhhh... You need to be a great cook!!! :-)

"...There is also the $79 or $99 unlit kindle with a touchscreen."
After a backlit display you say these E-books NO !!!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I mean: "...e-books are not reliable for permanent copies"

"...8000 ebooks. Most of them are cookbooks."
Ohhhhhh... You need to be a great cook!!! :-)

"...There is also the $79 or $99 unlit kindle with a touchscreen."
After a backlit display you say these E-books NO !!!
Now I understand you.
E-books are what you put on the front lit or not front lit devices called ereaders.
I try to be a good cook.

I like my plain kindle.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #27
BretSingleton
Enthusiast
BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
it would be good if you purchase Kindle Paperwhite.
BretSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #28
mbkimberley
Enthusiast
mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mbkimberley can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: none
ok thanks for all the advice guys, think il go for the kindle voyage as that seems to be what most are recommending.
mbkimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #29
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I like the voyage
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote